SKS Airbase Floor Pump Pump

Airbase Floor Pump

This floor pump features an ovalized, precision aluminum barrel with an integrated air channel for immediate high-pressure pumping.. AVACS (All Valves Adjustable Connecting System) adapts to any valve without having to change heads or adjust the pump. Solidized cast-iron base and folded rubber-coated footrests makes for a stable and long-lasting pump. Pressure gauge is located at the top of the pump, making it easy to read. Large, ergonomic softgrip handle is comfortable to hold.

Sherri   [Jul 23, 2014]
Strength:

Great customer service

I've just had an excellent customer service experience with SKS. They sent me a replacement part--the silver ring and a new seal which had been lost when I lent the pump to a bike tour--and followed up with specific email instructions and photos to assist me. They did not charge me for the parts or shipping. To add to the information on a previous review, their email is sks.sales@sks-usa.com. The pump has been great for 4 years now and I expect many more, as I'd never had trouble until losing the small parts.

databaseking_1@hotmail.com   Racer [Nov 08, 2013]
Strength:

It is extremely durable and well constructed.The hose is long and the gauge is fairly easy to read. A long hose enables the ease use of brass push-on presto valve adapter. .

Yes it falls over and the valve sucks. I have not seen any floor pump with a reliable easy to use valve. I cut the value off and bought a $15 US brass push-on valve for a presto valve. That solved the problem.

I'm replacing this pump because gauge stopped working after 6 year of use about 3 or 4 times a week. I went to 3 shops today to test the current pumps. I tested about 5 pumps. All of them with the exception of a screw on value sucked. I haven't found this pump in any store or I would have bought it again. Like I mentioned above I cut the valve off of this pump and used a hose clamp to secure a brass push-on valve. You push it straight on to the valve stem and pull straight up to remove. It does take some effort to pull it back off because it work like it is supposed to work with a snug fit on the valve stem.

Marco Lemes   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2008]
Strength:

Solid body construction, decent efficiency.

Feet: this pump will not remain standing on its feed, the folding feet are held by a plastic piece that's prone to breaking, and they don't hold the pump on the floor firmly when the pump is being used. The gasket...major design flaw!

The pump is of good construction, but some design features are not well thought out. Nonetheless, SKS is a serious company that stand behind its products. After having the pump for 4 years, it became impossible to use it because of the notorious gasket that dries out. I called SKS on a weekend and left them a message inquiring how I could replace the gasket. They called Monday morning and offered to not only replace the gasket, but to upgrade the whole nozzle and they offered to ship it to me for free! I got it a couple of days later. Great customer service! The pump now works very well. I'm happy with the result. Despite the design flaws, I feel compelled to give this pump four chilles!

Similar Products Used: Topek Joe Blow
Gordon Shumway   Cross Country Rider [Feb 02, 2006]
Strength:

solid construction, pumps up tires faster than just about every pump, looks nice, has survived shop and race use for about 5 years now.

the only weakness is human error. if you're inept or retarded, you don't have the mental capacity to hold the pump steady when you're inflating a tire. also, if you just ripped the instructions off the hose, you would have known where to ORDER SPARE PARTS FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you would have also found that you get SPARE PARTS FOR FREE FOR LIFE TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER.

as mentioned before, if the people below had taken one second to read the info that came with the pump, they wouldn't have the complaints they have. you get free parts for life you retards!!!!!!!!!!

of course, it's fairly pointless to mention this to some, who have come to rely on the base of the pump, to hold things steady. if you're too inept to hold a pump steady, or flail wildly as you pump up a tire, don't buy this pump. you'll only make yourself look silly when you complain and whine about the pump's short comings.

Similar Products Used: a lot of cheap plastic pumps. this pump easily blows away the Silca pumps made of cheap galvanized steel tubing. i hope the bike know-it-alls don't come after me for saying that!
Rich   Weekend Warrior [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

Easy Presta and Schraeder value adjustment. Gets he air in the tube fast. Comfortable grip.

