Serfas FM-200 Full Metal Floor Pump

FM-200 Full Metal Floor

FM-200 Full Metal Floor Pump

the gladman   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2010]
Strength:

looks great

doesn't work

I was greatly satisfied smashing this piece of poop and putting it in the garbage can. Had something like a 25% success rate inflating any presta tubes, regardless of stem length. Each time prior to inflation ( when it did work) I'd have to deflate the tire completetly and pay WAY too much attention to cramming the valve into the pump head. When it did initiate pressurization the pump operated smoothly and the pressure guage seemed accurate.

Similar Products Used: floor pumps
bbarel   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2010]
Strength:

This is for the TCPG floor pump.
I like the valve connector.
Right size and weight.

Their valve connector with a single hole works well for presta valves. It lets out a little air when you press it on, but then seals good and is hassle free. Just press it on quickly and is no problem.

My old Innovations pump end with 2 holes for presta and schraeder never sealed well, so it leaked or the air would not go into the tire. It was a pia and it's going back.

The pump is all about the valve connector and I like the connector on this pump.

Similar Products Used: Innovations floor pump
DCer   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2009]

Terrible valve connection for Presta tubes

Terrible. This pump worked all right for about 3 months of very light use, and ha gone downhill ever since. The valve connection for Presta tubes just doesn't work - it lets out more air than I can get in the tube at any given time. Bad buy, I regret plunking down hard-earned cash for this useless pump.

Similar Products Used: other pumps by other mfgs
hawkeye   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2008]
Strength:

Pumps air well up to 100psi (haven't needed to go further), Smart valve pump head works well on both Presta and Shraeder valves. Comes with needles for footballs and exercise/gym balls.

Easily knocked over, gauge is rubbish

This review is for the Servas TCPG unit. I used to hink this pump was quite good. However...

Pump has a narrow plastic base, is top heavy, and is easily knocked over in the workshop. Perhaps as a result, the gauge is now damaged: every time I need to use it I have to disassemble the pressure gauge and reset the needle to zero, otherwise the needle starts at -30 to -50psi and my pressures are out accordingly. The gauge is not very well designed and the needle can easily jump around and out of position.

Similar Products Used: None
Rex   Weekend Warrior [Jan 01, 2008]
Strength:

cast body

valve head

The valve head is the weak spot on this pump. It just doesn't work well on presta stems, regardless of adjustment or setup. Not worth the buying in my experience. The body is very sturdy and it does pump quickly and easily when in the few times the valve head manages to work.

Similar Products Used: Many
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2005]
Strength:

Very sturdy construction all around.
OK for Schrader valves.

Is absolutely terrible for the Presta valve. Just plain will not inflate certain tubes with Presta, is very difficult for any Presta tube.

I really, really regret buying this thing. It has been nothing but frustration for me. I haven't returned it because I never am in the neighborhood of the shop where I bought it anymore.

Similar Products Used: Joe Blow, Hurricane.
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2005]
Strength:

Pumps air into presta and schrader stem tires.

The pump is top-heavy and prone to fall over. It is heavy metal so that when it falls over it will dent or chip whatever it hits. It has a poor design, with a small footprint that is inadequate to hold it upright against the slightest bump or tug. If it happens to fall against your new car, or happens to fall against your new bike, you can count on a dent or chip. Remember this: I told you so.

Look elsewhere. This pump is an accident looking for a place to fall against your Ferrari and put a big dent in it. Just look at the tiny footprint and you'll immediately see this puppy will fall over by just looking at it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized floor pump, various others.
Michael   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2003]
Strength:

It looks good and is sturdy.

It will not infate a tube with a Presta valve.

I bought this pump hoping it would help me maintain the correct tire pressure in my road bike. Before I tried to inflate the tire, I noticed leaking around the top of the cylinder when I pumped with my thumb over the pump head. Next, I tried to inflate a tire, but the pump head would not engage the valve core stem to let air in the tire. I returned the pump to the bike shop thinking I was doing something wrong. Several people at the shop tried it and had the same problems. We grabbed and identical model, and it also leaked and would not inflate a presta tube. I did not try the Schrader Valve.

Similar Products Used: ToPeak JoeBlow PX
V.Nguyen   [Jul 18, 2000]
Strength:

long narrow tube delivers plenty of air/stroke
sturdy construction w/gauge & comfy grips
long hose lets you pump while bike is on stand

none really
(maybe hard to find)

I never want to pay too much for a bike pump when you can always buy a cheap one and use a presta adapter (I did this for years). When I got a road bike, I needed a serious pump. This pump is one of the inexpensive ones out there that is actually built well and worth the money. The one thing I would like better is to have the gauge higher up or at the top b/c those numbers are kind of small.