Blackburn Hydrapack Water Carrier

Blackburn Hydrapack

Rich   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

Holds lots of stuff. Many pockets internal and external, external bungee. Not too bulky.

Cargo and reservoir compete for space. I would expect that to be true for all reasonably sized packs.

After 5 years I finally broke it. I tore a shoulder strap off in a crash. Interesting that everyone complains about the bite valve on all packs but most give the Camelbak 5 chillies anyway and the Blackburn 1 chillie. I don't get it.

Anyway, my hydrapak has served me very well for the past 5 years. No complaints about the bite valve, mine never leaked and it is the best bite valve I have tried so far.

I don't know what my next pack will be but the Blackburn will definetly be considered.

Similar Products Used: Platypus spray skirt hydration pack.
Allen S   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

Very light weight, Valve took some time to get used to but nice. Easy to clean, fill like open top design

Pressure valve will soak you if you don't stow in the right place. I cannot find a replacement bladder!

I use this product while playing scenario paintball, after a couple of hours of running around on the field, you can build up quite a thirst. I imagine that playing paintball is more abusive on hydration systems only because they see more regular abuse. I have used this pack for 4 years and it does need a new bladder but the pack is otherwise in great shape. I give it a 10+ for the price

Similar Products Used: N/A
Bob   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2002]
Strength:

Overall Pack is good, lots of pockets, durable so far, innovative fill system for the bladder.

Valve leaks like an SOB. After a ride one side of me is always soaked from that piece o' crap. It worked fine for one ride, but hey, some of us do actually ride occasionally.

Good pack for the occasional rider, but unless you are one of the lucky few who doesn't get a defective valve, your gonna get wet until you buy a new bladder. Add the cost of a new bladder into the equation and the value kinda sucks.

Similar Products Used: Camelback (yeah, the original)
Doug Gangi   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2003]
Strength:

Nice and roomy pockets, bungee tie down, comfort, new Hydrapack bladder and bite valve - best on the market in my opinion

Old Hydrapack bite valve (spring-loaded)

I purchased this pack about 4 years ago and have been very happy with the pack. It's not overly bulky on the outside but can really hold a lot of stuff - 2 tubes, my pump, an Alien toolkit, cell phone, granola bars, and LOTS of water. The pack has been abused, fallen on, dragged around, and it still functins as well as the day I bought it. And the pack is very comfortable.

The original Hydrapack bladder and bite valve were just so-so. But they were definitely better then the slit-valve in the Camelbacks!! The spring-loaded bite valve on the Blackburn had some issues -- after 3 years the o-ring would not seal up any more and it would drip water. And it took some getting used to as you could not just "suck" on the valve -- you had to grab it with your teeth and push in the valve with your tongue. Not the most intuitive way of drinking, but you could really gulp down water once you got the hang of it.

The old Hydrapack bladder also had a small screw-on lid that always leaked. I hated it.

HOWEVER, the "new" Hydrapack bladders (now a spin-off from Blackburn) are the BEST! The bite valve is SO easy to use and it is completely foolproof. It never leaks. And the easy-fill bag is GREAT! If I could give the new bladder 10 chilis, I would. And it is durable -- last week I fell on my back in a crash and landed square on my Hydrapack. It was full so I just laid on top of it teetering...waiting for it to pop. But it held up.

Overall I have to give this 5 chili's even though the original Hydrapack bite valve had issues. Given how tough as this pack has been over the 4 years and how great the new Hydrapack bladder is, I'm going to keep this pack for many years to come!

Similar Products Used: Camelback
Hendrik Huebscher   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

Bladder leaks, is hard to fill. Cleaning is a pain. Trying to get excess air out of the bladder normally ends up in a mess. The so called bite valve is a joke.

I don't understand why this product has gotten any positive reviews. Maybe the leaking bladder is just a defect (happens) but the rest of this pack is just bad, bad, bad. My advise - don't!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: SuperGo Gulp with Camel Back bladder
Sevenzero   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

Fits good, stays put when jumping, keeps liquid cold for hours, holds gloves, tube, patch kit, pump, keys, cash, even my good luck Barney doll!
- Non disco space traveler styling -

Zipper derails every once in a while

This pack rocks, if you are not afraid to have brand whorz gawk and point at you, buy it! These type of products are personal prefrance items.
I had an incedent where my pack leaked and I got soaked with Gatorade, it sucked! But it was my fault, the screw cap was not tight enough. The cap needs to be a little tighter than I though was needed, but it has never leaked again. I have two bladders now, a 70oz and 100oz the 70oz is the screw cap style and the 100oz is the folding style, I use only Gatorade in my pack and it will turn the hose colors, SuperGo sells a cleaning kit for hydration packs. I just pull the bladder out when I get home, run warm water through it a few times shaking it around, dump all the water out and hang it on clothes hanger with the cap off or the end open, so far so good... Also to kill the taste, plastic absorbs, so try leaving something you like the taste of in it for a few days, it would be better if it was concentrated, like that Hawiian punch syrup concentrate in a bottle, but this wil also die the plastic.

Ride On...

Similar Products Used: The garden hose, sesame street drink boxes
Jee Doy   [Sep 17, 2001]
Strength:

Compact

Dark color absorbs heat; cleaning kit is extra; hose must be aligned; storage not practical;

Will continue to use it and clean with a mix of water and chlorine bleach to prevent bacteria, mildew. Drying is a task. Mine is a folding type so I use a pvc plastic tube (from Home Depot, plumbing) to keep the orfice open for drying. Plastic tube also allows hair dryer to be inserted, for brief time, to dry out inside. Hose still has condensation problem so will try balloon inflator pump to blow out the remaining water residue.

Similar Products Used: none
Dusto   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2001]
Strength:

comfortable
plenty of water storage
enough storage space for tool's tube pump etc.
elastic pull cords keep a jacket or extra clothing

leaks a bit
not breathable at all
i've herd that powerade and other drinks rot the blatter
the hose yellows after time

great day pack nice and light so you hardly know it's there so much better than bottles on longer rides and keeps your drinks nice and cold

Similar Products Used: older hydrapack
mike   cross-country rider [Mar 26, 1998]

*****************Having problems cleaning your Camelbak?******************** First: DO NOT BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Instead of that $15 device that effectively dries out your bladder, USE A BENT HANGER!
Second:when cleaning your bladder, do not buy those expensive cleaners or even soap. The former doesn't leave a residue, but using Palmolive will leave an aftertaste of soap for about 20-30 uses. Instead, let the fungus sit in ARM'N'HAMMER baking soda for a few hours. No nasty aftertaste, and all the fungus is gone.
Source:I haven't learned these things from wasting money, I just listened to my mother who has cleaned things effiecientlt much longer than I have been alive. Try it, it works!!!

Bill   cross-country rider [Jul 26, 1997]

I was using my Hydrapck for 6 months and loved it. The zippered storage pocket had plenty of room foor my tools,food,jacket. The water blader was big enough for the usual three hour ride. Four chilies for desing.ONE CHILIE FOR DURABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The spring loaded bite valve sucks. The spring streched inbetween the moving part of the mouthpeace causing it to leak horibily. Overal 2.5 chilies.