CycleOps Fluid Trainer

CycleOps Fluid Trainer

The CycleOps FluidTrainers fit a wide variety of wheel sizes. Designed with Power BandTechnology, it allows resistance levelsTo vary with cadence or gear shifts. * Includes aTraining DVD * Quick-lock bike mount lever on allTrainer frames * Custom bike skewer provided, lifetime warranty * Fits 26", 27" and 700c or 20"/24" with optional adapter (WT7025) * Not compatible with 29ers (see Pro Series) * New larger flywheel for improved road-like feel * Includes Race DayTraining video * Infinite resist

[May 14, 2011]
Todd

Strength:

Seems smooth and durable, very stable.

Noisy for a fluid

This is for the newer Road Machine Fluid green version. I bought this to replace an old Nashbar TravelTrak 3 that had started leaking after years of use. The unit seems durable, has a good range of resistance, though on some of my workouts I'm in my hardest gear and I almost never use any gear in the smaller chainring on the road bike so I think they could easily increase the resistance.

Mine is not crazy loud, but compared to my old travelTrak 3 it's much louder, both seem similar in smoothness, the TravelTrak 3 also was much more compact unit with similar stability though I think if you were really hammering the cyclops might be a big more stable.

All in all it's a good unit, but honestly for a lot less money the TravelTrak did just as good and was quieter. I almost wish I had looked harder into getting a new fluid unit for it.

Nashbar TravelTrack 3, rollers, older Fluid+

[Jan 30, 2007]
Glen

Strength:

Quiet, smooth
Reliable, compact, looks?

Could use greater resistance

Better than a discount trainer-entices you to ride indoors rather than in crappy weather-allows specific training

Been an excellent trainer-recommended

old magnetic blackburn (noisy, rough)

[Jan 25, 2002]
Chris

Strength:

Very good smooth resistance. If two of them didn't break, I would give it 5 stars.

First one died in 6 months, Second one died in 3 years (4hrs/wk for winter months).

I give the cyclops 2 stars and REI 5 stars. The fluid resistance unit gets very hot and must destroy some internal seal because the resistance goes way down. When this happens, I go back to REI, they take the POS and give me a new one. Cyclops must know about this problem because they are constantly changing the heatsink to better dissipate the heat. My advice is buy this unit at some place with excellent customer service so when it breaks and it will, you can get a new one.

Rollers with mag unit (mag units do not provide smooth resistance)

[Jan 09, 2002]
Jana Lingo

Strength:

Works, has held up

Havent found any yet

I am like the previous poster, I use this a lot ( well there was the year I livied in Florida), and it has not leaked since I bought it back in 1997. The only thing is that grip for the wheel mount fell off in one of my moves. There is plantyof resistance, but maybe I'm too girly. it wear your tires very fast, but so will any other trainer. Any way, if their current products are as good as this one has been, I wouldn't hestate in recommending a CycleOps

[Mar 29, 2003]
David

Strength:

Some, fairly quiet resistance.

Could use a little more resistatnce.

The product itself is good but it is the customer service which sets the cyclops apart. I purchased the unit used from a private seller. After about 3 year of use the resistance became very weak. I went to my LBS to see about buying a new one. The guy in the store said it should be warranteed by cyclops. I was amazed that the second owner of a 4 year old product could get a warrantee repair, but about 2 weeks later I had the trainer back as good as new.

Great service.

[Mar 12, 1998]
lee morton
cross-country rider

I have owned a fluid unit for either 3 months or 9 months depending on how you count. The fluid resistance unit crashed six months ago and I have been waiting on a replacement ever since. Cycleops did send me an air unit as a loaner. Cycleops is trying to solve a problem with the fluid unit and the new units are supposed to start shipping in the next two weeks.Warden, indeed you can swap the fan for a fluid. The fluid will add about two to three more gears to your workout. It bolts right in and takes less than five minutes, assuming you can get a unit out of Cycleops.

[Mar 13, 1998]
E.F.G
cross-country rider

After a number of calls and waiting a number of weeks they were able to send me a refurbished fluid plus unit which works great and is very quiet no more troubles with the apartment manger, the windtrainer unit they initially sent me was extremely loud. I was happy that everything was taken care of finally. Then out of the blue Cycle-ops sends me a new 1998 fluid model. The improvements made to the 1998 model are very evident this is one great trainer. I have to say I have a new respect for this company and their product. After a month of using the trainer I have to give it a rating of 5.

[Mar 11, 1998]
warden
weekend warrior

I do not own the fluid trainer, instead I own the wind trainer, and my only complaint is that there is not enough resistance. Can the wind unit be replaces without buying a new trainer? Other than that, I am very pleased with the quality and construction of the unit. I just wish I could get more resistance from the wind apparatus

[Mar 11, 1998]
Pat Perry
racer

I have the wind version of your trainer. Is there a way to increase the resistance to the model I have without putting balloons or cards on the spokes (i.e. add an additional fan or fluid resistance unit)? Also, the fluid model I tested increased resistance as it heated up. Is that normal?

[Apr 05, 1996]
Francis
Norba racer

This trainer is easy to set-up with it's quick release lock. The resistance is smooth and feels like climbing through road hills as I go to my heavier gearing. It's quiet too... but my bike isn't. Thumbs up!