Park Tool PFP-2 Pump

Park Tool PFP-2 Pump

The PFP-2 is a shop quality pump for the professional mechanic. Packed with features and built to last for years of dependable service. It features a smooth operating double barrel design with a cast alloy head that fits both presta and schrader valves. A comfortable oversized steel handle with "soft-touch" rubber grips and a top-mounted industrial quality pressure guage (rated to 160 PSI) in tandem with an extra long high pressure hose keep the pump comfortable and easy to use.

[Jan 09, 2012]
kingrabies

Strength:

Built Solid. The power of Heavy Metal, but it plays a cacophonous tune.

The head design can only be described as beyond awful, as it is exceedingly difficult to seat properly. Placing and removing it from valve stems, of either type but esp. Schrader, hurts my hands - and my hands are very strong. May the Gods help weaker souls... The lever also takes great effort to clamp and unclamp - it feels like forcing it into place is going to make your hands develop arthritis. The design also suffers from very awkward ergonomics i the pump is very heavy, balance is top heavy, and an inadvertent hose tug sends its great bulk toppling down with a huge pounding whallop onto the floor. WHAM!

You have to wonder what Park was thinking with this stinker. I got it as a freebie, as a friend was actually throwing it out - he became fed up with it when both the pressure gauge broke and the head gasket died. (he bought a vastly superior Lenzyne). After ordering about $15 worth of parts from Park (they do have great customer service, at least), I still feel ripped off even though I got it for next to nothing. It's an attractive nuisance, like a rogue fish trap that's broken loose from its buoy, which then sits below a reef and continues for years to lure fish to a gruesome death by starvation. It won't fail to make you wish you had never seen it. I'm thinking about smashing it beyond repair before I throw it out to prevent it claiming yet another victim.

Joe Blow Sprint - an excellent pump; Lenzyne floor pump - simple elegance that works.

[Aug 25, 2008]
Mike Kokorudz

Strength:

Solid construction. Ergonomic handle with rubber grips.

Pump head difficult to engage. Gauge highly inaccurate, reading about 25% lower than actual.

Although I originally had problems with the head and gauge on this pump, I have to give high praise to Park Tool for standing behind their products. Calvin Jones sent me a new head and gauge immediately and gratis upon request even though I purchased it 2.5 years ago.

Ascent, Topeak Joe Blow Pro

[May 19, 2008]
Russell

Strength:

Park Customer Service is as good as it gets.

Just average performance, no bleed valve.

Although this pump is not exceptional at any one thing, it does do the job. Although many on this thread have had head problems, the head on my pump switches from presta to schrader just fine and releases from presta valves with no problem. My gauge did eventually break, and one email to Park and a new one was in the mail no questions asked. I received my new gauge in about 5 days.

Silca, Blackburn

[Jul 09, 2007]
Chris

Strength:

Looks very nice. Has the Park name, which usually means quality.

Terrible design of pump head.

I finally "lost it" and threw this pump as far as I could. The internal head switch to go from Presta to Schrader sticks in place. I took it apart once and got it working and lubed it. I don't have time to repair my pump every time I use it. Once you get it on a Presta valve, it does not want to come off. You have to pull hard enough to risk driving the back of your hand into the disc rotor or some other unforgiving object. The guage was toasted during the first week since the pump head is difficult to engage (when the air is not able to get into the tire, pressure quickly builds up in the hose and exceeds the pressure guage maximum setting, permanently tweaking the guage).

I hate to give negative reviews. but this pump really deserves it. There is no point going over the postives of the design, because none of it matters if you can't get the pump head on and off of the valves...

[Feb 13, 2006]
Sam

Strength:

Durable barrel, good handle and stable base.

Very poor head. I personally cleaned and rebuilt the head when it did not work after purchase. There was no other option since I was in the north woods with no options. It works well after I fixed it. But it works much worse than any of the four pumps I've owned over the last 20 years.

This is my backup pump. It has proved too unreliable and takes greater effort than my Blackburn. Huge dissappointment for a Park product.

Silica presta, Schwinn, Blackburn and private label brand.

[Dec 07, 2006]
Clevor

Strength:

Sturdy construction, massive pump head, very quick to fill road tires due to dual chamber.

Wish the arrow ring pointing to tire pressure would stay put; it's too easy to rotate it around. Rather hard to get the pump head off.

