Topeak Alien RX Tools

• Bag Material: HD Nylon With Clip
  • Screw Drivers: Phillips & Flat Head
  • Body: Engineering Grade Plastic

stillkeen   [Nov 20, 2013]
Strength:

Has a good selection of tools, including chain breaker, allen keys, bottle opener etc, so it's definitely got sufficient tools for anything from a short blast where you might need to adjust a bolt or two, up to what you require for an overnight mission in the back country.

The two halves clip together, but very poorly. The silver plastic housing flexes and comes apart if you try to use it when still connected together. The clips that hold the two halves together broke on my one pretty early on.

The first time I used the tool, was to fix a chain on another riders bike, however, the chain breaker black steel pin broke.

The torx key (for disc brake rotor bolts etc), is a slip on fitting which is only held on with a magnet. This disappeared early on, as it's not held on very well. To Topeaks credit, the LBS managed to order me a few replacements in.

The tool has more functions than you'll likely ever use … who uses the spoke nipple keys?
The chassis is weak and flexible, degrading from the tool.

There are much better newer tools (the Alien RX is basically an Alien XS, which has been around since at least 2001).

I'm going to see if I can give mine to a friend or sell, and get myself a little tool (topeak 9 function or similar) and a separate chain breaker. I'll then not be carrying around tools I never use, and have a tool that doesn't flex and break apart when used.

OVERALL