Minoura Magturbo Ergo Trainer

Magturbo Ergo

• magnetic system
  • may be used outside because it doesn't need any electric power source

• User Reviews (9)

robdlt   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2011]
    Strength:

I ride it with my mountain bike tire and at the end of a session I find bits of rubber, I need a slick tire. The hassle has prevented me from doing it.

For $60 and it performs fine for me.

Similar Products Used: Al Kreitler Rollers
    Robert   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2009]
    Strength:

Works great so far. Bought it used from a guy down the street who never used it.

Definitely recommended if you have knee issues and/or live in a seasonal cycling world.

Greg   [Nov 19, 2003]
    Strength:

-Easy setup & breakdown
    -Reliability
    -Price (compared to other trainers)
    -Customer Service / Company support

This review is for the '03 Minoura 850D

I've used Minoura trainers for about 2 years. The first one (older MagTurbo) died after I backed over it with the car. I bought this one around Jan-03, and use it every day. This has been a great trainer for me. The setup is extremely easy, of which the really cool feature is the quick release footpedal used to make contact between the roller and tire. Once you set it up you don't need to ever mess with it unless you switch to a different size tire. Because I'm limited on living space I also breakdown and store it away after every workout, and it has survived been dropped, bumped into steel corners, and sandwiched between toolboxes during moves.

This is a great trainer for anyone looking for a durable and reliable basic trainer that doesn't need our want all the electronic gismos that the other guys try to hook you with.

Similar Products Used: Backburn trackstand
    Performance Fluid (old 1st generation model)
    Bob   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2002]
    Strength:

Sturdy, easy setup,7 resistance levels, Bicycling magazine gave this 4 out of 5 chainrings.

If you want a good workout and don't need to know cadence,speed,etc., this is an excellent product for the money. It is not overly noisy either. I like to release the tension on both the skewer and the mag unit from the tire in between workouts. If you use a mountain bike on this trainer it is highly recommended you use a slick tire. A 1 1/2" wood block under the front tire levels the bike. This was on sale at Bicyclebuys.com for under $100 with shipping ! I bought it at the shop I bought my MTB from just to support the locals !!

Marcus   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2003]
    Strength:

Um, frame looks like it wouldn't bend too easily

Very poor weak cheap plastic covers on the flywheel and resistance unit. Unit damaged (resistance flywheel bent warped) out of the box.

Okay so this thing is damaged out of the box. I email minoura and the guy tells me it'll be here friday. Doesn't arrive till tuesday. The replacement is warped too!! Talk about quality control problem. Looks like I'll be buying a different brand.

Similar Products Used: rollers, from nashbar. cheap but awesome.
    Slide   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2002]
    Strength:

Nice paint job, quiet, worked great.

None noted.

This got me through the first four weeks after a broken collarbone/AC separation until I could get back on the road. One more month and I'll be back on the trails! Four chilis because I have nothing to compare it to.

Similar Products Used: None.
    Tony B   Racer [Jan 14, 2005]
    Strength:

Nice frame

All the plastic housing cracked and caused the magnets to rub.

Disappointing

Similar Products Used: Blackburn
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2002]
    Strength:

Bombproof, 7 levels of resistance, quiet, can run any type of bike or tire

Nothing...

This is a no nonsense trainer that does it's job without a lot of bells an whistles attached. I've hammered this thing for two years now and it has never given me one problem.

Similar Products Used: Fluid Trainers… fluid ends up on the floor, fan resistance is noisy, rollers require you to stay awake, Older style rim rollers burnt out fan belts every month. Stay away from all of these evil things :- )
    Jerry   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2008]
    Strength:

quiet, easy to use

plastic frame holding resistance mechanism disintegrated into many peices after about 50 uses over 2 years. unit is useless. very disappointing. I suspect poor quality plastic or screws/bolts stressed plastic until it cracked and fell apart. not good design and/or manufacturing. I am only 170 pounds and use things carefully.

don't buy this product