Blackburn Defender magnetic trainer Trainer

Defender magnetic trainer

Blackburn Defender magnetic trainer

John   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

The stands are sturdy and the different resistance settings seem to work well. We are not hard core and we get a good workout on setting 3 of 5.

We own two of these and have had lots of trouble with the roller units. One has developed a loud constant rattle the other has developed a loud squeak.

We are basically unhappy with both units. When we first purchased them we had similar trouble with one and the retailer exchanged it for us - they were good. Now both are having trouble and we only use the units 2-3 times per week for 30 - 45 minutes at a shot. We tried to find a way to contact Blackburn directly on the internet and had no luck. If anyone has advice on how to fix these problems please let us know. We would avoid these units in the future.

Similar Products Used: None
Peter   Weekend Warrior [Apr 27, 2003]
Strength:

Compact storage, quiet, easy set up.

Skewer clamp doesn't hold fat MTB Q/R levers well. Moving side of skewer clamp not very well supported by housing (a bit wobbly). Poor assembly (see below).

As others have reported, my resistance unit began making noise too. I opened it up to find a very simple mechanism, a rotating aluminum plate between 2 stationary housings that had refrigerator magnets glued to them. The set screw holding the aluminum plate to the axle had loosened, allowing the plate to wobble and make contact. I tightened it up, and have had no problems since. Everything else looked OK, bearings/axle looked beefy enough. Rubber feet slide off too, will put some contact cement on them some day.

Similar Products Used: Old style turbo trainer (BB & fork support).
Kenneth   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2002]
Strength:

The frame was nice but the mechanism that holds the bike upright loosens and lets the bike lean to one side. The mag unit produces decent resistance.

The unit lets the bike lean and the magnet is not durable. It explains why this unit is not made anymore. After a years worth of riding the bearings in the mag unit fell apart.

If you dont mind feeling like you are going around a curve and you would like the experience of rebuilding the resistance unit this trainer may be for you. It was nice when it was spankin' new but it didn't last long. It produced decent resistance. Better than the fluid units that I have tried, guess I need to lay down some big $ for a better unit or build one myself. It seems that you can't get a good one from any manufacturer.

Similar Products Used: Used a wind trainer from Performance. The frame was not as nice but the resistance unit held together.
Paul   [Oct 02, 2001]

I thought this trainer would be a great thing for the winter. However, Everytime I got on it I noticed that I was leaning to the left. I tried adjusting my position, but eventually I realized that the screw which clasped the axle had so much play the the left side of the quick release was 1/4" lower than the right side! I tried Blackburn's website, but they didn't have a e-mail or phone number. I'm not very impressed with the product and very disapointed that I could not easily get a hold of someone.

Jeffro   [Apr 03, 2001]
Strength:

Frame is sturdy.

The resistance unit.

The resistance unit works great at first. But after very little usage it eventually will break. After 2 months of training (4-5 days a week/ 20-40 minute sessions) the bearings went out. REI replaced. The new unit went out even sooner. 5-10 hours is all it lasted. Bottom line--stear clear of Blackburn trainers.

Similar Products Used: None
Craig   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2001]
Strength:

Quiet at first, sturdy, easy setup

I rode it for about 15 hours. After one day of riding hard for an hour, the flywheel on the mag side got bent over. My LBS was cool and replaced the resistance unit. Also the included skewer is to short for most bikes.

For $200 it should not fall apart, and the skewer should fit. Blackburn screwed up this time.

Similar Products Used: none
mike   [Jan 01, 2001]
Strength:

reasonably quite

The part that touches the bike on the opposite side to the cassette. It is cast metal and it broke the second time that I rode it.

I have only had it a few days. If it holds together after I replace the part then I will be happy. It is fairly quite after I replaced the rear tire with a smooth one.

Phil   [Nov 27, 2000]
Strength:

Wide, well built frame, adjustable resistance, lifetime warranty

magnet rattles time to time

The best trainer I've tried. Good for cold, crappy days. I still wish I had rollers though.

Similar Products Used: Minoura, Cyclops, and other brands in all forms
Chuck   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Sturdy stand. Easy to mount/dismount bike.

Rattled like it was going to explode. Marginal resistance even at max. Plastic case gets soft & gooey when hot. Knob falls off clamp handle.

My new Cycle Ops fluid unit leaked, rattled, rocked and listed to the right. I exchanged it for the Blackburn mag unit. The Blackburn mag rattled so bad I thought it was going to explode. I returned it after one use. I found a Blackburn RX-7 Contender wind unit at another shop. The salesman at the shop stated that they had also had RX-8 returns due to rattling.

Similar Products Used: Kreitler rollers, Cycle Ops fluid, Older Blackburn mag.
jamie   Racer [Apr 23, 2000]
Strength:

I got it cheap
i think it looks good
all levals of resistance actually work

It made noises once
the handle for tightening the bike up is almost stripped

I like this trainer. It is the only one i have ever owned but over the winter i have put about 2000km on it with out any big problems. After about 200km the mag unit started clicking. I took it apart and saw that the magnets were rubbing the drum thing. I greased the moving parts and tightened everything up and have had no problems since.
If you take the bike tightening handle off the rachate mode and really tourque it, when you try to take the bike off the handle will not work, it will turn but just make clicking noises and the quick relese clamp will not turn. Then you have to turn it by hand with pliers.

Overall it is worth the money i got it for considering i saw it for 430 at a shop . (i got it for 220$ canadian at canadashop.com/cogdog. they are shut down now though)