Blackburn TP-4 Pump

TP-4

TrakPump Pro comes with patent pending MagicGripper technology.

Ken   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2016]
Strength:

Lots of volume per stroke.

Parts not available.

I like this pump. I just purchased a Trek Alpha One and it fills tire in seconds. Does anyone have a schematic of the internal guts of this pump? I would like to rebuild the pump but need to know the parts inside in case I need to fabricate anything.
Thanks a zillion if you do. I will pay for also.

Ken

eomcurator   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2012]
Strength:

The Blackburn TP-4 has been a very durable product. I used it occasionally with no problems for well over a decade, until today.

This model is no longer made, and Blackburn customer service says they no longer have replacement parts. My pump no longer works because a small plastic part inside the Schrader nozzle deteriorated and disintegrated. If I could obtain that small part, or the entire hose, it would really make my day! Unfortunately, Blackburn says nothing it has is compatible. I was told that the warranty period was 5 years, and unlike some people who received free recent models when their TP-4 pumps needed repairs, apparently my lesser problem did not quality.

This was an excellent product during the many, many years that it lasted.

Similar Products Used: Because I needed a pump in a hurry and was near a big box store, I bought a very inexpensive ($17) Bell Windstorm. It did the job of pumping up my tires, but the guage was defective and before I realized that this was the case I over-inflated a tube, which burst. I was watching the guage rather than thinking. I will return that pump.
jkretsch   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2011]
Strength:

Solid build quality. Amazing customer service.

Smarthead isn't the easiest to use.

I have to agree with several of the previous posters - Blackburn rocks!! Like a previous reviewer, I just got off the phone with Blackburn to see if I could order a rebuild kit. The TP-4 is no longer in production so they offered to send me the equivalent replacement (Air Tower 4) free of charge!! I'll never buy another brand of pump again.

captnmal   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2011]
Strength:

smooth, reliable operation, easy to read gauge, comfortable handle, has good weight.

hose storage clip is lame

I use this pump irregularly to pump up my bike tires and occasionally to top up my car tire. I find the hose head/connector a little tricky to seat between the spokes but it seals well when right. My bottom line for any tool or accessory is durability; so far, so good. I have had the pump about five years I really cannot complain. It feels solidly built. I would like to find a bit of information about maintenance, whether to oil it, what kind of oil, etc....

Similar Products Used: schwinn
Michael L   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2011]
Strength:

Lifetime warranty, guage up where you can see it (great for us old coots),ease of use and again- lifetime warranty

Not too thrilled with the clip that holds the hose for storage

I've owned this pump for 10 years and have got a lot of problem free usage until lately when it is hard to pump air into the tire. I called Blackburn today and was talking with a rep in less than one minute and he spoke fluent English! He figured it to be a problem that rebuilding will not fix so get this- they are sending me a new pump and I do not have to send back the old one! Yes, you heard me right, no cost replacement! In this age of one year warranties, pay for extended warranties,hassle when you have a problem, etc. why would anyone purchase a competitor's product? Blackburn's got me for life.

Similar Products Used: Many other brands
bbartle   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2009]
Strength:

Lifetime warranty!

It breaks every once in awhile.

I've been using this product for around six years. Parts have broken three times(one the inflation tube severed which was kind of weird). Each time Bell customer service has sent me parts via mail when I called in. Awesome! Without this level of service, this pump would have hit the dust bin some time ago. Still works great and I plan to keep using it until they no longer have parts available.

David Harp   Weekend Warrior [Oct 18, 2005]
Strength:

This has been a solid pump for many years with no problems. I use it for both road and mountain tires and it works great on both.

After years of use the "magic gripper" pump head broke. Bell Sports replaced it for me free of charge and no questions asked. A customer service dream.

This is a very good pump and a GREAT company.

Similar Products Used: All of my friend's pumps and I've never liked one any better than the Blackburn.
Slack   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2005]
Strength:

Rugged construction, guage at top

Schraeder nozzle

I only needed the Schraeder side of the nozzle. I found that it would stay on sometimes, and at other times it would fly off with a burst. I found that I sometimes needed to hold it on with my foot, to keep it in place, while I pumped up my mountain bike tires.
Everything else about the pump seemed to be of good quality, except for the nozzle. I came up with the idea to replace it with the Topeak SmartHead Upgrade Kit $18.00 Item 634037 from REI:
The nozzle with this upgrade kit has a lever to hold it in place, and it works great.
Note: This Topeak nozzle works the opposite of how I think that it should. You have to put the nozzle on, then lift up on the lever, to lock it in place.
Added use: I found that I can even use it, quite easily, to put pump up my car tires. 5 pumps to get 1 PSI. (Why don't they advertise bike pumps for this?)

Henry   Racer [Dec 11, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to read guage, good handle

Valve head wears out to fast, after a season of use it needs rebuilt.

This pump is great for about a year and then it's time for a new one, replacing the guts never really brings it back to good working condition. Not a good pump for a home mechanic or someone who rides daily, would work well for the weekend warrior.