Innovation Air Chuck Pump

Innovation Air Chuck Pump

Innovations Air Chuck Elite: Genuine Innovations top of the line mini inflator with Push-to-Inflate CO2 flow control. Works with all Genuine Innovations threaded CO2 cartridges (except 45 gram) and Genuine Innovations Big Air!

[Oct 11, 2009]
MOMtbiker

Strength:

Simple to use... makes inflation FAST. I have used this more then 15 times and it works flawless. Out on the trail it can't be beat for getting you going again. Pumping a tire with a mini pump takes a ton of time and can wear you out. The Innovations couldnt work any better.

wish the replacement cartridge were cheaper... but its still way better then using a hand pump on the trail.

I am not sure why there is any negative feedback other then because they didnt read the instructions. If you do what the instructions say then you will understand how simple and flawless this thing will work. Seems like thats what most bad reviews are... people not understanding or not taking the time to figure out how to properly use it.

You can get on Innovations web site for the instructions and also for instructional video's. Give it a try BEFORE going out on the trail!

[Dec 16, 2008]
redracer

Strength:

None - no lance to pierce air canister

Crappy Company - ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT

Will never patronize Innovations again!

Planet bike

[Oct 07, 2008]
Xtradust

Strength:

Quick and light.

Frostbite

This thing is pretty cool. No more pumping. But, it ain't all that. The 'air chuck' gets so cold when inflating that it gave me frostbite blisters on my fingers. Now that I know what to expect, I just inflate a little at a time and I don't hold it so tight. (Or I ask a riding buddy if they want to try it! J/K)

Also, I run 26x2.35 tires and it didn't fill the tires as much as I would have liked. Probably between 35-40psi. If I got a second pinch flat on the way home, I would have been stuck. LBS's carry a 26g canister for 29ers now that has plenty of air.

With the bigger canister, it almost weighs what my mini-pump did. It still saves me space and fits in the small pack under my seat. Canisters aren't cheap. But my flats are pretty rare, so it's worth it for me.

[Aug 23, 2008]
NA1NSXR

Strength:

No brainer operation

Costs

I really like this thing as an alternative to carrying a pump. However, the name brand catridges they suggest you use exclusively are expensive. They are supposed to save the rubber seal on the device and the tube by forgoing the oil content present in cheap generic catridges.

For reference, a single 16g cartridge inflates my 2.1 tire from tube installation pressure to about the 40psi as advertised. I would suggest inflating the tire in 2 or 3 steps, allowing the catridge to warm up slightly between bursts and you to check if the tire is seated correctly.

I've only used it twice though, once to test it out and once more on the trail, so I cannot say anything about the durability yet.

Obviously, the valve itself is pretty overpriced to begin with, but I suppose you are paying more for the utility than the cost of materials. I would rate this as a must have if catridges were cheaper, but at the cost of at least $3 a cartidge a quality pump may be just as cost effective and reliable in the long run. Frame pumps mounted on my bike always break though and I have no room in my Camelback classic to carry one there, so since the complete kit fits in my saddle bag easily its my choice to bring out.

[Sep 02, 2003]
Matthew

Strength:

Stoopid simple, elegant design. Light. Works.

Just two, but they're minor. 1: You can't use non-threaded cartridges, but who cares? 2: If you thread a cartridge on, thereby puncturing it, and then leave it for a while without filling a tire, the CO2 can cause the rubber seals to dry out and crack. Only thread a cartridge on when you're going to use it right away.

What's to say? This thing is brilliant. It's simple, light, and works well. You can use it on both schraeder and presta valves without any tinkering. Air modulation is great. I still carry a mini pump as backup, but I'd much rather save my arm and use this first. Everyone should own this.

Topeak mini-pumps, other inflators that I don't remember.

[Aug 14, 2007]
1-2win

Strength:

Storage capability due to compact size. Great idea but poor durability (see bottom line)

durability

The thing just blew up apart while using it. Bought it a year ago and just had the chance to use it 4 or 5 times before it wrecked.

I have another one I bought for my wife which I haven´t use yet. Hope this one doesn´t turn into trash the way the first one did.

[Jul 15, 2007]
David Yates

Strength:

Super small, light and reliable. I've used it for my road bike tyres and carry it when racing. It inflates road tyres in 3 - 4 seconds to about 110PSI (measured), which is sufficient to finish the ride on.

No weaknesses but things you need to be aware of when dealing with any CO2 inflation system. 1 It inflates very quickly so you need to ensure the tube is properly inside the tyre first, I usually take a mini pump with me for back up, but I use the AirChuck SL to get the pressure up quickly so I can get back to riding again. 2. Be aware that the escaping gas cause the outside of the CO2 canister to get freezing cold, so wear gloves when you use it or protect your hands with a t-shirt or similar item of clothing.

Great product, so small and light I carry it with me on all my rides. It's saved me time and effort when I have had punctures and is worth every cent.

[Jan 17, 2007]
Lee

Strength:

Small (takes up very little space), light weight, easy to use! WORKS!

None.

This is a great product, for only $14.00 everyone should have it - but it is a MUST for those who run tubeless, or those who like to fill up quick while on the trail.

[Jan 29, 2002]
Frank

Strength:

Easy to use, FAST. Small and inexpensive

None yet

Very good tool. Saves a lot of time pumping. Instructions say it fills ATB tire to 40lbs. Tire felt fine after fill up. Very small, I carry the chuck and two cartridges and a pump for backup. I would defintly buy this, it saves time

Pumps

[Jun 28, 2005]
jason

i think this thing is great...way better than a hand pump! a must have for any racer. simple to operate. the air chuck is relatively cheap, but the C02 cartridges (THREADED only) are a little hard to find and expensive (minus one chili on the value rating). given the price issue, i still wouldn't live without it now that i've tried it. NOTE: i'm not sure about the roadies, but ONE of my high volume mountain bike tires requires TWO cartridges to get it near 40 psi...carry multiple cartridges and a back-up hand pump just in case.