Topeak Airhammer Classic Pump

Topeak Airhammer Classic Pump

Topeak Airhammer Classic

[Oct 03, 2008]
rickrmoon

Strength:

Bombproof

none although it is a little hard to push the fitting off the valve after inflation

All you need to know is this product has a 25 year warranty.

n/a

OVERALL
[May 23, 1999]
Mark McCarty
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Solid craftsmanship, check valve fitting compatible with both Schraeder & Presta valves, smooth action, and smooth wooden pump handle

No instructions were included with my pump. I had to go back to my local bike shop for assistance and instruction in order to use the pump.

This pump is great! Once Paul, the owner of Glendola Bikes, showed me how to use it, I was in business. The Airhammer Classic has a screw on, check valve that will fit both Schraeder and Presta valves. The check valve attaches to a special fitting on the pump's hose; it clicks into place like an air tool attaches to an air hose. The check valve lets air IN to the tire, but does NOT let it out! This is the real genius of this pump; you do not have to worry about losing half the air you just pumped into your tires. With the cheapo pumps that are sold in department stores, you know the ones with the that click on to the valve stem, this was a common problem. In fact, I was afraid to use my pump, worrying that the same thing might happen! However, the check valve keeps it in the tire, where it belongs. When you're done pumping your tires up to their proper pressure, you release the brass, female fitting on the pump hose, and unscrew the check valve. That's it! Your tires are now at their proper pressure.The Airhammer Classic features an analog pressure guage, which is fine with me. The user can rotate a white pointer around the face of the dial, so as to know where the proper tire pressure is, and not over or underinflate the tire.Another nice touch that this pump has is the nice, wooden handle! The handle feels good in one's hand. It is not too big or small. This is a nice touch in addition to the smooth action of the pump.The Airhammer Classic has two folding footpegs that are at the base of the pump. They fold down at an angle, making it easy to put them under your feet, steadying the pump as you use it. The footpegs also help keep the pump upright when it's not in use.Paul said that this pump would be nice, and, as usual, he was right! This is a very good pump at a good, fair price. It is solidly constructed, operates smoothly, and works well. It doesn't let the air escape like the cheap pumps do. I used it on my Marukin 12 speed, and it took only seconds for me to pump my tires up to their 90 lbs. of pressure. It's so nice to NOT have to go to the gas station to check my tire pressure; I can do it before I ever set out on a ride. I like this pump, and so will you!

Cheesy department store bike pumps

OVERALL