Blackburn Shorty Comp Pump

Half the size, twice the air! This is the little pump that could. Bomb-proof aluminum, high-impact construction and reinforced plastic parts embrace the rigors of the trail. Oversized barrel pumps to 90 psi and fills tires fast. Fits both Presta and Shrader valves with easy conversion. Integrated mud/dust cap keeps grime out of pump; disassembles easily for cleaning and maintenance. Includes side clip to store pump on bike.

MadVermonter   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2016]
Strength:

Durable, Long lasting, and solid pump that is easy to maintain

No so easy to convert it on the trail from presta to Schrader. Dual action would be faster

I have had this pump in my trail since 2002. Originally had it mounted on my bike, but now keep it in my camelback as one less thing to clean after a ride. I unscrew it, clean it with a rag, lube the O-rings and valve with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil and it continues to operate smoothly after almost 15 years. The rubber clamp inserts require occasional replacement, maybe after every 100 flats.

Bob   [Oct 24, 2013]
Strength:

Extremely Reliable. Easy to use & service.

When at upper limit of pressure threshold it can be hard work to get that last Psi into the tube but who runs Rock hard tyres anyway

Have owned this Pump 1997. Has not failed me, still going strong. Cannot for the life of me figure out why some people have had problems with this pump its basic to use and sturdy as hell.
The Bracket is also very sturdy as it too has lasted since 1997 n therefore been used, abused n crashed many times over!
Its outlasted 5 bikes!
Just Bought a rebuild kit for it as the Rubber jobby that grips the tube valve has started to perish

simon   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2011]
Strength:

It hasn't broken after much use and pumps quite quickly

I don't think the pump is available anymore, which is a shame as I'm not sure if Blackburn's current models are as good. But if you have one, right now in the UK you can get a rebuild kit for it (Blackburn Pump Rebuild Kit - PRK3) for just two pounds from chain reaction cycles

I got one and rebuilt my pump so hopefully it's as good as new now and will last another 7 years !

Jason   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

Long lasting. Durable. Capable of both schrader and presta valves. Lightweight.

I've been using this pump religiously for the last 9 years and it hasn't failed me yet. The action is smooth and delivers air with every pump. The only issue i've had is the rubber piece which allows you to switch from presta to schrader, or vice versa, no longer comes out. Luckily I only need it for presta valves. I highly recommend this product and the Blackburn brand.

Similar Products Used: Topeak garbage
Bill Coulam   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2006]
Strength:

Light, small, durable

Thumb lock is really hard to get leverage under to lock in place. But then again, I have wimpy fingers like a 12 yr old girl.

Have ridden with this in my camelbak for the last 6 years everywhere. It has always come through for me. It is only recently as I've switched back and forth between Presta and Schraeder that I've cut up the little rubber gasket and broken a little piece off the plastic valve insert. So it is time for a new one.

But it usually didn't take more than 60 to 120 pumps to get a tire on the road again, depending of level of deflation.

I mainly wanted size and durability, and that's what I got.

Five flaming chilies!

Similar Products Used: Zefal, Performance mini pumps
Graham   Weekend Warrior [Feb 02, 2004]
Strength:

Small, Large air chamber, Good Grip, Cool Looking.

Hard to Change from different Valves.

Sweet Pump I haven't had a problem with it, works Great.
It's hard to change for different valves but then I only use one kind So theres no Problem.

Similar Products Used: Can't Recall.
Tony   [Jul 07, 2002]
Strength:

Compact, light weightworks on presta and schraeder valves(supposedly), can be easily taken apart to clean/repair

weak plastic and rubber parts inside

Don't bother setting it up for presta valves, it just wont work and you'll be pushing your bike home. I did get about 3 uses out of it for shrader valves, but the rubber grommet in the pump got all cut up and would catch on the valve stem, the plastic pin inside bent to the side, and the plastic push-rod inside wore a groove from the locking mechanism, making it unusable. This pump is good for maybe 2 emergency uses, otherwise its junk.