Minoura Interim Trainer Trainer

Minoura Interim Trainer

Adam Carlson   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Very easy to use, don't have to change tires to a slick and super quiet

None at this point, except should be easier to switch between wheel sizes

I highly recommend this trainer. When I bought this trainer by Bayview Cycle Centre, they had a few set up on the bikes are they asked me to try the different models. I've glad they did, because I was looking for a tire driven unit, but found it too noisey.

Similar Products Used: Used a Blackburn trainer
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2002]
Strength:

This trainer is easy to set up and smooth. I have only been using it for 3 months, but get a great workout. I have not had any problems with slipping. Since I am not a power rider, the resistance is adequate for me to get my heart rate up.

The adjustable resistance does not have much range and strong riders will easily max this out. Other than that, so far, this has been a great product.

This is a good trainer to get the legs pumping and heart rate going on those cold days. An increase in the max resistance would make this trainer a 5.

Similar Products Used: None - my first trainer
Zachary Orsulak   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2001]
Strength:

Great trainer for XC, DS, DH riders. The most prominent benefit is not having to switch from knobby to semi-slick or slick tires just to use a trainer.

Could definately use a bit more resistance. (On my old trainer, the highest setting was near impossible...I liked that) Also, it might cause some problems (or not be compatible) with disk-specific rims...I'm really not sure. Might want to check it out before buying one.

Overall, this is a great trainer for any type of rider, especially mountian bikers of any discipline. If you're a roadie, you might consider going with a standard setup trainer or rollers...as you'd get a bit more resistance. Other than that it's a great trainer! Great for warming-up before a race without having to switch tires/wheels.

Similar Products Used: Minoura
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2004]
Strength:

Easy to set up. Quick and easy to mount the bike.Quiet, smooth

none that I've seen

This is what I've been looking for.
I bought it with the remote and it is worth the extra cost, it allows you to change the resistance to simulate hills or flat at any rpm you wish without missing a tick.
quiet, I don't even have to turn the tv up to hear it when I'm on the trainer.
Unit apears to be very well made and is completely stable in any position I'm in. (148 lb. rider)
it is so pleasant to use that I look forward to using it.

Similar Products Used: old wind trainer
Seth   Racer [Apr 18, 2001]
Strength:

no tire wear; works for knobbies and slicks as the resistance comes from the rim and not the tire

WILL NOT WORK WITH ROLF ROAD WHEELS; NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT FOR ROLF OWNERS; more resistance would be nice.

I have a new bike and tried to set it up with the Inter-rim trainer. The Rolf Vector Comp wheels slips and slides. No amount of adjustment helps. It worked fine for every mountain bike rim I've tried. It worked fine for the MA-40 rims I used to have. It works fine for the Mavic Heliums that I want to keep on the road racing bike.

So I called Minoura at the number shown on their website (http://www.minoura.co.jp/index-et.html). Incorrect number.
I tried the correct number (510.538.8599) and was told:
(a) the trainer WILL NOT work with Rolfs,
(b) Minoura currently DOES NOT have a retro-fit fix, and
(c) Minoura is NOT working on a solution for the Rolf wheel incompatibility issue.

Nice.
Zero flaming turds.

Similar Products Used: Cyclops Fluid +
BobG   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2001]
Strength:

Very easy set up (less than 5 minutes), solid construction, easy to mount/dismount bike. Good value.

Lowest resistance settings weak.

This product is great for my purposes - peddling in front of the tube one or two nights a week during winter / bad weather. My bike hops right on and off (one lever to crank), no changing tires, and it's not all that noisy. There's also no potential of hydraulic fluid breakdown or seal leakage. The only "trick" is that the front wheel needs to sit on something to bring the bike to a normal riding stance(a cutoff 2X4 board works fine.) In the shopping around I did, this was the best value I found. However, I can see how this product wouldn't be the first choice of very serious riders (low resistance settings are negligible.)

Similar Products Used: None
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2001]
Strength:

Compact, well made, quiet

slips some

This is my first trainer. I am not what one would call a powerful rider. It's great to use while watching the tube or on lousy days. I really like the rim design. Don't need to take knobbies off to get a smooth, quiet workout. I do notice the difference in the settings, though I could see if you were a serious rider, the highest setting might still be too low. For a rec rider looking to put in a few non ride revolutions, this seems to be a really nice unit. I don't have the remote, didn't seem necessary.

Similar Products Used: none
John   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent setup, very quiet, great concept.

VERY LITTLE resistance!

I would only recommend this trainer to novice through low-intermediate strength riders only. It's a great setup and easy to use, but it needs at least twice the resistance to provide a good workout. I haven't ridden in 2 months, and I spun it out in top gear on my first ride!

Similar Products Used: Performance wind, Blackburn mag
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2000]
Strength:

Don't need to change tires

SLIPPAGE!!! Very little resistance

This trainer is absolutely unuseable! The amount of slippage is unbearable. I've tried everything... cleaning my rims, and even trying an old set of Sun rims with no luck. The local bike shop said this has been a problem with this unit. Interval training is not even an option - not that there is enough resistance anyway. Even my brother, who's not a strong rider, felt the same way. I wanted to like it, but just can't.