Blackburn TP-2 Pump

Blackburn TP-2

colin   Racer [Jan 14, 2012]

Poor tube valve conection and also moisture has got behind glass of pressure gauge and it has gone black, (cant read it) pump still works, would like to replace pressure gauge if possible, any one now where I can purchase one

good air pressurre and solid base, but if ussed in the open should be fitted with a more water proof seal.

montyw47   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2011]
Strength:

Pump has nice gauge, can pump up auto tire(SHRADER type).

Plastic cap can be over tightened and top breaks off from shoving internals too far up airway. Presta style valve hard to fit properly.

1 tiny plastic part disables whole pump.

Birdman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

Fairly light, compact, sturdy

Lever pin in chuck

The plastic lever pin in the air chuck broke, but I replaced it with a steel one (made from a piece of clothes hanger wire) and the pump has been flawless since then. I've had it about 12-15 years. Just turn the barrel into the base every once in a while to keep it secure, and you're good to go.

I've replaced the air chuck seals at least once, and lubed the plunger once or twice. I'd buy another.

Similar Products Used: Hurricane pump
McBenney   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2009]
Strength:

Durability, workmanship, customer service

Post treads not reinforced stripped out--after 13 years.

I had the same failure that others have described where the main post separated from the base. However this was only after 13+ years of use. Not bad in my book. Got a replacement pump from Blackburn under their lifetime warranty. Can't explain everyone else's poor performance but this pump goes down as a very good product in my book.

Darryl Williams   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2008]
Strength:

Low pressure tires

High pressure tires 120psi-150psi

I use this pump to pump up my road bike tires. Several times the hose has split at the base of the pump. Now the Plastic piece inside the tube with the o-ring around it broke and I cannot find any replacement parts:(

Similar Products Used: none
Micah   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2000]
Strength:

pumps my tires up

Keeps breaking my presta valves...requires more force then it should to lock onto the stem.

I bought this thing cause I wanted a good pump. Tired of messing around with cheap ones/mini pumps. This thing seems to pump tires up ok but the magic head is a piece of crap. There is some little knob that is supposed to come down to punch the schrader valve or something. Anyhow the thing doesn't always retract and when I pump up my presta valves the thing clamps on and bends them. I have to bend them back so I can screw them back down. Takes about two times before the head snaps off and I have to replace the tube. I ended up going out and buying the brass pump head for the topeak pump for 9$( push it on, pull it off...simple and it works). The only reason I got the magic head is my wife has got some cruiser with schrader valves. Also this thing requires a good amount of force to lock onto the stem.

I would stay away from this PoS.

Nick   [Mar 13, 2000]

I just wanted to make a comment about the Blackburn customer service. I have an old shorty pump, and the waterbottle-type bracket finally gave out. Well, I emailed them to ask how to order another, and the next day I recieved a reply: "It is on its way...no charge!"

EXCELLENT! This is how things should work!

Todd   Racer [Oct 13, 1999]
Strength:

Ver reliable. decent price

None yet

I bought this pump about 8 years ago. I pump by road tires to 150 PSI with it. it works flawlessly every time. If it broke today I would go buy another one. I have gotten alot of use from this pump.

K   weekend warrior [Mar 11, 1999]

I've had one of these pumps for nearly 5 years and it's been flawless since the day I bought it. Only thing I've had to do to it was replace the hose 'cause I was a moron and kinked the hose which caused it to eventually rupture. $5 and 5 minutes later, it was functional again. The only bad sides to this pump are the fact that the base is narrow and unless you stand firmly it, the pump becomes fairly wobbly, and the guage has small numbers which makes it kinda hard to read when your standing above it pumping away. Small quibbles for a pump that has taken untold amounts of abuse and withstood my complete disregard of its maintenance and still pumps as well as the day I bought it. I'll give it a nice 4 chili review, since there are a few things that could be done to improve it, but they would just be icing on the cake.

the Walrus   weekend warrior [Jan 11, 1999]

I've been using a TP-2 for about 2 years now, and it's been a bit of a mixed blessing. On the positive side, it moves a lot of air quickly, the action is smooth and the gauge is pretty accurate. However, the narrow base is pretty unstable, and the chuck head is a royal pain--I have to go back and forth between Presta and Schrader all the time, and changing chucks is a clumsy process. I have not had any trouble with breakage like some of the people below; despite its quirks, the pump gives good, but not great, service. Hence, I can't give it more than 4 chilis.