Park Tool CT-5 Chain Tools

The Park Tool CT-5 Chain Tool is Park's budget chain tool. You'll be able to tackle all necessary work on pretty much any chain under the sun with the CT-5.

Cdub4   [Mar 01, 2013]
Strength:

Well made, all steel frame and screw make it stable and heavy feeling. Worked like a charm on breaking my chain.

Doesn't fold up well, although its not too big to begin with.

Overall it's a nice little tool to throw in my gear bag. It's solid and feels like it won't break. It has replaceable pins you can buy separately if you bend yours. Made in USA out of good quality materials!

Cormac   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to use

the tines, for lack of a better word, break easily

Broke one of the tines ( the forked pieces that hold the chain) first time using it. Operator error no doubt, but then again it did break very easily. Other than that, it's a fine tool. Easily fits in a pack to carry with you when your riding. It provides enough strength to cut most chains. Also has a side to help straighten any slightly bent links due to reconnecting the links.

sooner4x4   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2011]
Strength:

Good design, made in USA

Out of the package, when turning the handle, the pin binds up, it was not machined correctly, takes a lot of force to turn without a chain in the tool.

Called Park Tool, and they seemed concerned about the quality problem. Planning on returning it to the store. Not sure if I should get another one from Park Tool, or try a different brand. I hate putting anything in my toolbox that says made in China.

Similar Products Used: my first chain tool
tom12   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2010]
Strength:

-High quality construction
-Well finished
-Light weight

-not as much leverage on handle as "shop type" tools.

This is a well made, very rugged and simple chain tool that you can take on the trail. The weight is pared down considerably from shop size tools, but the tool works just as well. The only thing you give up is a little leverage on the handles - maybe a consideration for people with weak hands. I prefer this single-purpose tool to one built into a complicated folding tool kit. With this and the Park MT-1 tool, I can handle just about any adjustment on the trail

Similar Products Used: Cyclo Rivoli (classic), LIFO
ironstalin   Downhiller [Oct 07, 2010]
Strength:

Feels like it's farily well made for the price. Easy to use

None so far

Used it once and did not even brake anything

Similar Products Used: None
RParial   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Small size. Two places to set the chain. It works!

Are you kidding? None.

Bottom line is this thing does what it's supposed to do. Small enough to keep in my seatbag on rides and tough enough to handle bike projects at home. The top and bottom notches let you work with the chain quickly and easily, from removing links to setting them back in place. Seems Park thought of everything when they made this tool.

Similar Products Used: POS Chain tool that came with my Lifu Toolkit
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent strength for its size. Long handle provides plenty of torque to get the job done. Park's lifetime warranty in the unlikely event that the tool breaks.

I bought the CT-5 today & was ready to climax when it did the job so easily compared to my previous chain tool. It may have cost $10 more than the old chain tool I tried to use to replace my chain, but it was worth every penny! I couldn't get any leverage w/ my old tool & ended up breaking my old chain by cutting through a set of outer plates w/ a hacksaw. My old tool also failed to help me take links off my new chain but instead snapped into 3 pieces. The CT-5 made short work of that task. My experience w/ the CT-5 is a prime example of how easy bike maintenance can be when you have the proper tools. Get this tool, & you won't be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: An el cheapo pot metal Bell chain tool that broke into 3 pieces the 1st time I used it.
Russell Seaton   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2000]
Strength:

It works perfectly.

None.

It works. Compact so it can be carried on the bike. I have one in my Park on bike tool kit and I bought another one previously. The Park tool kit was something like $15. Considering the chain tool alone is $12, I bought the kit. The seemingly short handle is all you need. Unless you are a professional bike mechanic it is a waste of money to buy the $23 big Park chain tool. This little one easily breaks 9 speed chains. It only turns so far so you cannot eject a chain pin. Nice not worrying about going too far. Although maybe there are situations where you want to eject the pin. Can't think of any but maybe. Carry one on your bike just in case someone breaks a chain or more likely, gets the chain jammed between the inner ring and chainstay. Taking the chain apart may be the only way to get the chain out.

Similar Products Used: Old $4 Rivolvi chain breaker.
lcunnion   Weekend Warrior [Dec 12, 1999]
Strength:

*small
*sturdy
*works great
*strong pin
*replaceable pin

none that i'm aware of yet...

hey! i'm surprised this thing hasn't been reviewed yet! it's an awesome tool and i KNOW a good number of you out there are using them...
anyways, the ct-5 works great. i've used it well over 10-15 times in the six months i've owned it to break my chains and to break friends' chains. originally, i had bought it as a home-shop tool so i could clean off my chain every month or so. since then, i've moved to sachs powerchain, so this is basically only carried with me for emergency use. other then the every 2000 miles that it takes to need a new chain - this thing isn't going to see as much use as when i first got it (that is providing i don't have a chain break on me every ride - but that's okay, with this thing i feel confident). good little worker.
oh and, it nicely stops you from fully ejecting the pin in case you need to re-set the old pin.
and make sure that you are square on the pin! you could spend a couple grueling minutes wondering why the hell the thing isn't working...

Rich Lowery   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2003]
Strength:

It works. Small enough to carry, just in case. Replacement push pins available.

None.

This is one of the best tools ever made.
I put a replacement chain pin into a tiny plastic bag and electrical taped it to the handle of my chain tool. This allows permanent on-the-trail chain repairs of Shimano chains.

Similar Products Used: Several others, I recommend this one.