Crank Brothers Speedier Tire Lever Tools

Speedier Tire Lever

Crank Brothers Speedier Tire Lever : To remove even the toughest tire, just hook the end of the lever under the tire, extend the lever and snap the end on the axle, then rotate. It literally takes seconds! Better yet, to install a tire, hook the lever on the rim...

Jhilton   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2010]
Strength:

Nothing

This flimsy thing won't even budge with a mountain bike tire

This thing won't even move once I get it under the bead of a tire to change it. It make work on road tires, but for the aramid beads on my mountain tires, this thing is junk. Save yourself the hassle and buy a set of park levers.

Similar Products Used: Park Tire Levers
mddelaney   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2008]
Strength:

Lightweight, Easy to store, Easy to Use, Super Fast

Feels a little flimsy, and if you push on the middle of the lever while it's telescoped, there is a greater chance of it bending or breaking. Don't force the lever either, because there is a chance it could snap.

I do a lot of triathlons, and this lever is so quick and lightweight. In an ironman, I had my tire changed and was back riding in less that 5 minutes. I've had the lever for about 5 years now, and I had to buy another one, only because my brother used it and won't give it back. It can be broken, so put pressure on the lever near the tire instead of the middle. I recommend this to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Pedro's lever
anthony wilson   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2005]
Strength:

Works great once . . .

. . . then it breaks

The first time I used it on a tire I was thrilled at how easily it mounted the tire. To unmount, you still need to work with a standard lever. When I went to mount my next tire, however, the head snapped off. It is as flimsy as it looks. If you're mounting a regular tire, then this tool isn't necessary. When you are mounting a tight tire, which is when you would need the Speed Lever, it chokes.

Similar Products Used: Regular levers
Cameron   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2004]
Strength:

Does its job and does it fast.

None really.

Looks flimsy but it's really not. Good simple design. Easy to use. Nothing better. Kinda expensive for $6.00 though.

Similar Products Used: Generic tire levers, screwdrivers
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2007]

So far, I have removed and installed a 26" Primo Comet tire several times, and the Speed Lever has performed as promised! As noted by other reviewers, the Speed Lever looks flimsy, but it has held up so far, and it works much faster than traditional tire levers, with less risk of pinching your tube. Makes removing and installing tires a pleasure!!

Similar Products Used: Metal and plastic tire levers
Brad Herder   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

Can speed up tire installation or removal.
Not likely to pinch tube during installation.

Impossible to remove tight tires.

I can't believe so many people have had so much success using this tool.

I bought this tool awhile ago and tested them on a set of wheels in my basement just to make sure I knew how to use it. I found it very difficult to get the tool moving along the rim during the tire removal process, but once going it worked fine. I didn't try soapy water as one person suggested because who will have that available out on the trail? Re-installing the tires was very easy. That's definitely the strong point for this tool - no more pinching the inner tube during installation.

However, out on the trail, on a different bike with tires that fit kind of snug, it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove my tires using this tool. I mean totally impossible. I tried and tried and tried and just could not get the tool to slide along the rim and rip the tire off. I was actually suprised the tool didn't snap right off because I was pulling hard. I did hold it near the head because I'm sure I would break it if I held it anywhere else. I was worried about scraping my knuckles on the spokes if it ever let go and did slide along the rim, but that never happened. I don't know if putting baby powder on your tires at installation time would help, but that's a pain.

In my opinion, this tool is a good idea but it's so hard to use on snug tires it's only worth keeping in your basement for installing tires and possibly for one quick attempt at removing them before using normal tire levers.

I can't believe so many people have written so many good reviews on this product. If it were advertised as a tire installation tool, I would give it 5 stars. Since it's advertised as both an installation and removal tool, I'll give it 5 for install, 0 for removal = 2.5 rounded down = 2. Sorry 'bout that guys - I do like your multi-tool! :-)

Similar Products Used: Metal tire levers.
Michael   Racer [Sep 26, 2006]
Strength:

No risk of pinching the tube while struggling with tight road bike tires.

Maybe it will snap, but I'm buying two to put in my seat bag.

I love this thing. Road bike tires are so (^#&#*! tight and I have pinched many tubes trying to get the tire back on with a regular lever. Then I would get even more impatient/frustrated and I got into a stretch where I pinched my way through all the patches and tubes I had with me on two consecutive rides. Had to call a taxi to get home.

With this tool, I slipped the tire on in just a few seconds with NO risk of pinching the tube. I love this thing! I love this thing!

Similar Products Used: Those #%@#$% yellow plastic tire levers. Pedros I think they were. Maybe they are good for somebody with skill and patience, but I ruined so many tubes with those.
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

So easy to use even a novice (like me) can use it without much trouble. It helps you remove the tire from the wheel in less than a couple minutes without much effort.

As others have pointed out, the plastic could be better but considering the price it's still a great deal.

This is a great tool. Anyone who rides a bike will appreciate how easy it is to use.

bigbon   [Jul 25, 2001]
Strength:

takes tires on and off

a tire lever on steroids.

Wil   [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

Fast

Could have been made with strong plastic.

This thing is fast. It will allow to take off or install a tire in seconds. BUY IT.