GoPro Helmet Hero Wide Video Cameras

GoPro Helmet Hero Wide Video Cameras

The Digital Helmet Hero mounts to your helmet. The Digital Hero 3 uses a wrist strap and was originally designed with surfing in mind. All models are waterproof to 100 feet.

The GoPro Digital Hero 3 is about to start a new revolution in cycling, allowing you to film your rides in one simple and easy to use package. This item has both the lens and recording device in one compact package! When you add a 2 Gb Secure Digital(SD) card you get a camera that can take up to 54 minutes of video complete with sound.

[Oct 03, 2012]
Jared Shroyer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great features. Very cheap for what you get. Lots of options if you want to go do other activities with the same camera. Personally i enjoy biking, autocross racing, and snowboarding. Hence this works great. I use a lot of the options. Plus the ability to shoot in many different settings helps a lot.

interface is not the greatest to use but is manageable. The sound quality is much better on the HERO2 which my buddy has but the original Hero isnt that good.

Overall i would say its a great buy. I spent very little money on it but have used it a lot. case has been replaced a few times due to "mistakes" in the field. Have not tried underwater testing but in heavy rain its still very good. i have used this camera a lot. It isnt the pretties thing but it works very well. I plan to upgrade to the HERO2 next spring but am waiting due to a recent purchase of a new bike and snowboard.

[May 14, 2011]
laronvonbaron

Strength:

total crap quality loose cases loose mounts camera stops its self

crap save your money and buy a drift these GoPro's are not worth a single cent

drift

[Jul 19, 2010]
chrisatmtbtips

Strength:

Simple operation, easy to use buttons, functions and options. Small, lightweight. Good video clarity with OK sound - check out the results at mtbtips.com. Battery time is very good - a couple of hours from a full charge easy. Brackets and mounts are good - very adaptable, useful and strong.

Turns off unexpectedly. It doesn't matter if the camera is moving or still, full sun or in the shade. And it turns off at anytime; after 14 seconds, after 2 minutes, 3 mins 19 secs, whenever; which is really frustrating when I'm making videos for my mountain biking website which are usually 5 minutes or so in length. On top of that you don't always realise when it's turned itself of. Finding out you haven't got all the footage you thought you're back home and editing is VERY frustrating. Looks like I'm not the only one who experiences this problem.

Also, lack of a rear LCD screen is a weakness. A rear LCD screen would take the guess-work out of finding the area of view. I know they've got one coming to attach to the back of the unit, and I can't wait, but it seems to be behind schedule. GoPro originally stated July 2010 for the LCD backpack, but I'm starting to hear late 2010.

Overall good product which produces great quality video, but my satisfaction is slowly being deteriorated by the frustration I get from a camera that turns itself off whenever it likes. Would be 5 chilis, but took one off for no LCD and another chili off for unexpected camera shut-downs; the latter means I can't really recommend it to others...

...imagine hammering your favourite trail, 20 minutes from top to bottom, only to find out at the bottom (or worse still when you got home) that the camera only recorded the first 2 minutes of footage! :(

[Dec 27, 2009]
billbill357

Strength:

Tough, wide angle lens, versitile

The video quality is OK, even just plugging it into the TV the video is still choppy. Audio is crap. Even without the case on, the microphone isn't as good as a 10$ disposable video camera's microphone. When you ride you don't hear sounds, you hear vibrations off of whatever your camera is mounted on. I feel like GoPro stuck a crappy microphone on it just to raise the price 30$

Pretty good camera. They might as well not put a mic on it. In my opinion I would recommend keep saving your $$$ and buy the HD Hero

[Dec 25, 2009]
egsavio

Strength:

Light, comes with several mount devices, easy.
Nice stabilization of image, even about fast DH.
Almost two hours of battery life.

Can't use alkaline battery.

It is a bit expensive for a simple device. Always it works fine.

[Dec 16, 2009]
mtg7aa
Downhiller

Strength:

Weatherproof, cheap, lots of mounting options

Unusably short battery life, shuts off so often during use that I just assume it won't record an entire DH run.

Don't waste your money on this product that works intermittently- it just leads to frustration ("why the F did it not record my race run again!!???!!")

Here's the deal on this camera (non-HD Hero Wide): it kept shutting off on me after only recording for a few minutes; I emailed customer service, and after awhile of emails back and forth, they told me the camera will only record if the batteries are supplying 2.4 volts. Considering that the batteries they tell you to use (Energizer NiMH rechargeable) are rated for 2.4 volts nominally (two of them in series), this means they designed the camera to only operate when the batteries are supplying more voltage than nominal, ie brand new/fresh off the charger. Once they reach their nominal voltage output, the camera turns off. This is what I consider to be a poor design.
It seems that there is enough variability in the Energizer batteries that some people get a "hot" set that work fine, but most people I've talked to have a similar issue as me.

[Dec 12, 2009]
CoconutFish

Strength:

Great all-around camera, especially taking single-track footage and recon riding. Wide-angle lens works wonders

Clips easily break, I already broke both clips. I glued the clip directly to the helmet mount to fix the problem.

Ever since I acquired this cam, I've been taking a lot of ride footage on my trail sojourning. And have been on constant record on where my tire should move to achieve constant speed.

Although the only problem with the GoPro Hero, is the clips. The clips that mount to the shoe of helmet mount. These clips break-easily, and thats so sad. I broke both of the clips included. And buying another one would be costy. So I had one of the clips glued on my helmet-mount's shoe.

But performance wise, this is one hell of a camera.

[Dec 03, 2009]
Cousinkong

Strength:

Great all in one camera.Great picture especially for singletrack. The wide angle lets you see the whole trail and isn't to shaky.

The sound is a touchy. The camera has the ability to have high or low volume but all you get while riding is wind noise.

I Love to use this every time I ride. All the other complaints about it shutting off are solved by reading the owners manual and setting the camera up to run non-stop. I only gave it four chilis for value because of the sound quality, but I didn't get the camera to hear myself riding.

[Aug 24, 2009]
DirtyRottenScoundrel

Strength:

I actually only payed $60 after the REI dividend check and 20% discount. Easy to use. Shoots good video at 512x384. 5 megapixel stills make awesome screen saver slide shows or desktop wall papers.

.AVI has to be converted in order to edit in Adobe Premier. Although I have never lost video with a fresh set of batteries, some pics were blurred.

I wouldn't go out and buy this as your home video camera or only video camera, but if you overlay the video taken with this thing on top of some HD camcorder video - it makes for some great possibilities. Have someone record you attacking an obstacle (hard climb or downhill section) while you do a helmet cam perspective or handlebar mount looking at yourself. Then combine the two with some video edditing software and you are on your way to making great biking movies.

Oregon Scientific

[Jul 24, 2009]

Strength:

small easy the adyust

i think somtime she lost some sequence of video sound its not the best

with chest mount system from gopro the cam films without any shuter!! best cam for money!! video quality is top!!

nothing for this price