Blackburn Mammoth Pump

Mammoth

The Mammoth Pump has undergone years of refinement makingThis a reliable pumpThat fills fatTires quickly and painlessly. NewTwistGrip III presta/Schrader head Aluminum barrel Rubberized foldingT-handle Lifetime Warranty Max Pressure: 90 psi / 6.2 bar Barrell Material: Carbon Fiber Published Weight:157 g

bans   [Oct 08, 2013]
Strength:

Very efficient (until it breaks...)

Poor ergonomy.

I've used it maybe 2-3 times and it t broke. The piston moves very hard, it's almost impossible to pump.

Don't buy it!

deb wheeler   [May 07, 2012]
Strength:

Nice and small and smart looking

hard to fasten on

Fed up with other mini pumps I believed these reviews. After 1 wet weekend and a few power washes it became impossible to push. On pressing really hard it broke completely. Does not easily attach to presta valve unless its in your hand. Not happy. Had high hopes but disappointed.

ProjectDan35   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2011]
Strength:

Great quality, pumps great, good handle, lock on valve head, presta/ OR shrader, Looks great, lightweight, afforadable with quality!

NONE!

Bottom line? BUY IT! You won't find a better pump for the price out there. This probably beats more expensive pumps anyways! I paid 17 bucks at pricepoint for it. 17! WOW!

rafjj1976   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2009]
Strength:

High air flow
Durable materials
Ergonomically comfortable

Bit Heavy

I bought this pump because it was recommended at the store one year ago. I thought it was over priced but I needed to buy a pump for that weekend trip.
I love this pump because even though it's not the lightest one like my friends have, it does not drain any ENERGY when I get a flat. It pump really fast, and I get the needed air pressure with 50% less strokes than my buddies. Now they ask for my pump when they need it HAHA.
Easy to switch from regular to presta valves, the handle is very comfortable and has a natural feeling to use all your energy.
I totally recommend it if you are not a weight freak.

Similar Products Used: Top Peak pumps
zahgurim   Racer [Jul 27, 2009]

-Seals
-Blackburn's customer support

Seals cracked and died soon after purchase.
Supposed lifetime warranty on this product, but good luck ever getting anything out of Blackburn. Bad customer support if you ever need it...

Replaced the seals with O-rings scavenged from an old GT pump that had the head break, has been fine since.

3 Chilies for an ok product that needed a bit of help.
1 Chili for lack of customer support when it was needed.

PEDALman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2009]
Strength:

light,ergonomic,easy valve conversion,durable

i just buy this pump but i love it , i see some reviews and say that is the last pump you'll have & i hope that i usully don't need a lot of air but sometimes i get 0psi

Similar Products Used: zefal mini jet
thubeav   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2008]
Strength:

Light and tight and just alright. Doesn't pinch hand with T-handle completely down. Nice. It pushes enough air to reflate 29ers soon enough.
I lost a part for this and called Blackburn and they were able to get me back up and on the trail in no time. How cool is that? I thought I was doomed to discard and buy new. Not even close. Thanks Blackburn.

It's not a floor pump pro but then it would weigh 3kg and stick out like a samurai sword. It could be carbon and have a pressure gauge but then it would be more $$-ing pesos.

This is a great pack pump for big tires. You know you don't have time or patience to carry that little carbon weenie pump or six CO2s.

Similar Products Used: a bunch. too many. all gone. except Blackburn.
aaron98433   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2008]
Strength:

Low profile design works great for mounting on frame
Ability to use on both Presta and Schrader valves
Decent price

Great pump, does the job. The only problem I've had was the handle fell off during a ride after about 3 years; make sure you check that it's tight now and again. I have done absolutely zero maintenance (it rides on the bottom of the frame) and generally ignore it completely and even with massive amounts of mud and pedalling through 2 feet of water it has never failed. Moves a decent amount of air for a hand pump, would recommend to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Floor pumps
Rod Munch   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2007]
Strength:

Unlike many mini pumps, this one can actually be used to pump up tires

Not as much volume as a full size frame pump

My second Mammoth after a nonfunctional Crank Bros. and a few years of CO2 cartridges. First one was great. Blackburn make some of the best pumps, and most importantly head designs that work. Latest version has a cool, red anodized pump shaft and nice alloy thumblock. My Crank BRos. mini pump would never be able to seal on a presta valve, leading to no end of grief. In three months of spring, I easily spent more on CO2 cartridges than the price of a Mammoth Mtn. pump. Now I'm back to this great unit, and headed to Mammoth Mountain next month to celebrate.

Similar Products Used: Crank Brothers aluminum
Simmons   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Clamps on well, puts out a large volume of air, handle feels nice and gives good leverage, fills up my tires with air so I don't have to walk home.

Long, will only fit onto a frame, or a long camel back pocket. Hydrapacks are out of the question.

For the amount I paid for the pump, I could not have asked for better performance. There are no problems with losing air putting it on, or taking it off of a presta valve. I have had 6-7 flats in the past 2 weeks, and this pump gets me going fast. To get a faster fill I'd have to use a floor pump or a CO2. For all of you out there using picepoint, stay away from the blackburn tube deal. It sounds great, but those tubes are terrible in rocky So-Cal conditions. I have gotten 5 through and through pinch flats in my last two rides, and I have tried everything short of walking to prevent them.

At any rate, buy this pump. Its cheap, but it works better than anything else I have tried.