Cool Tool Tools

Cool Tool Tools

Cool Tool

[Sep 19, 2013]
Ron Tandy

Strength:

This is the tool to have if you are really in trouble. The wrench jaws spread across 15 mm to tighten up a loose pedal. The chain breaker works! Found a kid on the bike trail where his pedal came off, some dad used two LH pedals and rammed one into the RH crank. With the Cool Tool managed to force the pedal back into the RH hole and get the kid on his way home.

Does not have a blade cut up pieces of Tire.

COOL TOOL has got me home a few times. Where do I buy more for my friends. They are not in evidence in Orange County.

[Jun 21, 2011]
EricH

Strength:

I've had my Cool-Tool for TWENTY YEARS. Yes that's right. I got them when they forst came out, and have always laughed at the "supposed" cylcing "multi-tools" that have come out since. cut a 3" long peice of a flat tube, slide it over the cool-tool and stick one metal tire lever inside and if you can't fix your bike on the trail with this, you either A) don't know how to fix bikes or B) have a pretty serious mechanical failure on your hand.

The wrench will take off pedals and crank bolts. The chain tool pin *doubles as a spare crank bolt* How awesome is that? Need more leverage on the allen wrenches,(the small 4mm)? use the tool as a leverage extender.

Anyopne that has A) worked in a bike shop and B) has been riding for any serious length of time will agree, this tool is all you need, gets the job done, can be used because it's not too small and will not break.

Thge spoke wrench built into the back can be tricky to use.

If you know what you are doing when it comes to fixing a bike, this is the one and only tool you will need to carry with you, anywhere.

[Jun 03, 2010]
Bill

Strength:

Well built. Lots of useful tools.

Needs rubber band or something to keep everything together.

I bought my Cool Tool in the early 90's because there was no other bike multi-tool available. I have used it to repair every sort of mechanical failure on the six mountain bikes it has outlived. The rubber band that it came with lasted about five years. I now have a little, skinny velcro strap holding its guts in. I still carry it on every ride and when it eventually breaks I'll probably cry. I wish I'd bought a dozen of these things.

Crank Brothers, Blackburn

[Oct 24, 2009]
altruistguy

Strength:

I've been using this product for nine years. I bought it for one reason -- the small crescent wrench. Nothing else about it interested me and I've never used anything except the small crescent wrench. That said, I've used the small crescent wrench MANY times. I use the crescent wrench in conjunction with my Topeak Alien and a pair of old pliers. Those three things get me through virtually all home repairs/maintenance and even took me across the continent in 2000 (Southern Tier).

I've had no problems whatsoever with the small crescent wrench and recommend it heartily.

Everything except the small crescent wrench is unimpressive.

Small Crescent Wrench is outstanding. Toss the rest and use a good multi-tool to supplement it. Actually, I guess I use the Small Crescent Wrench part of this thing to supplement my good multi-tool.

Topeak Alien.

[Aug 12, 2009]
George

Strength:

Fixes more bike repair prolems than any single tool out there. Compact size. Durable, well concieved, and well made.

Heavy, prone to rust, and needs rubber band to hold tools in place.

I've really looked hard for a lighter replacement for my cooltool, but haven't found anything close that can do everything this tool can do: it can repair more problems on a bike than any other single tool out there. I have the older model that is well made and very durable, so the adjustable wrench is precise, the chain tool is durable and works, and the hex wrenches (which are exactly the only sizes I needed for the past five bikes I've used it on) are very precise and strong. Its too bad the new ones are -apparently- crap: maybe you can get an old one from ebay. I'd love to get that titanium one (lighter and rust proof). Because its always handy, I used it more than the nice set of Park shop tools I had; which I away and now just use the CoolTool, a dedicated spoke wrench (easier to use than CoolTool), a rear cog casset socket wrench, dikes for cable cutting, and a crank puller for all bike repairs. After 11 years I lost the rubber band holding the hex wrenches (have no ideal what kind of rubber can last that long), and now substitued a rubber o-ring: works great!

Cheap Mafac pocket-size bicycle repair tool kit.

[Jul 18, 2003]
Eric
Downhiller

Strength:

Fairly small. Has a good spread of tools. I have had this tool since 1995. Fairly easy to use.

Well it can flop apart unless it is contained. Must keep it oiled or it will be a pile of rust. The chain tool works great, but after 7 years of regular use I had to hammer the tip back into position

This tool is excellent. I bought mine in 1995 and I used it for everything on bikes for three years. I had that tool and a crank puller and that was it till about 2000. Last year I was a little crooked when I was breaking a chain and I bent the tip. I hammered it back and it is as good as new. The tool has plenty of leverage for almost any job because the hex wrenches fit in different sections of it. I wouldn't go back to using this tool as my bike shop, but it did serve my budget when I bought it. I now keep mine in a gerber multitool pouch on the right shoulder strap of my camelbak.

I love this thing.

How many multi tools can change pedals?

It works for me, and has worked hard and reliably for eight years. I haven't lost any parts to it either. I cut a tube like a rubber band and double it up on so the wrenched can't move.

On mine for my nipples the spoke tool works great. It isn't a spokey, but it works.

I have seen and tried others, but I will keep this original

[Jun 10, 2003]
Mike

Strength:

Adjustable jaws, loose allen keys, crank bolt socket, will straighten dinged rims.

Pointy ends.

Look, bring the tools with you that fix your bike. If you need a McGuyver with the magnifying glass and the fish scaler , then bring that. This tool will will do everything I need, costs less than most, and is really easy to work with. The only beef I have with it, is you need to keep it and your spare tube seperated from each other. I have had the phillips screwdriver puncture the spare tube, but then this is also advice for any trailside tool. I do agree that the finish of the newer tools is of lesser quality than what I remember before Gerber took it over, but I haven't seen it affect the usefullness of the tool.

Ritchey CRP, McGuyver

[Feb 13, 2002]
Mauka Rider

Strength:

Lots of useful tools.

Not as strong as the classic Cool Tool. Heavy

The product is no longer as good as the Classic Cool Tool. I believe Gerber now makes this product and my new one barely lasted 3 months...while my first one lasted almost 4.5yrs. All the tools are useful, but I cant get over the fact that its just not durable anymore. I am now using the Crand Bros. and we will see how that one performs.

Ritchey, Alien, Crank Bros.

[Sep 28, 2001]
derek lewis

Strength:

Has all tools you will need.

HEAVY!!!

Its awsome. I put on opedels, took things off, everything! All I havent done yet is use the crank puller and chain break!

[Jan 26, 2004]
Jason wood

Strength:

This is the best toll yet in my opinion. It can straighten rotors. If you add a few small allens and a torx bit, which fits in the small hex slot, than it will do any thing! Mine is 8 years old and still good. And it is a gerber. Won it in 95 or so.

Heavy. Where can I find the Ti version? I want one!!

Use it for anything but tire removal. The spoke wrench isn't so good either, but will get you out of a jam. Darn good tool! Add the torks bit ($2 at home depot) and a couple small allens (3mm, 2.5mm). Keep rubber banded together. Thats all.

Most all. Crank bros, ritchy cpr's, topeak