Performance Hurricane HP Mini Pump Pump

Hurricane HP Mini Pump

Performance Hurricane HP Mini Pump

Berkeley Mike   Cross Country Rider [May 06, 2010]
Strength:

High volume and high pressure.

I hate mini-pumps. If they are small and light they have little power or are fussy and lame. I run a High school racing team. When we have flats everyone wants to use this pump. It expends for large volume and still has the muscle for high pressure. I carry it in my camelback and stays in great working condition.

Similar Products Used: you name it
NA1NSXR   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2008]
Strength:

Inflates mountain bike tires to a ridable pressure relatively easily, reversible head works on both shraeder and presta, mounting bracket (although just plastic) actually retains the pump even during hard riding

flimsy construction, poorly designed mounting bracket

I had this for less than a week. After a crash on the bike the plastic mounting bracket snapped off the mounts. I bought another bracket for $2. Then, after laying the bike down today, the pump's barrel was dented slightly and rendered the pump useless. I tried to force the pump a couple of times to see if it would work in an emergency but the pump handle pretty much just ripped off the thing. Another qualm is the bottle cage mounted plastic bracket, which is offset to the side. This is supposed to allow you to also have a conventional bottle cage mounted to the same holes with the included extra long screws but having the pump on the side of the bike tube is just asking for it to get banged up. The only good thing i can say about that is that although the pump is mounted to the side of the frame it does not interfere with the pedal stroke.

I am ashamed that I tried to save some money by buying the cheapest pump in a large chain store. I should have known such a thing couldn't be trusted by anyone except for recreational riders.

3 value chilis for users unlikely to damage the unit as it works fine and is very cheap.

1 overall rating because this is advertised as an ATB pump and it is simply too fragile to use in an all-terrain situation.

Trevor   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2006]
Strength:

The pump has retroflective silver paint, which might be easy to find in low light in the garage. Also if you get a flat tire in a bad neighborhood, you may consider using it as a defensive club on your walk home since it will not inflate your tire.

Everything, I bought the pump about 3 months ago and attempted to use it on about 3 flats. The air would leak out from the head faster than I could pump. Upon attempted use of the pump this evening, I was overcomed with rage and cracked it in half over my leg. DONT BUY IT. Spend a few more bucks and get something that actually works.

Don't buy it, waste of time, money, sweat, anger, and calories.

Similar Products Used: none yet
Al Schuehle   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2003]
Strength:

Small Size
Will pump to 100+ psig as advertised
Able to get a good seal on Schrader and Presta valves
Low cost

A little slow to pump to max pressure
A bit heavy (134 gm) but anything above 0 is heavy!

I wanted something somewhat small (9 inches) light (134 gm) that would fit both types of valves and would pump to 100 psig. Also did not want to have to fiddle with changing heads or seals when going from one type of valve to the other. Many pumps I tried claim to pump to 90-120 psig but in reality they would only pump to 60-80 psig! Also pumps with the intellegent head (IH) claim to fit both types of valves, sort of "one size fits all", but in reality they would leak and pop off at high pressure (maybe OK if you are going to Mtn bike 55 pisg pressures). So far the Hurricane gets a good seal and pumps to 100+ psig. The "T" head is nice in that it makes for a good hand hold to support the pump when pumping. Hopefully this pump will last which is the only concern.

The other option considered was the CO2 system which has its own pros and cons. I decided first to try the Hurricane rather than mess with storing and carrying compressed CO2.

Similar Products Used: SKS Maxi Matrix Zoom
Blackburn Mtn
Bob Grabowski   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 24, 1999]
Strength:

Lightweight
Small
Full Time Schrader/Presta Valve

None I've found

This pump fits nicely on the bike frame, and works well. I couldn't ask for more.

Similar Products Used: Blackburn Mtn Air Pump
Alex   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 22, 1999]
Strength:

None at all. It's a piece of junk.

Develops little pressure and pushes very little volume.

This was the older mini-pump. I took it apart and try lubing some of the parts but the pump pumped very little air. What do you expect for 9 bucks!!! I recent got a Topeak Einstein and it kicks butt!! But I also paid twenty bucks for it. I guess the saying is true!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn bicycle pump, and a Topeak Einstein. Those products are much better.
brian   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 24, 1999]
Strength:

paid 5 bucks for it

takes FOREVER to pump up a tube.

Well this pump will put air into your tire it will just take you a hell of a long time to do it. I have had to use it twice on the trail and it sure took a lot of strokes to put in enough air just to be able to ride. Definitely not a pump to use if you race and get a flat. I am going to get a new one before I race again.

John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 1999]
Strength:

It's perfect! (and really cheap!)Light weight

At the risk of losing all my credibilty I'm rating this cheap little high pressure pump the best!First of all, price is not an issue with me.I believe that quality and performance determine a product's value-not how much it costs. I tried every pump ( or at least 20 of them) and this one is by far the finest, easiest to use and capable of extremely high pressure with very little effort - and has much more volume than you would expect from a pump this size!(and this is compared to the Blackburn Air-Stick (heavier)that I think is a really good pump!) It has a dual head which never leaks and a telescoping aluminum barrel. Works much better than every pump I've used (at any price)-and is the cheapest(under $13.00).I tried this pump after an exhaustive search and as a last resort and couldn't believe that a house-brand (Performance) cheapie literally blew all the others away! (no pun intended) I was also considering ease of use for my wife's road bike, and this one requires the least effort to reach 110lbs! You won't regret buying this pump! This is the ONLY instance I've found so far in cycling that the cheapest product is the best designed! It easily deserves a 10 flaming chili thingie rating!

Similar Products Used: Every pump made
Tim   Racer [May 13, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, lightweight, small

Poor reliability

I got this pump about a year ago, have used it to fix 2-3 flats. It got the job done, but it took a while to inflate to 45 psi. Then last night it just wouldn't pump any air. I was extrememly lucky that my walk back to the car was only a few blocks, not a few miles. Not sure what killed the pump, nothing is visibly wrong with it. Winter rides in slushy conditions with it strapped to the frame may have contributed to the failure.