CamelBak Bandido Water Carrier

Camelbak Bandido

[Sep 21, 1998]
mike
racer

I used to run 2 waterbottles on the frame and wear a small fanny pack for the bare necessities. Waterbottles being the pain in the ass that they are while racing, and loathing having something on my back, the Bandido seemed the obvious choice. First off, it's big, very big for a fanny pack, and takes some getting used to. I made it thru the honeymoon, and the advantages of this thing far outweigh any disadvantages. It's built very ruggedly, with one small exception...the stitching that attaches the pouch on the right side started to unravel, probably due to the fact that I carry my niterider battery there, which is fairly heavy. I simply stitched it back up myself with some super heavy duty nylon thread, and it's good to go. Other than that, the thing seems capable of dealing with whatever punishment it get. I was a little worried about the snap/clasp buckle at first, 'cause you really have to cinch the straps down hellishly tight with a full load of water to keep it from flopping around, but no problems yet. Plan on tightening the main strap at least once during your ride/race as the water is used up, even though it has those cool little strap-tightening pull rings. The bandoleer style strap that holds/guides the tubing over the shoulder takes some getting used to as well, but every strap is easily adjustable while riding. The placement of the storage areas at the sides of the pack is particularly helpful when dealing with a flat or mechanical during a race...you don't have to take the pack off or even loosen it...very convenient and fast. My left side compartment holds a superflate, 2 CO2 cartridges, tube, 2 tire levers, 3 allens, CPR-9 tool, and a film can w/ spare bolts and chain links. That leaves plenty of room elsewhere for lunch...

[Aug 05, 1999]
Beethead

Strength:

Low center of gravity beats the back pack style anyday. Its cooler on my back than having a heavy pack. Fanny pack style fits nicely in small of your back, and is VERY comfortable with a wide enough belt. I had to search to find it since most local stores did not sell the fanny pack style Camelback.

The tube has further to travel from pack to your mouth so unless you buy the insulation padding accessory, the water gets a bit hot in the tube for the first few sips. I have also seen ice packs for Camelbacks that you put next to the water bladder to keep your water cool, but I have not tried these accessories yet.

My new carbon frame bike doesnt fit a bottle cage except where I cannot reach at the bottom of the bike frame, so I had no more excuses not to get a Camelback. I'm used to wearing fanny packs as I like to carry my stuff at a lower center of gravity for balance, and it's not as hot on your back, so I was thrilled to find a fanny pack style Camelback. The water in the tube gets a little hot, but you can always spit out the first sip, or try the accessory options to keep the water cool. I give the Bandito CINCO habanero chiles because it's red hot!

water bottles

[Jan 05, 2001]
Brian

Strength:

Low center of gravity, cool on the back, perfect size for most rides.

Resevoirs no longer available. Hideous colours.

Awesome product. Five chillies if you could still buy the reservoirs.

standard backpack style - different manufactures

[Dec 28, 1999]
Herb
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

great deal from sierrasurplus.com ($54.95, free shipping, no tax!); good for 1-2 hour rides;

tube 3-4 too short! (for me, anyway)

64 oz. reservoir perfect for shorter rides; not too bulky/heavy, enough room for water, tools & tube, pump, keys, a few bucks, and some snacks. Would go to H.A.W.G. or MULE for longer rides.

[Jul 14, 1999]
Travis N. Sluiter
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

ergonomic, comfortable, does not slosh around while pedaling

have to tighten as you drink (that's unavoidable I'm sure), the velcro pump strap looks flimsey

I bought this last July in Moab for way too much ($105), but it was freaking hot, and my Rogue had just died. Besides, I don't like the backpack style water systems. This is very comfortable, and once it's on all I have to do is tug on the O-rings every so often as I drink. If you have large objects in the side pockets, these stick out, and on tight singletrack I scrape theme against trees a lot. Also, I'm always scared my pump won't be there, because the velcro strap is hard to wrap tightly. But in spite of these complaints, this is the best hydration system I have ever seen, and I love it. I usually carry this with water, and a bottle with an energy drink to keep the camelback clean. Five stars.

Rogue, dozens of water bottles

[Jul 12, 1999]
Mac

Strength:

Compact and Low Center of Gravity, yet stores alot of stuff.

