Blackburn Air Tower 4 Pump

Blackburn Air Tower 4 Pump

The *New* Air Tower 4 blends heavy duty performance with reliability.

[Jun 25, 2013]
colin1

Strength:

Provides plenty of pre-ride frustration
Helps user develop problem-solving skills

Pump head
Gauge
Seals

I'm on my third, warrantied Air Tower 4. The first one was never able to pump up new presta tubes from full deflation, so I'd have to start them with a hand pump. Eventually, the seals stopped working in this one, so I got a new on on warranty.
My second pump worked well for about a week until one of the pieces in the head broke, so it could not seal, and if clamped on a tube, would allow all the air in the tube to rush out.
My third pump can't derpess all schrader valves, so on some of them, I have to partially engaged the clamp lever and then push the head down on the valve for it to depress the valve. It's also pretty finicky about some presta valves.
The other day I realized that I could warranty this pump again, but why would I want to get another one that would probably, based on my ownership history, just cause more pre-ride frustration?
I've started checking chainlove for a different manufacturer in hopes of less frustration.
On a side note, why did the designer angle the gauge face so that a user has to be standing well behind the pump in order to have a perpendicular line of sight to the gauge face? If the user stands directly above the pump, which is the normal position for pushing down on the handle, the line of sight is not perpendicular, so gauge readings are slightly inaccurate.

[Sep 05, 2012]
sam adams

Strength:

works well when it works

doesn't work at all when not working well

had this pump for a couple of years. maybe used it 25 - 30 times and then complete failure in the pump chamber itself. all connections tight but air blows out before the hose somewhere.... appears to blow back past the plunger ball. would have been cheaper to feed quarters to the pump at the gas station. Would not recommend.

[Mar 26, 2012]
Hawkdriver
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Dual head, large volume, easy to see guage, sturdy design, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE from BELL-Easton!!

Inside the valve head, there is a ball that sometimes sticks to the side opposite where you need it. A gentle tap releases it and you're back to pumping up a tire.

Been using this pump for years and been very pleased. I had a leak appear recently and contacted Bell about replacement gaskets. They immediately sent me a new gauge and o-ring kit. Unfortunately, the o-ring kit didn't arrive (out of stock) and when I checked into it, the service rep decided to send me a whole new pump! I never asked for anything but information about how to PURCHASE repair parts. Instead, they were all offered free of charge immediately. Bottom line: I think the pump fits me needs perfectly and now see I also get awesome customer service with it! 5 chilli's for value because of cost, customer service, and performance. 4 chilli's for overall because the little issue with the valve has been there for a little while and was frustrating at first.

[Dec 17, 2011]
olegbabich

Strength:

used about 2 dozen times, now it's dead

everything

Stay away.

joe blow

[Sep 16, 2011]
dirtyjack

Strength:

Its was a free replacement for a previously failed blackburn pump

This one failed too. Started blowing air out of the top of the pump, then the handle broke off.

Blackburn makes crappy products that don't last

[May 27, 2011]
Michael L

Strength:

This pump was a warranty replacement for my 12 year old TP4 that went bad. One phone call,immediate live knowledgeable English speaker, no hassle replacement shipped out asap.I called them back today with a technical question and again great fast service.This pump works great and after a few trys you will get used to how things work unless you are a moron.The bit of air that escapes from the valve head after you release comes from reserve within the pump not from your tube otherwise your tube would empty out.So pump it up to the regular lbs and pull it.Maybe 1 or 2 of the previous reviewers got a lemon but the rest of the whiners wouldn't understand how to operate a paper clip!

Release handle after inflation can bust a knuckle if done wrong but you can learn.

Great pump and extraordinarily excellant warranty and customer service.

TP4

[May 02, 2011]
David Strachan

Strength:

Good volume. Works well on older style valves.

Unusable for pumping up 700 series racing tires. It doesn't grip the valve

The product cannot be used on the bike I bought it for.

[Mar 27, 2011]
amfast

Strength:

Cheap. Failed twice in a year.

I'll never buy a Backburn product again. Was broken within a week. Got a replacement head after waiting for weeks and now a year later (light use) it doens't pump at all.

Specialized, Topeak Joe Blow

[Oct 09, 2010]
jonasneeser

Strength:

Easy to read, accurate gauge. Valve head connects easily.

Does not produce enough volume to easily seat tubeless tires. Valve head hard to figure out how to connect to shrader versus presta valves (the lever has three positions).

I haven't had any problems with my pump. I would buy it again. I bought it five years ago and the head never connected to the valve very well. Blackburn has a lifetime warranty so last year I sent it back. They sent me this new one that works great so I am very happy with Blackburn.

Earlier version of the Air Tower 4.

[Jul 02, 2010]
greenmtn

Strength:

Lifetime warranty, you'll need it

Total junk, head leaks, plunger wears quick, but the head is the worst, most frustrating piece of crap out there!

total waste of $ unless you enjoy returning things