Crank Brothers Micra 17 Tools

Technical Specs:

• Weight: 170 grams
  • Length: 3.6"/91mm
  • Material: Aluminum/steel
  • Contains 2/2.5/3/4/5/6/8 hex, Philips/flathead screwdrivers, chainbreaker, 4 spoke wrenches, 8/10mm open wrenches,Torx T25

Other:
  • Ultra light
  • High quality 6050 steel
  • Lifetime warranty!

• User Reviews (42)

Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2003]
    Strength:

This is compact with many tools you'd need for trailside repairs, and it has a chaintool all right there. The entire tool is metal; there's no plastic in this.

The tools don't lock open so you have to be vigilant. A cutting blade might be nice, too.

This is a handy tool to have. It's small enough that you can throw it in your back pocket and take a ride. Of similar tools out there, it's a good price and keeps everything in an easy to use package.

It's not a tool for big shopwork, but it's a whole lot better than taking the toolbox with you. This isn't meant to replace checking your bike before you leave home, but instead is designed to get you back home should something happen. And if I ever run across something on a ride where I need a beefier tool, it's time for me to call it a day.

I haven't had any problems with the chain tool on Shimano, SRAM, or KMC chains (3/32" or 1/8") when following the directions. It even worked to get a decades old, rusty, broken chain off of a barn-stored Schwinn a few weeks ago on a ride.

This is a good tool but it helps to remember that it's best as a trailside multitool.

Similar Products Used: Alien, Topeak, loose wrenches and screwdrivers, pocketknife
    Ove   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Looks good, light good idea. Simple

Weak. Poor tolerances

This product seemed great sitting in my bag. Then I had to use it and it self destructed from barely any use. Will not buy again. Period.

Similar Products Used: Alien, Ritchey, park etc
    Sam T   Racer [Jun 10, 2003]
    Strength:

Lots of tools in one small package.

I've broken two of these (the first broke while just riding along in my saddle bag) in three uses.

If you buy this tool, go to the harware store immediately and replace all the cheapo breaks-when-you-look-at-it-funny harware with grade-A stuff. Wade reccomended this at Excel and I'll soon do so.

Similar Products Used: Park CT-5
    Zaphod   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2003]
    Strength:

Looks.

Fragile bolts that hold it together (in the store).

Broke on first use, nothing extreme - just a little torque using the large hex wrench. The screw head has a tiny amount of metal left after machining. The contact area beween the popped hex head and the broken threaded stub is tiny, ridiculous for the application.

will   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2002]
    Strength:

mad versatility, fascinating looking handy as hell

unwieldy as all hell, difficult to manuever or get any leverage when loosening cranks or pedals terribly fragile as other reviews note

Nice looking tool, was recommended by the bike shop boys, but after about 2 weeks of use, I'm giving it a little abuse, you know, trying to take the pedals off an old schwinn, and the sucka breaks into pieces, I nearly got my eye put out! I swear to God. I'm taking this disaster back and getting something cheaper and sturdier. It was nice to know I could true my wheels on the fly, though. Don't go buying this thing unless you're a priss with no upper body strength. I don't think I should be able to break a metal tool with my bare hands, really.

Similar Products Used: tool boxes
    Cliff   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2003]
    Strength:

Seems to be a pretty good selection, haven't broken anything...yet. Newer version, maybe a little stronger???

Chain breaker, chain breaker

The bikes are all 9 speed and I use the SRAM 69 and the Sram hollowpin chains. Spend a lot of time on preventative maintenance, esp chains, cleaning and lubing (Prolube). Guess I'm way overdue for a chain break out in the boondocks. Thought I'd try the tool's mini-chain breaker at home just to see if it works OK. Bad news, it wouldn't push the pin on the 9 speed chain far enough out to easily release the link or even remove the pin with a pair of pliers!!!; needed for a Sram Power link or KMC MissingLink9 splice. And yes, I do realize the wide and narrow chains are placed on different U shaped shelves in the tool.

