Leatherman Wave Tools

Leatherman Wave

Michael Nerdbucket   Downhiller [Sep 14, 2001]
Strength:

Really good for cracking nuts.

It sinks man, which really cheesed me off when I dropped in while sailing in my dingy. I had to use a magnet on a long stick to get it back.

Really cool tool.
The only problem I had with it was when I used it to tease my dog. My dog bit me and I tripped and got the thing stuck up my ar*e and one of the blades like popped out so I couldn't pull it out so I had to get my friend to cut it out bit by bit with a like oxyacetaline torch... sure burnt the hell out of my bum hairs!

Similar Products Used: Spanner - which was really no good cos you could only crack nuts by smashing them with it really hard and the bits fly everywhere.
gavin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

Quality

You get what you pay for. The best multi tool on the market. Better than the old Leathermans in comfort and safety, I don't leave home without it, in fact I have two.

Similar Products Used: All manner of tools, from 5 dollar crap to this
Aaron   Cross-Country Rider [May 03, 1999]
Strength:

Impeccable quality
Pliers are indispensible for bikes

Price

I bought this shortly before a 2 week bike trip and it proved outstanding. The quality is excellent and the pliers saved our butts again and again.
My only complaint was the price. It was $125 down here, but it should be a fair amount less. Note also that the wire cutter section of the pliers is not effective for cutting cables on your bike.
Overall, highly recommended. A must if you any long distance traveling in remote areas.

Similar Products Used: Top Peak Alien
Nikolas Ojala   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2000]
Strength:

+ The nylon belt pocket, always with me
+ Very useful screwdrivers, blades, cutter etc.
+ Good stainless steel

- Price maybe

This beats all the red Swiss multi-tool knifes. Really a tool, not a toy. I really would buy this again. No wonder that other makers have copied the idea. Because it is always with me, I have used it almost every day to some purpose since I bought it.

Similar Products Used: Wenger multi-tool knife, Victorinox
Dan   [Apr 29, 2003]
Strength:

It has everything a dedicated bike tool doesn't. Compact. Better quality than most other multi tools including ones made by Leatherman.

Expensive and the small size makes it easy to loose. But I keep buying them (on my third). The knives ARE sharp.

Biked 800 miles from Helsinki to Warsaw with my Wave and a Park MT-1 mini tool and a chain breaker. Can't live without it.

Similar Products Used: Gerber multi.
Glen Willms   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 1999]
Strength:

High Quality
Very comfortable to use. Quick access tools...

Uhm... Just the hit to your wallet

By it, for work, for play. Great for everything... Pull it out with pride... Mine is always in my pocket.

Similar Products Used: LeatherMan (plain)
Rhane Brill   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2001]
Strength:

Tough tool; high quality stainless steel finish; easy to open and use; not heavy and VERY nice leather case came with it

None really!

I would recommend this tool for any cyclist. The great this is I also have the Leatherman Wave Tool Adapter. I carry both items with me when cycling just in case. The tool kit is very small and tucks in nicely in my bike pack.

I would recommend this tool for both men and women. This is not "just" another tool. Be careful of the very sharp blades. I recommend the Flair or Pulse tool for younger people (i.e. great first knife/tool for a boy scout)

Similar Products Used: I also own a Leatherman SuperTool. I prefer this one because the edges are rounded and it makes it easier to hold. I also think it's a little lighter then the Super Tool.
Chad   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2005]
Strength:

blades open without opening tool. rounded edges easy on the hands.

crappy wire cutters and small screwdriver blades tend to chip or bend

bought this tool to replace my original leathermans tool(lost it). i have no regrets. the original and the wave have saved my ass many times.

Similar Products Used: original leathermans, every tool you can imagine and some you cant.(i'm a tractor trailer mechanic)
Fil   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable rounded edges, quality, very sharp, good mix of items, nice locking and one hand open, option toolkit

Nice pouch but bad press stud, I lost my first one trail walking cos it pops open - be warned. No easy carrying for the option pack.

Excellent for everything else the bike tool doesnt do!! Having lost one due to the crappy press stud on the pouch, I got another - that is an endorsement itself!!
Could be considered pricey, but when it comes to tools you get what you pay for. A mangled bolt from a poor tool costs alot more!!