Zefal Mountain Pump Pump

Zefal Mountain Pump Pump

Zefal Mountain Pump

[Feb 07, 2011]
Klaus Peter

Strength:

The pump is small, but big enough to feel good in your hand. The connection to the bikes Valve is good ans sits tight. Turning the pumps valve allows a connection to different bike valves.

Dust protection cap comes off to easy. You have to pump fast and hard to get enough pressure on a MTB tire. To archive more than 2 bars was unpossible fo me. But the worst thing is, what happend to me last week: The shaft cracked off the piston when I tried to pump. I jabed the sharp edged shaft deep in to my hand, the one that was holding the pump. After a few hours in hospital a wound full of grease and seven stitches later I would highly not recomend this pump.
A pump made for MTB should be strong enough to pump 2,5 - 4 bars. (My tiny race bike pump can do 6-7).

I wouldn't recomend it due to failing. Also the pressure you can archive is fairly low.

Topeak Mini

[Aug 26, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

Light-weight, small, stays put on it's clip-holder and the velcro strap

I don't know if it's a weakness, but you can definitely develop a nice bicep work-out using it as you increasingly pump with it. I'm also not sure if the gauge on it works all the time. Does it ever?

Sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences with your Zefal Mountain Pump, but fortunately, mine has come through for me for over SEVEN YEARS. Gauge doesn't appear to work all the time, but it's main purpose to air-pump has always worked (with a little muscle, of course).

Rule of thumb: Keep the store receipt and keep exchanging the product until you get one that works correctly. Also, utilize the product's warranty!

I've been blessed -- I just happen to be one of those lucky Zefal customers!!

[Jun 04, 2003]
Anna

Strength:

Durable. I used this pump as my ONLY pump for 10 years.(I don't own a floor pump)

Takes a lot of muscle to pump.

I'm taking my new pain-in-the-neck pump back and buying another Zefal. No retail stores around here carry them, so I'll just have to order online and wait for it to arrive!

I had to buy a new pump as soon as this one broke. I don't know the brand of the new one off the top of my head, but it's a pain. It's supposed to fit Presta and Standard, but it doesn't always work. I want my Zefal back!!!

[Mar 05, 2002]
Jason Nieman

Strength:

Lightweight. Fits well against the frame and never comes loose. Low profile. Cap keeps dirt out of pump head.

Takes quite awhile to pump up an MTB tire. For racing, CO2 is probably better.

After reading so many bad reviews, I figured I had to pipe in. Guys, this is not an every day pump. This is an emergency, on the trail pump. Keep it clean and use it like that, and it will serve you well. I have tried several other brands and they all fall apart almost instantly. The Zefal pumps are the best of the lot, and are also inexpensive. It takes awhile to pump up the tube, but it will bring it up to pressure and get you back on the trail. The graph feature is almost useless, though, so don't pay more for it.

I'd use the alloy bodied Zefal x4 on everthing, but it is too big to fit my size frame (16.5"). If you have problems with the minis, and flat a lot, and if it will fit, try those and you'll be happy as a clam.

Zefal x4, Blackburn, Serfas.

[Sep 27, 2001]
Paul Lang

Strength:

Light.

Cheap plasticy non-sturdy feel. Not confidence inspiring. Takes more effort to pump than others. More effort to insert/extract from (presta) valve.

This is a review for the E1. Never was happy with the construction with the E1 from day 1, but didn't complain since it was my first handpump and it was cheap. Finally died on me and purchased a Topeak Einstein and immediately realised how much better the quality and construction the Topeak was over the E1. More important, inflating was comparatively effortless and insertion/extraction to valve was much easier too. The E1 suddenly felt like some real cheap toy from the 70's.
The E1 does it's job and never fell apart, but it's performance it certainly subpar compared to the competition.

Topeak Einstein

[Sep 20, 2001]
Mike Suda

Strength:

Light and short and telescoping chamber with pressure gauge

Gauge didn'twork after 1st week.Purchased new one gauge broke ,chamber cracked.

Doesn't hold up if you ride on nails alot.

Innovations

[Nov 13, 1998]
Chris
weekend warrior

I bought the Zefal Mini Double Shot.I got a flat about 5 miles from my house. I made the mistake of not trying the pump before I mounted it to my bike and went for a ride. The pump left me walking after about 30-40 minutes of trying to get it to work. It is cheaply made, the presta adapter valve side didn't work and the shaft kept trying to bend while a made fetal attemps at filling the tire with air.

[Apr 02, 1999]
Danny Vlink

Strength:

This pump worked great for me. Used it until I won a Mammoth at a race. The mammoth is a much better pump but for the price the Zefal worked for me!

[Sep 27, 1998]
Big Poppa Pump
cross-country rider

I have a 4 year old Mini Double Shot and it still works. With proper maintenance (lubing), pumping action, and storage (saddle bag), it will do it's job. It should last for years if you don't abuse it (ie. aggressive pumping). Although, I must admit that it is made of flimsy plastic and that it takes Herculean strength to pump past 40psi. Use this pump for emergencies only. I normally use a cheapo $5 steel foot pump at home.

[Sep 28, 1998]
Big Poppa Pump
cross-country rider

One other thing I have to say about my Mini Double Shot is that it takes fewer strokes to inflate to 40psi than the Blackburn Shorty. Test it for yourself. I took me less than 180 strokes with my Zefal. But my friend's Blackburn took over 200 strokes! I got a full upperbody workout after this test.