Never did figure out how Crank intended for a pedal masher to use this thing on chains, especially out in the field with limited tools. Sooo, since the threaded shaft won't tighten down quite far enough, and the threaded housing body it sits in looks plenty beefy for the thumb numbing push lever, I ground down the threaded hole side of the outer tool housing body with a bench grinder (a little at a time) until the pin pushing shaft would screw down a little farther, pushing the pin farther, until the pin would release by hand from the link. I figured if the outside end threads in the housing body were burred up from the grinder, I could use a small file to get the pin threads working again.

Actually it wasn't a problem, the pin presser screwed right in; and a little heavy grease on the threads helped reduce the thumb destruction pressure needed. After many uses at home, works like a champ. But I did find that if you can't seem to start the pin moving, after dislocating at least 1 of your thumbs (normally it is fairly hard to start), back off and reposition the chain. Being exactly centered on the chain pin is critical and the U shaped, "centering" chain shelf doesn't work very well. Incidently, then I decided to try the separate Park mini-tool for chains, had the same problem and same fix. Go figure..... Note: I drink only AFTER working/riding bikes.

Only 3 flamers for value and overall ratings: I bought the tool mainly for the chain breaker. I don't think it is very usable as comes from Cook, especially in the outback.

Similar Products Used: Hodge podge of individual tools rattling around in my back pack.
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2002]
    Strength:

High/Low volume options. Gauge. Durable. Protective case. Schr/Pres adaptable.

None so far

This is a durable pump that will perform as expected. The high volume option is a valuable option, as can be the low volume/high pressure. I could even pump up my air shocks if I had to with the high pressure option.
    A great buy at $25, and I got it for $20.

Similar Products Used: Zefal, C02
    Jon   [Feb 10, 2004]
    Strength:

Has plenty of tools, just don't plan on using them.

Tool structure is weak... that's a weakness!!

I've had this tool for some time now, usually only doing minor maintenance stuff that required no real pressure with it. I decided to take off my cranks yesterday and found out that any dirty work required from this tool is a no-go. I heard a popping sound and then *BAM* all the tools fell off into my hand as the frame snapped in two. Not what I'd expect from a tool recommended by Englewood Bike Shop in Englewood, Colorado. What a load. I'll never buy CrankSmoke tools again.

Similar Products Used: Tool box
    Bruce   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2003]
    Strength:

This tool is the only multi tool you need to pack. Its light weight, and has every tool you possibly need to get you back to you camp/car.
    I like it for many reasons, but here are a few that sold me on this tool: The chain breaker is attached to the tool so you can’t loose it. It has a torx key for my disc breaks. The allen keys are short so you can get them into tight spaces.

none that I can see yet.

I bought this tool from a vendor at the 2003 12 hours of razorback the day before the race, hoping that I wouldn’t have to use it. On the first lap, I helped a solo rider (who had no tools with him…wtf) fix his chain problem and the tool preformed beautify.
    I Highly recommend the product for anyone who is doing a race series. This tool will get you back on the track and back to the pits so you can fix the problem properly.

Similar Products Used: I have the cheap alien tool. You get what you pay for with it.
    kent   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2004]
    Strength:

small, light weight
    comes with a chain breaker

hex key are too short
    philips keys are sliping for troque-ing brake disc

this tool is turely for trial side for MINOR maintance.
    Tools are too short, it doesn't flip around as other users said. The chain breaker really works with shimano chain(if you know how to use it).

1. no other trail-side tools with this small size and light weight
    2. the chain break really works with shimano chain(if your's doesn't, please carefully check and read the manual in crank brothers web site)
    3. this tool works with most trailside repairing but since the tool is too short, it will takes your more effort and time.

Who should buy it:
    if you have a small hand. (this tool is too small)
    if you bet your bike will never break down on trial and you think only MINOR maintance are need with this tool
    you only got a tiny backpack and no bigger place for putting a larger tools in it.
    if you haven't read all the comments on below

Who SHOULDN'T buy it:
    1. If you have read all the comments on other users.
    2. you will regard if you have a break down on trail-side and you only have this tool
    3. if you are purchasing this tool to service your bike at home.

Verdict:
    Don't waste money on this tool.