Topeak Alien Tools

Alien

The Alien Tool 22 Function Folding Tool This one you will want in a real jam. Self contained and easy to access, with 22 functions it's the right tool for any size job. In the tradition of your favorite Swiss Army Knife, once the job is done the Alien's multiple tools fold easily back into their hardened plastic case, always ready for action. Light and small enough to fit into your pocket, you won't even know it is there until you need it. Moulded plastic body provides an excellent gripping surface while using tools and opens into two tool halves with a press of a button. Features: All tools fold into engineering grade plastic body for easy carrying. Tools include: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 mm two piece Allen Wrenches 8, 9, 10 mm two piece Box Wrenches Philips and flat head screwdrivers A universal chain tool Spoke wrenches for 14g and 15 g two tire levers. A Stainless Steel knife and a bottle opener Size: 3.4 x 1.8 x 1.5 inches

Trailiac   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2010]

I received this as a gift about 8 years ago. I used it heavily for a few years and then took a hiatus from biking. I recently got back into it, but somehow during the last couple years, I managed to lose the bolt for the chain tool and the wrench that attaches to the outside. I called up Topeak and for less than $10, both pieces were at my front door in 2 days! That's some damned good customer service.

Now, after all this time, my tool is still good as new.

5 fiery buttnuggets across the board...

boscoboy   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2008]
Strength:

all the tools you need for trailside adjustments

I have used this tool for years with no problems - folds up nicely and fits into small spaces - has all the common needs -I left it in the car once and had to borrow a no-name tool to adjust my seatpost and it snapped right off. If i ever lost this I would buy another that same day

Auggie   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2008]
Strength:

Has almost everything you need for the trail, including a pair of tire levers! Sturdy nylon pouch with fixer-thingy-attachy-point. Splits into two pieces for easier handling or using two tools simultaneously.

Bulky, square turd fits awkwardly in my seat wedge. The fixer-thingy-attachy-point adds additional bulk to pouch. If you wanted to mount the pouch on the bike directly (which I wouldn't do because its just one thing to fly off in mad crash) you have buy the bracket (2 styles-stem or bar/post) separately. Doesn't include pliers.

I've had this now for 8 years and its been both my trail-side tool that has gotten me out of all the jams I've been in, as well as a general purpose garage tool supplementing my auto tools when performing bike maintenance and repairs.

Besides the bulkiness, the only lament I have is that it doesn't come with a plier tool and I was contemplating carrying a compact Leatherman for that purpose (more weight and bulk). But I guess Topeak has listened to customers and their new Alien DX Multi-Tool comes with a plier for pulling on cables during trailside repairs!

The Alien II can be had online now for roughly $25. The new Alien DX for $39.

Overall, if price and not having a plier along is more better for you, I would definitely recommend the Alien/II.

Otherwise, my choice would be the new Alien DX (which I will review when I finally receive it and put it to use).

At $25, the best value for what it does! Dropped a hot poop for missing a handy all-purpose plier tool.

Similar Products Used: None
ysaroya   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

got everything you need inside and more!
the kit is modular, you can split ti in to 2 pices for more clerance and easy handelling.

abit havy (but i dont mind it)

when i go for aride i like to be prepared for anything, this tool give me confidence cose it's got all the tools inside.
saved me more then one time (helped me convert to a singlespeed when my rear druiler got yanked out taking with him 3 spokes from the rear wheel. 50 miles from no where...)
if you ride xc you can sattrl for a smaller toolkit but if you go on long rides in hard terrains you need to be prpeard for enything...dont think twice...it's alife saver!

Gerd Wichers   [Aug 31, 2007]
Strength:

The thing has the exact amount of tools. I am a recumbent biker and it's equally fair with recumbents as well. There are not too many tools in the Alien, but all the possible nuts and screws have been considered before it was issued.
I don't fail on any; perhaps a canopener like the Swiss Wenger or Victorinox could do.
At this moment of writing the review I am considering to buy the DX. Strong would be a good wire cutter, but I read a review that that particular tool is not functioning properly.

you can loose it.
Perhaps the plastic parts might have been given a bit more stiffness. For my tight 20"tyres, they bend a bit to much.
Perhaps the people of Topeak thought about the cranktool it to be used with some aditional help. I am not going to be negative on it but it may be a weak thing to use in practice: my cranks are just too tight with my pedals that I can open the thing.

The tools I have with me during travelling include a Leatherman Crunch, a Buck Whittaker and this Topeak Alien.
I still try to find some good and most lightweight combination of tools but this Topeak Alien is most efficient. Perhaps an improvement on a reliable cable cutter would make sense?

Similar Products Used: I tried to get a tool with equal consideration for the needs of the bike but did not find any.
George Oberdorfer   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent design, very good quality and durability, reasonable weight.

8mm allen key not very useful; a little hard to use in some tight corners (especially the allen keys); limit use of spoke wrenches to emergencies - espcially with alloy nipples

I have been using this multi-tool for 4 years now. When I moved to the US as a student this tool became my only tool for fixing my bike for two years and it did the job most of the time. Best of all it is still in good shape. This is a really good product and probably among your best choices when looking for a handy multi-tool. The quality of the individual tools is surprisingly good. Treat it with some care and you will have a faithful companion for many, many years.

Similar Products Used: Topeak Survival Box
M Snow   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2004]
Strength:

Fit, finish, workmanship and usefulness of tools supplied, Well designed and thought out. They even designed the tool be taken apart by each others halves so no outside tool sourcing is necessary for those hard to fit areas of some bike designs.

Torx fitting falls out. I painted it yellow and use double sided tape to prevent loss.

I bought this unit a year ago I broke it on a Bontrager wheel trying to pry on the tire with supplied tool spoons. Topeak replaced the broken portion with out a receipt. Just based on good faith, No arguments no fuss just good ol plain service . Just dont take advantage of a good thing
and perhaps they will be able to continue serving at a level above others.