Although the pack keeps the water in the bladder cold, the water that is in the tube gets warm (almost hot). Therefore, the first couple of sips (after none for 5 minutes or so) is hot.

I just got the Bandito on Friday, and took it up to the Camba Trail system in Wisconsin for the weekend. Don't know how I lived without one. I'd always used fanny pack with 2 side water bottles that would bounce and slosh all over the place. The Bandido rides very nicely in the small of your back and stays put. It keeps your center of gravity lower and doesn't cover your back, therefore keeping your back from getting hot and sweaty. Lots of room for junk (tools, food, and even a jacket or sweat shirt - it has what they call a stuff-it panel.) Has many adjustments, (many which can be made while you are riding) to keep the unit in place, even as you continue to drink from it, thus changing its size.The only draw back I found was that the water that's in the tube gets almost hot from the sun heating up the water. Therefore you first couple of sips are hot, and you have to pull about 3 big sips to get to cold water. I noticed on their website that they use a insulated tube on their winter sports units. I'm going to see about getting one for mine. It would be nicer to have alittle more water storage. At 6' 3 220 lbs, I can go through alot of water in a short time, but add backup water bottle and make sure you are hydrated before you take off, and it's fine. I would recommend this to anyone who isn't crazy about the back pack style units. I give it 4 stars (it needs an insulated tube and more water to get a 5)

Water Bottles and Fanny Packs

[Dec 20, 1998]
colin
cross-country rider

I have had one of these for about a year. The concept is great (waist mount not back mount). The pack is very good overall. It does have a shortcoming. The problem I had was with the side pockets (not available on the 99 model). I tried to carry a battery for my helmet light in the side pocket and the stitching came undone. I know that batteries a really heavy but this was a logical place to put the battery and should have been expected by Camelback. I sent it back to them (I eventually had both side pockets ripped) with a note explaining. They sent me a brand new one (with the same side pockets) in a short period of time. Kudos to their customer service. The only minor problem is the slot to stick your pump on doesnt hold a standard pump very securely. I recommend some sort of shorty pump. This works excellent with the pack. Ill shut up now.

[Aug 18, 1998]
Rollingbones

I waz usin the Performance Spinal Pack. I was generally satisfied with it except for those warmer days (like we get here in Northern CA) when ya sweat like crazy down yer back under that boat anchor on yer back...drip...drip. I saw the Bandito displayed at a club meeting and became quickly impressed. I bought on pronto. My storage area for stuff increased almost double with this pack. The weight is carried lower giving me more control whhile riding. The straps secure quite nicely and are easily adjustable as the bladder is emptied out. And oh yea, it carries plenty of water for the type of riding I do.. I especially like the two little side pouches for E-Z access. GREAT HYDRATION PACK!!! Five Chile's

[Aug 03, 1998]
JES
weekend warrior

I got a Bandito for XMAS. Great pack. Previously I had the GO-BE, I prefer to
have a pack around my waist, its not as hot, its secure and keeps a low center of gravity. I have had one problem with the Bandito. Took a nasty fall, broke the clasp (buckle). Camelbak did warrantee the pack, however, it took three months to get it back. Part of the problem was for shop not sending immediatley, then Camelbak, lost the pack in the warehouse, took 3 weeks to find. After much complaining, the next searched and next day shipped to the shop.Overall - the pack holds plenty of water, has LOTS of storage, the additional tightening straps are a real plus over the GO-BE. I give it 5 chilis

[Jul 30, 1998]
Robert
racer

I've had my Bandido for almost 6 months now, and I am surprised this is the first post. It's great! I never warmed up to the idea of having something strapped to your back, so the Bandido was a perfect fit. The weight is distributed nicely around your mid section, and the side and rear pockets, albeit not overly large, hold enough of your equipment essentials to get you through a long day of riding. The nicest feature is the side pull cords that allow you to tighten the pack as your load (of water) diminishes. This prevents any unnecessary flopping around of the bag. It's fairly durable and comes in some cool colors.Two quick negatives: 1) The compartment that holds bladder is a bear to zip closed when the bladder is full. BE CAREFUL!, & 2) My first one broke a strap after 1 month, and although it was eventually replaced free of charge, FastTraks' customer service is somewhat disorganized. So keep ion top of them!Overall, 4 Chilis!