I have a contrary opinion of this pump in that I think Park fixed the issues (I bought my pump around a year ago). While it is true the pump head is hard to get off (it utilizes a locking lever), it does hold the valve more reliably (like a bear bite) than the Silcas, which are just a friction fit. It's no wonder the Silcas are easier to remove. I've never liked the Silcas in that you get paranoid that with the high tire pressures, the pump head will blow right off.

To me the Park fills tires faster than the Silca due to the dual chamber design. The gauge has always been accurate for me.

The trick to getting the pump head off is pull it off in a direct vertical motion. You have to do it in a quick motion to prevent bleeding off pressure. I sorta have the hang of it now.

But I am high on this pump due to the effortless pump stroke compared to the Silcas. I prefer it over the Silca now.

In regards to the pump head, both Silca and Park should learn from the cheap plastic pumps you can get in Japan for $20. It uses a small knurled adapter you thread unto the opened Presta valve. Than you just insert the other end into the pump head and lock it with the lever. Totally positive locking action and no leakage. Once the tire is filled, release the locking lever and unscrew the adapter. No noise of bleeding air whatsoever! Works like a charm.

Silca ATB and road pumps

[Oct 30, 2006]
Cary

Strength:

Looks nice.

It doesn't do what it's supposed to.

What a joke. I thought it was me until I checked here. The first failure was the pressure gauge broke, sticking at 35 psi. The only good thing I can say is that Park sent me a new one no questions asked. The more pervasive problem is the air chuck. At first I thought it needed to break in, but over time it just got worse, impossible to seat and even more impossible to remove. After the second time of the chuck pulling the stem off a schrader tube (yes that is how hard you have to pull and this is with holding the stem to try and keep it from happening), I had it. I'm glad I bought it at performance, they took it back and exchanged me for Topeak.

If I were buying a new one, I would buy a specialized pump.

Blackburn, Topeak.

[Sep 10, 2006]
Brendan

Strength:

Hmmm

It does want to inflate my tires

I'm glad I'm not alone. I figured I'd buy one good floor pump after a cheap one I had broke. It got progressively more difficult to seat presta valves in the head. It would take about 5 attempts before it would inflate. I thought I had screwed up the head, and spent $16(+$10 S&H) for a new head. which turned out to be even worse. So I threw good money after bad. Very disappointing, especially since the damn pump has been on the market for several years(they had a recall in 2003) and Park hasn't bothered to address this problem.

Various - about to buy a Silca pump

[Nov 26, 2006]
Dewey

Strength:

Its heavy and it looks like its well made

Pump head is a massive pain

I bought this pump because I occasionally pump up the neighbor kids bikes with Schraeder valves and I wanted a dual head pump. After using two different Silca pumps for 20 years with no problems, I am totally dissapointed in this pump. I cant get the pump head to sit on and fully engage the stem straight, Its hard as hell to remove it from the valve, I have hurt my hand many times trying to get the thumblock released. The valving or whatever that controls how the gauge reads also is very inconsistent. Sometimes the gauge just keeps going and going and going!
Like others, I wish I would have come and read the reviews on this pump before I bought it, but I trusted the Park name, but this thing is crap and I cant believe that Park keeps selling it the way it is.
If this thing was just substandard, I would dump it on Ebay, but it works so bad, I would feel guilty selling this piece of junk to anyone else.
Sorry Park, this thing just doesn't cut it, especially at the price it retails for.

Silca

[May 14, 2006]
freddie

Strength:

Comfortable grip, pressure gauge that reads in 2pound increments.

Thumblock requires way too much effort to engage, the pin that the thumblock swivels on would continually back out on mine, air leaks from the chuck after very short time period (maybe a couple of months), and last but not least, forget about using the schrader opening (it's very difficult to work the schrader opening onto your schrader valve and damn near impossible to get it off.

Sharing the opinion of most of the other reviewers I must concur that THIS PUMP SUCKS!

One other comment: I prefer a chuck that has just one head that automatically senses which type of valve it's being attached to. The double "shotgun" type head makes engaging the high effort thumblock on the Park pump that much more awkward.

I just bought a Performance Hurricane Team pump on sale. Hopefully it will perform better than this POS.

Silca track pump, various Performance brand pumps.