CycleOps Magneto Trainer

You follow a strict diet, keep your legs hair-free, and do your best at the local crit, but the season has just ended. Stay on the bike all year round, and keep your fitness at its peak within the comfort of your home with the easy-to-set-up, easy-to-use CycleOps Magneto Trainer.Power Band Technology provides a progressive, natural workout with varying resistance?without rider-made adjustmentsCam Lever for quick, one movement set up

Msdos5   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2010]
Strength:

I was using this thing for thirty minutes a day, for improving My health & getting ready for touring. My conclusion is the plastic resistance knob broke fairly efficiently and that negated any use. I guess if You want to do this seriously You have to shell out three hundred some dollars, I'd just do the health club.

Similar Products Used: None
Gary Lee   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2006]
Strength:

Well constructed. I like the fact that it's quiet and it doesn't heat up the tire like my friend's fluid trainer does. Came with a Carmichael training video, good for newbies like me. And a Lifetime Warranty.

It's still very new so I have no weakness findings as of yet. The weakness lies in me, the rider. Hence the trainer...

Two things... first, my local bike shop guy, Alvers at Plano Cyclery, recommended this one and I trust his opinion. Second, I got a killer deal from brandscycle.com. So far I love it. I like that it doesn't heat the wheel causing faster wear on the rear tire. (or maybe I don't ride it fast enough yet...) It's well constructed and was simple to assemble. Plus it has a lifetime warranty and after reading several posts about Cycleops they seem very helpful and reputable if something goes wrong.

Similar Products Used: Travel Trac Century Fluid Trainer
MavFan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2006]
Strength:

Stable, quiet, smooth, easy setup

A little pricey

My old Minoura trainer was super loud and disintegrated (plastic housing got brittle, cracked and fell apart) after just one winter season. The Cycleops is sooo much quieter (just a faint hum, barely audible over my drive train) and also much smoother. It provides me with plenty of resistence (upper half of middle ring). It took me longer to swap out my rear for a slick than to set up this unit. A little pricey, in my opinion, but I'm quite pleased with the quality and feel this unit will last me many years.

Similar Products Used: Minoura rim magnetic trainer
D   Cross Country Rider [Apr 15, 2003]
Strength:

Easy set up, quiet,

none yet,

i hated seeing my road bike collecting dust all winter, plus i feel like i get a better work out using my actual bike. i'd rather be outside mountain biking, but when that is not an option the trainer is great. i couldnt stay on for very long without a trainer tape, it came with one and i bought a couple more...mix up the workouts.

Similar Products Used: never used a trainer, just spin bike,
nschiele   Racer [Jun 29, 2003]

This thing rocks! My old Cycle Ops trainer was useless, mostly plastic. The thing was ready to fall apart after about 10 hours use. I sent the resistnance unit back to them twice, on the second time, they sent me the new model. No resistance adjustments, and they're not needed. In my low gear there is no resistance, but I haven't even got it into the big ring yet when riding at >80% effort. As far as durability, it' all steel, and it the flywheel has a fan to keep the magnets cool to the touch. Also smooth and quiet.

ssorgs   [Jan 28, 2008]
Strength:

Quiet, smooth, quick release

Got a great, great deal on this used. It's super quiet and smooth. It's sturdy and came with the 3-position front wheel base. Don't notice it getting hot.