Performance Hurricane Max Floor Pump Pump

Hurricane Max Floor Pump

Babs   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2007]
Strength:

When it works, it works well

I wasn't sure if it was me, or if it was the pump, or the tubes. Sometimes it would leak a lot. Just now I busted off the end of a presta valve. Another tube just leaks air. I give up. I'm here looking at reviews as I consider getting a better pump.

I want a new pump. (Hi Gaz, I see you got one of these crappy pumps, too. Are you still reading mtbr? Miss you!)

chris kernaghan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

cheap, looks good, pumps up road and mtn tires quickly

snapped the thin plastic piece inside the head that closes the valve one way or the other

Not worth it.

Similar Products Used: department store floor pumps
Don   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2006]
Strength:

Looks good, dial in easy to read spot.

Head was installed backwards, presta was on schrader side & schrader was on presta side. When I went to use it to fill a presta tire the stem compressor broke off. Stem compressor should not have been on that side of head. As in other reviews pump leaks air faster than it puts it in.

Would like to get new head for pump if I could & I could make it work right, since the manufacturer can't. Will not buy another one because they are cheap products.

Similar Products Used: JOE BLOW Much better pump at about the same price, and a whole lot better quality control.
Ori Shokek   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2005]
Strength:

Well, it lasted 7 years

It broke after 7 years
Fighting to pump faster while air's always leaking out slowly

Never totally satisfied with the pump. The dual head never worked well--you always were pumping faster to keep up with some air constantly escaping. But now it broke. Bottom line is I wouldn't buy it - there are enough products out there, and the average one is probably better.

Similar Products Used: I've only been seriously biking 7 years
David Loes   Racer [May 20, 2005]
Strength:

Pump pressure seems to work greatm and it is smooth. Easy to read gauge.

The presta and schrader valve is a nightmare. Constantly leaks and requires way to much effort to inflate a road bike tire. I am very disappointed in this product and am returning it to Performance. I would like the chance to find a replacement head.

Don't waste your time or money on this pump until they fix the valve problems.

Similar Products Used: Versair - excellent pump
Alberto   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2006]
Strength:

Gauge never worked. Air leaks like the motha!

Don't ever buy this Pump. Looks nice, but that's it! Worked for about 1 month. After that it started leaking air, when attempting to pump air into the tires. Had to hold the air from leaking with my thumb on one end. Pure garbage.

Patrick   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2005]
Strength:

Company stands behind 100% satisfaction policy. Return is easy. Everything but the dual head (shrader on one side and presta on the other) seemed to be sturdy and funcional.

The dual Presta/Schrader head with thumb lock lever leaked on arrival. The thumb lock lever should clamp down on to the tube stem (it does) and simultaneously seal the air off from the opposite side (it doesn't do). I had the same problem whether I used the shrader side or the presta side. The person I spoke with at Performance customer support said they had heard of this problem before. He recommended the Topeak JoeBlow Turbo which is on sale for about 15$ more than what the Performance Hurricane Max cost.

Everything but the dual pump head seemed to compare to pumps that cost 10-20$ more. Obviously the pump is worthless when the head doesn't function. I have to give Performance Bicycle high marks for their return policy and customer service (I was able to talk with a knowledgeable service rep on my first call), but the product was a disappointment.

kevin   Racer [Dec 09, 2002]
Strength:

price.

you get waht you pay for. Presta valve leaks and hard to work with and gauge is busted. But got 2 years out of it but will spend more to get one more reliable next time.

If your dedicated cyclist look elsewhere.

Jonathon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2004]
Strength:

Good value, AL tube, long hose, dual-use valve (no need to modify for Presta's), large clear gauge, stable base

None so far

For my 4 bikes, this pump just keeps working. No complaints. Good efficiency (for lots of PSI per pump stroke). What more could you ask for in a cheap home pump?

Similar Products Used: no names
Gaz Edmunds   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2005]
Strength:

It's an inexpensive floor pump.

Leaks air, pressure guage seems to be decoration only.

It blows, and not in that good way. I let a friend have my old Pedros floor pump, and he managed to kill it (left it in his garage, and his wife felt it would be a good idea to park on it) so this was purchased as a replacement. Yuck. As others have noted, the valve head leaks air like nobody's business, and I have only once ever managed to get a reading from the pressure guage. The upshot of all of this is that when you inflate your tires prior to a ride, it takes five times longer than it should because you're messing with the valve, and it's based on guesswork since because of said valve and guage, you never know exactly how much air is in there (so you revert to the oul' "pinch the tire every couple of strokes to see how it feels" trick.) It's cheap, and I suppose you get what you pay for. Booo, Performace!!!