The base on this pump has two pedals that fold. They are at the base with a plastic molding. The moulding is not strong enough. I lent the pump to two friends and each broke off the plastic moulding. Now my pump has no pedals to secure it when pumping. I have to secure the pump with my feet to keep it stable when pumping.

I wouldnt buy this product again. For the price the quality should be better. I'm sure you can do better with a more durable product, at a cheaper price.

Greg   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

Durable and smooth. It fills up tires quickly. SKS supports it too, no questions asked (see below).

Pump head (specifically the rubber gasket). I noticed the same issue that virtually everyone else has mentioned, that the rubber dries out, probably after no more than two years. The inadequate seal means you can't inflate very high, I got to about 35 psi.

HOWEVER, it's exposed rubber, folks, it's going to wear out. What really counts to me is what the company will do to fix it. I called SKS USA (thanks to whoever first listed their #; it is 618-395-2400 in case you need it), and the first person I talked to just took my name and address and shipped me a whole new head, gratis. Works for me...

Great pump. The fact that SKS gives you free replacement parts when things wear out is a big plus for me.

Zeus Yiamouyiannis   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2006]
Strength:

Smooth, strong stroke with a lot of air delivered per stroke. Durable cylinder with high pressure delivery.

Cryptic system for shrader/presta redux, but okay once you get used to it. Bad rubber gasket on the air chuck, wears out after a year of use (okay, you can get it replaced, but c'mon, I expect better from German engineering). Plastic brace holding the legs on the bottom broke. Why wasn't it metal?

Feast or famine with this one. Stupid flaws on crucial parts of the pump, yet some of the highest quality workmanship and materials on others. Bottom line: you want the air delivered, and this one does it well, IF you have the replacement parts for the stupid flaws. SKS-Germany has a very poor website (in terms of trying to find an actual person to contact) so I'll just copy the US distributor in this message if you need the parts.
Company SKS USA Corporation
Adress: East Main Street 1610
Postal / City: 62450 Olney, Illinois
Phone: 001 618 395 2400
Fax: 001 618 395 2900
eMail: send e-mail
Country: USA

Similar Products Used: Blackburn floor pump (the higher end one)
sweetnsourbkr   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2005]
Strength:

Consistent pump action, always gets the pressure to whatever I want it to be ......

..... as long as the air chuck works. It also tends to tip over if not on level ground, or if you have one foot holding it down on soft ground.

The biggest problem with this otherwise awesome pump is that the air chuck seal rubber compound hardens after about a year. Once this happens, it can no longer maintain an effective seal, which at low pressures is fine, but at anything higher than 40psi, leakage occurs. I'm currently looking for a replacement chuck that, hopefully, won't cost the same as the pump.

Can't seem to find any contact info for SKS on the internet either, so I can't get in touch with customer service. Perhaps someone here has an email/phone that they're willing to share?

Similar Products Used: Zefal, Silca
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2005]
Strength:

Fewer strokes to completely pump up tire. Outstanding customer service.

Not the best with schrader valves, but I don't use it for that purpose often. Gauge not extremely accurate; but haven't found one that is accurate.

This is a great pump. I have to be careful not to overfill my tires because there is alot of air pressure from each stroke. I ride a road bike more right now (because of gas prices), so I'm using this every day to keep proper pressure for the smaller road tires.

I like the locking mechanism for the handle, the slot to store the valve, and the folding feet. It takes up no unnecessary room in the car.

For all those who have had problems with replacement parts, have you tried calling the U.S. distributor? Go to the website, the address is located on your pump (www.sks-germany.com).

I called and they sent me two replacement gaskets at no charge. Later, I had a problem where the plastic part on the bottom broke, dislodging one of the folding feet. I called the company, and they sent me a brand new pump, and I had the old one for nearly 5 years. This is great customer service.

It's unfortunate that all of you have given this product a bad review, based on replacement parts availability and/or customer service.