Topeak Shock Master Blaster Pump

Shock Master Blaster

Topeak Shock Master Blaster

kickback2   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2011]
Strength:

Sturdy built, copmes with its harness to strap to the bike. feels good in hand not made cheap.

Takes alot of effort to pump up a tire. ( but its called mini for a reason) Really none thing other then that.

I think its a great little pump. For this flat tires. Its my first pump that I owned on my bike. I seen bad reveiws, but luckly I havent had any problems with it so far.

Similar Products Used: Never had a pump on my bike before.
Bryson Rast   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

Cool box.. =)

Leaks a lot of air when removing the fitting. Like all of it..

I wish I had read the reviews here first, but was handed this pump at a bike shop instead. I could not figure out how to keep air in the shock after using this pump. I have replaced it with the shock pump Manitou makes, and it works perfectly. I lose maybe a couple psi removing the new pump, where I'd lose 50-120 psi with the Topeak POS. You should not have to monkey with it to keep in the pressure.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Shock pump
Gordon Ghenter   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

compact, sturdy, works

gauge accuracy

I read the other reviews for this pump before I got this pump, but I bought it anyway. I guess maybe I got lucky and got a good one or something because I am happy with it. I bought this pump because I wanted something I could use out on the trail and this is a compact pump. I don't really care that the gauge doesn't work that well because there are so many factors (temperature, terrain, riding style, ect) affecting how much air I need in my shock that I find it easier just to go by sag because I'm not sure of the exact pressure I want.
I bought this pump to put air into my shock, and it has done that very well. I haven't had any problems with the pump leaking or anything like that. At first I thought I got a defective pump because I was trying to pump up a completely empty shock and no air was getting into the shock. In a last, desperate, attempt I started pumping furiously for a while and I was able to inflate the shock. I think what happens is that the retractable hose has to seat or something. Anyway, no problems with that at pressures above 60 psi. So you might want to only use this for an on the trail pump.

I give it 3 chilis for value because it has some problems and 5 chilis for overall because it does everything I need it to while I'm on the trail.

Mike Rajewski   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2002]
Strength:

ummmm.......it looks cool?

air loss when unscrewing

I actually thought there was something wrong with my brand new Cane Creek shock because this pump is so crappy. When I first bought it I'd maybe lose 10 lbs when unscrewing. Now, it's more like 40-60. DO NOT BUY.

Please let me know if there IS a decent shock pump out there. thx

Similar Products Used: none.....yet... HELP :)
Ed   [Sep 28, 2005]
Strength:

Heavy

Loses air. Hose flimsy. Tough to set dial (presta/Schrader). Heavy.

Though very pretty and cool design, I think the weight, and loss of air on use (and inaccurate gauge) may cause more harm than good. I tried a lighter, shock-specific pump from a colleague (that too leaked 50psi on unscrew) and may need to re-evaluate front shock nipple. Topeak makes a Pressure-Rite 90 degree schrader/shock adaptor that is supposed to prevent such airloss (why its not included...). I paid $40+ s/h
Someone needs to re-evaluate that as a Combo-pump, its a great idea. But indesign, its heavy and unreliable. I can't afford that on a 20 mile ride...

Similar Products Used: First Air Shock Pump. (I like their Joe Blow pump stand..but that is for tires...)
Christopher Pouliot   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

easily read gauge, compact design, retractable hose

leaks a lot if you screw it on all the way

This is a follow up to my first post.
The Topeak rep suggested that I not screw the fitting on all the way. So this year I tried not extending the hose and only screwing the fitting on until the guage reads, and voila, it works great! hardly looses any air, I read my Manitou 4 times starting at 150psi and each time the guage indicated about 5psi lost. Same deal with a Fox Float at 120psi. Went out riding and checked the shocks afterwards. The pump read the same pressure as before, so I have to apologize to Topeak for my first review, this pump is a great value.

Nick   [Apr 15, 2004]
Strength:

metal. . . nothing really worth mentioning since it doesn't work

leaks air when you remove it from the shock (at least 5lbs, but not a predictable amount). The gauge is also a joke. It slides inconsistently, and a few times it wouldn't even register when I pumped up the shock.

Don't waste your money on this pump. The gauge is very imprecise and doesn't always work, the hose bleeds air of the shock when you remove it, and the threads to attach it to the valves seem like they'll break pretty easily (i'm not going to wait to find out). I bought this thing yesterday, and I'm returning it tomorrow. If you're really desperate for a pump (like I was) and this is your only choice, at least buy it from REI so you can return it after you realize how crappy it is

Similar Products Used: none
Harald   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2000]
Strength:

Alu Body, Pumps easy, weight

The Gauge is so $*+#!! its so incorrect, that you dont know how much air you have pumped into your shock!, Losts air when you remove it from the valve!

Its not very good, because of the suckin Gauge. I wouldnt buy it.

Similar Products Used: none
John   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 1999]
Strength:

Small and light, pressure gauge, alu body

Rubber insert wears quickly, leaks air when you remove it from valve, weak plastic head fractured after a few uses

Tried to fix it but I couldn't so now i'm going to replace with something different cos it looks like it'll just break again. Doesn't do the job so 1 chilli for cheek.