CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer

Fluid 2

Take your training to the next level with the all-new 'Power Training Kit' The Fluid 2 is designed to capture real road feel through the use of a 2.75 lb individually precision–balanced flywheel for more momentum and stability of your rear wheel. Saris also adjusted silicone fluid levels for better resistance and improved the position of sealed–cartridge bearings for better inertia and an ultra quiet ride that ensures increased wattage as you increase your speed. And just like riding outside, simply shift gears to increase or decrease resistance. When you spin your wheels on the Fluid2 it feels like you're actually getting somewhere. Uses exclusive PowerTuned technology —the result of scientific and athletic collaboration. Now riding the trainer feels more like riding on the road because your wheel accelerates and decelerates on an infinite resistance curve, just like it does outside. This point of overlap is where the optimal power curve resides and is the basis for PowerTuned technology. By training on a PowerTuned curve, you benefit from the most true-to-life speed verses power contingency, no matter what speed you ride at. Constructed from sturdy, 2–inch round, 16–gauge steel and has adjustable footpads for stability no matter what surface you're on. For fast bike set–up, the exclusive quick–load cam lever lets you return immediately to the same resistance level of your last ride. And with folding legs for easy storage and an included training DVD the only thing hard about the Fluid2 is the workout you get while you're on it. Includes: CycleOps Fluid2 indoor trainer PowerCal monitor Speed Sensor Joule 1.0 computer 'Power' DVD.

Froze   Racer [Oct 06, 2010]
Strength:

Solid construction, real enough road feel for me, quiet, progressive wattage increase the faster the rear wheel goes.

Actually none.

I decided after using the Fluid 2 trainer for 7 years it was time a long term report was filed here. After reading reports about oil leaking I've haven't had one drop leak. After reading how loud they were, well they never road a fan trainer because in comparison the Fluid 2 is far quieter, and you can watch TV without cranking it way up and it doesn't disturb others. Is is it dead quiet? Of course not, nothing is, but it won't drive you crazy as others would lead you to believe. Here's the facts regardless of which trainer you buy: 14mph=130 watts; 15 mph=145 watts; 16 mph=160 watts; 17 mph=185 watts; 18 mph=210 watts; 19 mph=235 watts; 20 mph=265 watts; 21 mph=295 watts; 18 mph=600 watts; 30 mph=700 watts, The Fluid 2 has a infinite resistance curve so it can more handle the above wattages. The unit also comes with a lifetime warranty, what more could you want?

Similar Products Used: Fan unit
BlueGrassBlazer   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth resistance

A little noisy

This must be a real hit/miss product because mine's been great. I've had it over two years and zero problems yet. No leaks or breakage and the mounting arm positions my bike securely. I have used the Cycle-Ops up to 5 or 6 times a week during off season and will let it collect dust over the summer. I generally ride for fitness and will ride a steady pace...gaining speed and then slowing down to a finish. I usually crank it in the middle of the workout and ride 30-90 minutes.
Whenever I hook up my bike for the winter, it's like I never left. I do have to crank up the tv when I ride but I'd expect that from just about any trainer.
This is my first and only trainer and I'll buy another.

Mark Moore   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2003]

Haven't found any!!!!

Haven't had any problems works Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

Stable, easy to lock bike in it and take bike off trainer with the quick release feature.

VIBRATION!!

I had high hopes for the Fluid 2 based on the generally favorable reviews posted here. Unfortunately, the trainer had a horrible vibration at one particular speed. If I sped up or slowed down, the vibration would go away, but the band of vibration was in a very usable speed/resistance zone and thus I wasn't able to live with it. I called CycleOps and they were very good about sending out a replacement resistance unit. However, the replacement also had a virtually identical vibration zone. After two bad units (which the CycleOps rep explained was due to an incorrectly balanced flywheel), I decided enough was enough and returned the trainer. I bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine instead and it doesn't vibrate at all. Bottom line, maybe I just was unlucky and received two unbalanced units, but word to the wise, if you buy one, make sure you get it at a place that takes returns.

Similar Products Used: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
Arthur   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2008]
Strength:

sharp looking

-clicking sound day 1
-skewer does not fit properly
-does lean

Seriously, day 1, set it up, road with the DVD in, and about 7 minutes into the ride, click, click click from the resistence unit.

I don;t know much about trainers as this is my first, but I know a defect when I hear one!

Greg   Racer [Feb 08, 2006]
Strength:

I got a great deal on this second-hand trainer and figured that in spite of some bad reviews, I had nothing to lose. To my great delight, after two years of winter training (not to mention the miles from the previous owner) I've had no problems at all! I've found the resitance to be very adequate with road-like smoothness. I bought one for my buddy (the fluid2 pro for about $200 from Performance with coupon) to get him riding and he's loved it, no problems. About a month ago I dropped the thing (by accident) from shoulder height and shattered the handle. I called cycleops and they replaced it for free! No questions asked. Great customer service.

No wattage hookup like on the new Kurt Kinetic trainer. Resistance unit is good, but recently it's been a bit finiky if I overtighen it on my wheel.

If money is an issue, look to buy this at $220 or less. It's the best deal at the low $200+ range and plenty of smooth resistance even for high-wattage racer types. But, if you can afford in the $400 range, then think about the Kurt Kinetic with wattage meter.

Similar Products Used: Kurt Kinetic (2002 version)
Dameion   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2003]
Strength:

Very quiet
Fits in my closet
CTS video
Good progressive resistance
Did I mention it's quiet?

Price

This trainer is extremely quiet -- even when hammering the pedals the only thing I hear is the sound of the tire. If you're going to use the trainer with a mountain bike invest in a slick tire as the knobs will produce a lot more noise. Very stable, compact design. Resistance is adjusted by changing the gears on your bike so there's no cable or remote to keep track of. The only weakness I've found is the price, but the value of the product is such that it's not an issue.

Alvin Goodrich   Racer [Apr 15, 2007]
Strength:

Durability, Fairly quiet

Moments of squeeking, Its a trainer: nobody really likes them!

I am a mountain biker who road bikes to be a better mountain biker. I absolutely hate riding trainers, but sometimes maine winters render outside riding impossible. I have put a lot of miles on this trainer over the three winters that i have used it with no problem until tonight. I broke the skewer and need to get one to replace it as a regular skewer will not fit. It has been a great product all in all.

Philip Orosco   Racer [Jan 31, 2002]
Strength:

Does the job. Pretty quiet with a slick tire.

Puts you in a downhill stance. My brothers ashtray solves that problem though.

This is the first trainer that I have ever owned. I took the advise of these reviews, and decided to pick the highest rated trainer. It was really convenient because the resistance mechanism of this unit is internal and has no wires to mess with. It is quick to set up, and get riding. A few things that I didnt know was that if you value the look of your rear skewer, then you need to find a cheapo to use on the trainer becuase it will scratch the hell out of em. You also need a skewer with a center bolt and a side lever (unlike the specialized skewers). This little misstep cost me a week of waiting. Lastly, the trainer sets you up pointing downhill. To offset this, you need something to place underneath the front tire. As far as usuability, it works great, but it really heats up the rear tire which cant be all that great...can it?

Kevin P   Racer [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

The Fluid 2 is solid. The level of resistance is perfect. Lifetime manufacturer's waranty

None as of yet- None expected.

The fluid 2 is a good quality piece of training equipment. I do not see what the review below is talking about at ALL. Out of the box this trainer gives exactly what it claims -Resistance level varies automatically based on your cadence and wheel speed directly by using your bike's own gears. More power allows for intense interval and strength workouts
Great Product