CamelBak Hawg Hydration Pack Water Carrier

Hawg Hydration Pack

Camelbak Hawg Hydration Pack

Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Size, strength, stability, ruggedness

um, what weaknesses?

Sweet pack, holds everything, loses nothing. It's light, spacious, and stable on your back. Get this pack if nothing else.

Similar Products Used: CamelBack Classic, water bottles
Ryan R.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Plenty of storage room way better than the Mule, Tough built carrier has taken some hits and no rips, Bladder for 03 is way better than the 01 to 02 much better seal and now the cap is teathered to the bladder itself, Bladder loading is better than the Mule the zipper is much better than velcro, Air flow back actully works unlike the lame attempt in the 01 to 02 models, excellent cubic inch volume not too small but not to big PERFECT!

Unable to remove lumbar strap unless you cut it off yes there is pockets for them but I would much better like to just remove it. could use a better internal organizer Thats it!

This is the greatest hydration pack ever! The volume for storage is great. The mule always came up short and you always had to leave something behind. Not with the Hawg I now have removed the seatpack from my bike to lighten it up I can fit everything I need in this pack! The bladder construction and tase is much better in the 03 models than previous models. The seal is much better and doesn't leak and the bladder doesn't tase nasty like the other ones did. The dual bladder idea is great but I don't think I will ever use it. It could use a better internal organizer now that you can haul more stuff but that's petty and will probably be fixed in next years model. My only grip is that the lumbar strap can't be removed it can be stored in the pocets in the back straps but I would just like to remove it instead. The air panel really works and helps to keep you cool when it's really hot. The pack realy deos a good job at keeping the load stable I have yet to have it move around on me. This pack is simply the best on the market for hauling allot of gear ond water hence forth the name. If your looking for a pack that can fit it all and 100 oz of water too this is it. If you only haul a little get a mule but for a truly epic ride GET A HAWG! You won't be sorry PEACE!

Similar Products Used: Camelback Blowfish, Camelback Mule and the old bottle and cage
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Holds tons of gear and plenty of water, very comfortable.

A bit too bulky for shorter rides when you only need H20.

They thought of everything when they made this Camelbak.

Over the months I've been using it, I've developed my own system for using the various compartments, which allow for a great amount of gear -- multitool, tubes, chow, extra clothes, cellphone, etc. The straps are great -- very comfortable; I can wear this thing for hours, on and off the bike.

At first I was wishing that the waist strap had some kind of compartment on it for keys and such, but I just attached a key ring thingy to one of the shoulder straps and now I hook my key on there, when I need one at the ready.

The only real downside for this pack is that when I'm out for a couple hours of pure biking -- not going somewhere with stuff like extra clothes or whatever -- it's a bit too big. For hitting the trails (ATB or road), I'm considering getting a smaller pack. Something with storage only for an energy bar and tools/tube and 70 oz. of water would be ideal.

Similar Products Used: 2 water bottles and cages, regular backpack
nezined makulit   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

it has plenty of stuff to be placed in..and the new bag allows the air flows at your back, makes it comfortable and not that hot considering you've been biking for so many hours with it sitting on your back.

its heavy but its for trail riding and epic rides so it doesn't realy matter as long as you've got the things you necessary must have during those kinda'ride.

nice hydration bag..can be used on multi day biking with stop overs of course...can carry lots of loads like a couple of shirts a raincoat, other stuffs like emergency med kit..some trail foods and bars, slippers and some tools..if your a weight winny forget about it and don't carry anything and have your stuffs be carried by a more manly bike mates of yours,ok?

Similar Products Used: zefal, and other smaller camelbak with 70oz reservoir
Richard Utting   Downhiller [Jan 23, 2002]
Strength:

Loads of room but collapses down well. Stays where you put it on your back. Hydration system pretty much flawless. Really fairly waterproof, too

it beats me how they keep improving them every year

Absolutely diamond. I don't ride without it. I've battered it rithlessly and it just keeps on ruling

Similar Products Used: Other CamelBaks and a few of the imitations
RT   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2002]
Strength:

Holds everything I need (and then some). Great fit & good airflow to the back.

Expensive.

This is the most comfortable pack (hydration or otherwise, that I've ever owned. The fit is fantastic (for me, at least). I use this for riding, day hiking, in-line skating, etc. If you can afford it, buy one!

Similar Products Used: Camelback Iceback, Rouge, and many, many water bottles.
Flyer   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2002]
Strength:

Well constructed. Nice design. Easy to put all my stuff into and easy water access and filling.

I haven't found any.

I have a camelbak mule, but was finding that while it held everything I needed, there wasn't really enough room left over to stuff a jacket or other things in during the winter months and still fill the bladder completely full. I bought a HAWG because it holds my stuff, and I have room for snacks, a jacket or rain jacket during all day rides. This definately fills the bill!

Similar Products Used: Camelbak Mule
Jon   Racer [Oct 28, 2001]
Strength:

durrable
H.A.W.G.

expensive
I've heard that Camel Back supports the sierra club which doesn't make any sense
straps are kinda long

This pack is great for longer trips. Holds alot of water and gear. Bad for racing. duh.

JB   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2001]
Strength:

Lives up to its name: Holds Alot of Water and Gear!!!
Omega Res. is easy to clean, and easy to put ice in. Suspension straps keep the pack firmly on the back.
Much better than the water bottle!!!Probably the best invention in cycling history!!!
Water-Resistant to a certain degree, good places to hold pump, tools, shoes, map, and keys.
Great Hydrolock system!!!Great Padding!!!

Haven't found any yet

The HAWG has been tested in the field and has classic technology by the makers of CamelBak. This hydration pack stands up to all who try to live up to it's name --"down blackburn, hydrapack, scwhinn, etc." Go Camelbak

Similar Products Used: The Platypus 70 oz system (the no namer), lots of bottles
Clevor   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2001]
Strength:

I like the design of the Hawg such as the use of compression straps top and bottom. Lots of pockets and a keychain loop. The crimson pack actually looks pretty nice with the yellow contrasting zipper pulls and logo. The color is not too dull and not too bright. A textured surface is used for the contrasting grey Cordura.

Very good independent harness a la expensive backpacks, and a wide hip belt. I recommend people forego the Mule and Blowfish and spend the extra $20 on the Hawg, since it has an insulated pocket for the hydration tube and comes standard with the Big Bite valve. The Hawg is not that bulky and heavy at all.

Paper thin Cordura! Measly 1-year warrantee!

What prompted me to write this review is to criticize the thin layer Cordura and lousy warrantee on the Camelback products. If you ever used pro backpacking/hiking products from the companies mentioned above, you will notice they use very thick, heavyweight Cordura, and all their products come with a lifetime warrantee.

The fact the Cordura is lightweight and given the short 1-year warrantee means if the product comes apart or is torn easily, you are on your own. The Camelbacks are also rather expensive considering they are mainly small capacity backpacks/hydration carriers.