Topeak McGuyver Tools

Topeak McGuyver Tools

Topeak McGuyver XT Magnesium Outdoor Tool. Tools include: fork with bottle opener, Phillips & flat head screwdrivers, can opener w/ mini flat head screwdriver, scissors, reamer with scraper and sewing eye, fish scale with hook remover, wood saw, serrated

[Feb 20, 2002]
Raiyn

Strength:

Tools out the wahzoo.

Stupid mesh pocket gimmick fo the chain tool.

Yes the pliers and scissors suck, yes the mesh pocket for the chain tool is unbelieveably STUPID, but the fact remains this is a survival tool intended to get you out of trouble (or in some cases into) and in that capacity it excells now for those of you who are whining about the short coming of it's tools look at the situation you were in. Yes the pliers broke but I doubt you were installing a computer on the trail, and if you were you deserve what you got shmuckboy. Scissors? good for cutting up bum tubes for making emergency rim strips but you could just as easily use one of the 2 knives on board to accomplish the task. Forget about clipping cables, the scissors are for clipping the Gu. 5 flamin turds for value (got it cheap) 5 for the fact that it's never left me hanging because I respect it's limitations.

Swiss Army knives, Leatherman tools.

[Nov 16, 2006]
D. Lau

Strength:

It has all the tool needed for MTB.

The chain tool can be quite a hassle.

It is a perfect tool for everyday basic trouble for your bike!

[Dec 31, 2003]
Brian

Strength:

Lots-o-tools

Pliers mainly...

I see that this tool hasn't been reviewed in quite some time. I feel soooo lucky that I paid only $27 for it. For that price it is a STEAL! The pliers are the big let down in the tool kit, but I have carried a regular pair of pliers for years now, and about once a year they pay for themselves vs. the weight penalties. All of the other tools are fine for survival, and this is a SURVIVAL tool. If you are out in Utah biking and have a problem, this tool might help for something OTHER than the bike. You can burn ants with the magnifying glass, too. I still carry a few things extra. All in all, this tool has what you NEED in an emergency, and it has the quality to last. BUT, I NEVER would have spent list a few years ago for it, but at the low unheard of price of only $27 you just can't pass it up, it's that good!

Park, homemade

[May 19, 2006]
Raiyn

Strength:

Has held up for the last five years, has gotten me out of a few nasty jams.

Still heavy, still has that stupid mesh pocket for the chain tool

Despite what the brain surgeon below tried to say this is a fine tool for middle of nowhere use. The tools are situated in a manner that allows the tool to be as small as possible while maintaining functionality. Like I said in my prior review this is not a "routine maintenance at home" tool this is a "I need to fix this out here on the trail or I'm walking home" tool. It's too bad some people just don't get the message.

Other Topeak mini tools, Crank Bros etc

[Jul 19, 1999]
cecilio benito
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

overall design
weight

lenght of the tools
no repair flat tire kit

good tool and spectacular design but some minor faults like the length of the scissors spoiled the final result

ritchie

[Sep 17, 1998]
Jeff Sharp
weekend warrior

I got mine just last Friday and it has come in handy on many rides since. I'll admit that the pliers are a bit weak, but my overall tool load on rides has been reduced due to this little wonder. The fork and knife are a nice touch for your extra hard Power Bars. I'll go with five flaming reds!

[Jan 11, 2000]
Mike Curly Yocum
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Too Many Gadgets!

Too Many Gadgets!
NO CHAIN TOOL!!!
Mini-me Pliers.

Way too many doo-hickies on this thing! Add some chewing gum and you can take over Third World countries. For something marketed at the MTB crowd it should at least have a chain tool come with it, rather than it being an accessory. The pliers are dandy if you and your bike are 1/8th normal size. If you feel that you need all the gizmo's that come on this thing then you really don't know how to fix your bike.

Cool Tool
Ritchey CPR

[May 04, 1999]
Blake

Strength:

Amount of tools for the price.

No chain tool.

I would have never gotten this tool except that I found it at such a cheap price that I couldn't turn it down. Rei-oulet (Not rei.com, but rei-outlet.com)was selling it for $38.00 that's almost half off. I have used it ona few small details, but nothing big yet. It seems like it's going to be a great tool. 5 chilis for price and the amount of tools you get.

Cannondale Allen Wrench set

[May 11, 2000]
JT

Strength:

It has more than just bike tools, which could come in handy.

It has more than just bike tools, which add unnecessary weight.

Where the HELL is the DUCT TAPE?!!

[Oct 27, 1999]
EvanTruesdale
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

massive leverage for tight stuff
exelent tool varity

bit heavy, almost worthless pliers
only 1 tire iron

very sweet, I keep it with me at almost all times on and off bike
This and duct tape you can fix ANYTHING, I mean EVERY SINGLE THING