CamelBak Classic Water Carrier

Classic

Camelbak Classic 70oz Hydrapack is the original Hydrapak. Often imitated, never quite as good, the Classic is the perfect minimalist design for the trimmed down hammerhead that hates the bottle.

Lynn Faust   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2017]
Strength:

Comfort, fit, durable

My husband and I have used our Camelbak Classic for years. We use them for races, short XCs, and even long mountain bike rides. I've fallen on it, snagged it, sweat endlessly and washed it. It still hold up well. We use it when we go into bigger mountain rides, but we have to loop back to the car to refill it. So, if you are out for a mulit-hour ride and in the middle of nowhere, you may want to go with a bigger pak. I would recommend the Camelbak to anyone, hikers, children, bikers, hunters, anyone out who needs hydration and a small pocket for essentials such as keys, phone, and a few goos.

Corporal Punishment   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight, fits well, simple

No storage

Works great for what it is. Don't expect to put much in that little pocket. Best to clean: put a drop of dish soap and a little bleach. Shake and rinse several times. Then baking soda and a little vinegar to get rid of the bleach. Rinse a couple more times. No need to dry - just fill it with clean water and call it a day. Don't spend money on camelbak's cleaning solution when 10 cents worth of bleach, soap, baking soda and vinegar can do the trick in the same amount of time.

Someone complained that the tube was too long - you can either cut it or just push the slack back into the bag.

MartyB   Downhiller [Mar 15, 2009]
Strength:

Appears to be a potentially ideal accessory for use described below.

That's what I'm interested in.

Lots of reviewers have commented about the Camelbak Classic for cyling, but I'm considering it for hydration during winter downshill SKIING. At high altitude in the Rockies, hydration is critical, but it's a pain to hassle with going inside every few runs just to get grab a drink of water. With its low profile and 70 oz. capacity, the Classic seems like it might be ideal for this purpose. The limited space for carrying odds and ends, about which many have written, isn't an issue in this case, since ski jackets typically have plenty of pockets and skiers don't often carry repair tools on the slopes. I've "prerated" the Classic with 5 Chillis, optomistically hoping that it will be a perfect solution for winter sports, but I'd be very interested in learning what others who own the Classic might have to say about the product in that applications. Thanks in advance.

snafu5962   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2009]
Strength:

all of the quality you would expect from Camelbak, accessories available, light weight

little storage area, no MP3 player pocket...what do you expect for $40 though?

Its a great pack if you are a beginner or short distance rider. It only provides 2 hours of hydration.

Similar Products Used: Camelbak M.U.L.E.
nuck_chorris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2009]
Strength:

carries alot of water for me, pretty comfortable,nice bite valve.

not enough room for tools, got the wrong color(only color jenson had)red.

it has enough room for my necessitates,like my inhaler and cellphone.ill probably get a bigger one and use that one for shorter rides. alot of people want it from me so i guess its got the cool factor.

Similar Products Used: water bottle cage?
chelboed   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2008]
Strength:

Bite valve works very well. Bite valve lock is useful when you have the pack sitting on the ground for some reason...water won't come out. Huge bladder mouth makes it easy to clean.

Not enough storage for what I want. If you go to the Camelbak website and search for a pack based on your cargo/fluid needs though...then you should find one to fit. I can't give this pack a negative review for lack of storage because one should know what they need prior to picking a pack.

I got this as a gift from my wife and has served me well for 2 years. I carry an Ultraflate CO2 inflator with an extra CO2, patches, and either a Specialized EMT Comp or Park IB2 multi-tool.

There is not enough room for a spare tube, but I've been stuffing one inside next to the bladder. Has worked fine with no issues. I have a spare pouch for my cell phone and pager when I'm on-call.

Bottom line is that this is a good pack for someone who doesn't need to carry much. I'm switching to the Dakine Session so I can carry my tool, tire levers, tube, cell, pager when I'm on call, and a bit of food for longer rides.

By the way...who the crap carries "wipes" in their pack??? That's the goofiest thing ever!! You're mountain biking people...you're supposed to get dirty. Take a shower when you're done riding, Mary!!

Dave   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2003]
Strength:

Great for what it's designed for, 1-4 hour rides. If you don't want to carry a bunch of baggage on your back this is the ticket.Water flows on demand. Used it for eye wash once.

It holds 70 oz. res.(3 water bottles) and keys and wallet, Bladder sticks out of the top when full. About 3" of 16" sticks out when full.

This pack is relatively small but that is what I want. I'd rather carry gear on my frame than on my back(Legs vs shoulders/back). I carry two water bottles with cytomax, a few Gu's and use the camel back to wash it down. Add a small saddle pack for tools,spare tube,etc. I don't stop so I don't need a spare jacket. I generally overdress and sweat alot anyways. My pump's on my frame.
Cleaning tip -I've found about 1/2 cup bleach in a sink full of skalding water kills all odors and germs.Rinse & Freeze.

Similar Products Used: Platypus, water bottles
Casey Holbrook   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2007]
Strength:

Lots of water=more refreshment.
Won't bounce off your bike like a watter bottle.

Not too much storage

If you are using waterbottles, buy this. If you want to carry a multi tool, cell phone, AND a banana or something, you may want something a little bigger.

Similar Products Used: Water bottles
Sam   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Holds a lot of water (2 liters) for those long rides and it keeps your water very cool in the summer. Easy to drink out of, the water flow is great.

It lacks storage space. It has a small zip-up pocket that has enough room to put my keys and cell phone in. If I squeeze everything pretty tight maybe I can fit a power bar in there.

The Classic is a great hydration pack. It holds lots of water and it fits great. I have never had a problem with it running up my back or it having too much slack. The straps can be adjusted to a great fit and the sternum strap really holds the pack in its place. The Classic also comes with a bungee cord strap to hold a shirt or something light on the outside. It can be a little bit of a pain to dry the bladder but just go get the drying hanger and it dries it in a flash. The only problem is the lack of storage space, but if you want more space move up to the Rogue, it's only $10 more (I think) Other than that, I fully recommend this Camelbak.