CycleOps Rollers Trainer

Rollers

CycleOps made its Rollers with precision-lathed aluminum roller drums that won't distort, an adjustable belt for right and left dismounts, and a foldable design for easy storage. Rollers force you to concentrate on balance, control, and riding in a straight line, all of which help improve your efficiency and technique on the road. The Rollers' durable steel-frame construction won't bend or kink. If you're stoked on having additional resistance while you train, choose the Aluminum Rollers With Resistance. A magnetic bar works with the rolling aluminum rear drum to increase your resistance with five different levels.

David   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2002]
Strength:

Affordable, closet thing to actual riding -- sure beats a stationary bike or trainer, improves spin and balance, folds up for easy storage

None at all

These are the 4.5" poly rollers that SportCrafters manufactured for CycleOps. I purchased these rollers directly from the owner of SportCrafters, Pete Colan. Apparently, the 4.5" diameter rollers didn't sell as well as the smaller diameter rollers, so Pete has a few extras. The 4.5" diameter rollers are ideal for mountain bikes (using slicks) around the 170+ mark. While I find myself using a higher gear the majority of the time, the larger diameter rollers provide some roll-out (coasting) if you temporarily stop pedaling. Pete is great to deal with, an incredible resource, and extremely willing to help you find the correct rollers for your cycling needs. Visit his site at www.sportcrafters.com. Please note that my ratings are weighted heavily based on my experience with Pete and Sportcrafters.

Similar Products Used: Minora
JIM BENNETT   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2003]
Strength:

Affordable, closest thing to actual riding sure beats a stationary bike or trainer, improves spin and balance, folds up for easy storage.
Provides an awesome workout indoors.

NONE, EXCEPT THAT THEY MAKE YOU WORK.
DEPENDING OF COURSE ON WHICH GEAR YOU RIDE IN.

AS DAVID SAID IN HIS REVIEW DATED 3/18/02, I TOO HAD NOTHING BUT AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME EXPERIENCE WITH PETE COLAN http://www.sportcrafters.com/
THIS GUY IS THE NICEST MOST PROFESSIONAL PERSON YOU WILL EVER DEAL WITH, AND IF YOU SEEK KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ROLLERS, HE IS THE MAN TO ASK, WITHOUT A DOUBT!
IF YOU BUY YOUR ROLLERS FROM ANYONE ELSE, YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE.

Similar Products Used: TOO MANY YEARS AGO TO REMEMBER.
jack lamano   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2000]
Strength:

Great for rainy-days when you're eager to spin but don't want to damage the wet trail. You can squeeze in a ride when you don't have a lot of time. Makes watching TV far more productive!

Will not work with knobbies. Tires will shed a black powder on your carpet. You can't use your highest gear for an all-out workout or the bearings (axle?) get too hot and start squealing like a brake pad. Too noisy for apartment dwellers even at an easy spin -- they'll start knockin' at your door! Cycle Ops will not answer questions if you write to them.

It's really good for spinning but I'd rather ride on a good road or trail. I'll probably give it away in the marketplace.

Similar Products Used: The road itself (recommended).
Josh   [Feb 05, 2004]
Strength:

Dead-on true, Solid frame, Low to the ground, Decent resistance.

Not well balanced, so above 20 mph there is noticeable vibration and noise. Note that 20 mph is according to my computer - the effort level is much less than on the road. So this is probably equivalent to 15 mph on the road.

I was told by Colorado Cyclist that at this price point the rollers would not be perfectly balanced. I guess the bottom line is that they're acceptable so I'm not going to return them. At an easy pace these rollers are smooth, but it would be nice if they were a little better balanced so I could hear the t.v. even if I'm doing intervals. If you have downstairs neighbors, I would definitely consider other rollers.

Similar Products Used: Nashbar poly rollers, 4.5-inch diameter
David   Weekend Warrior [Nov 27, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth and true bearings. Study chassis that folds flat. Light but rigid so I can move it around depending on where I want to roll. PVC rollers are very durable. Resistance can be changed with bikes gears.

The slickest set of tires at high pressure will produce minimal noise but with a set of even the most worn out knobbies will down out the TV. Oh and because you don't really get a chance to stand on rollers, I suffered very mild penile numbness after work outs. Just shift seat positioning till you're comfortable.

I'm 30 years old and I've always wanted a great cardio workout at home that wasn't so intense it would lay me out in 30 mins (like my elliptical trainer). My main goal with the rollers was to lose some fat (BTW I weigh 180lbs and am 5'8). The rollers keep me at a great heart rate for burning fat and help me undo any sloppy pedal mashing tendencies I have while riding my freeride bikes. Even when watching TV or playing the piano, my wife doesn't complain of any noise now that I swapped to high pressure slicks. Plus it's fun riding rollers, it is very interactive, engaging, and even a bit novel.

Similar Products Used: Stationary uprights at the gym.