PowerBar Powergel Nutrition

Powergel

PowerGel is high-octane, super-charged fuelTo blast youThrough "the wall". Its easyTo dispense, consume, and digest, and provides 28 grams of simple and complex carbs for energy. Each pack offers 110 calories.Theyre perfect for use on long rides, endurance races, or just as a pick-me-up inThe afternoon.

deeninetysix   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2010]
Strength:

- Yumlicious
- Cheap ($2.97 AUD)
- Great Boost

- Need 2x Caffiene Flavours Other Than Choc Or Vanilla :(

Boost kicks in fast, sweet, great to pour into small bottle then mix with water, then chugalug! It's the gooey stuff in the GEL BLASTS, but theres a lot. so imagine if one pouch of GEL BLASTS gets you 20 mins of energy, and theres 1/10 powergel pack in every pouch, then HOLY SHADOODLIN!!

Similar Products Used: None.
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

-They work.
-Very portable
-Edible in all temp. ranges

-First few times with these things is harsh. (see below)
-Needs water

Tried this for the first time with my dad on an 18mi. ride around Pittsburgh (road). I bonked after about 12-15 miles, and he had the cure.

I had the Caffinated Strawberry Banana. Aside from the fact that I hate that flavor combination in every other food product, it wasn't too awful. He described them as 'eating snot,' but it's thicker than that, and overwhelming in how cloying it can get. Ease into these things; you should be sucking the first few down without tasting them, and chase with a lot of water.

On the positive side, these things are like crystal meth. About a half-mile down the trail, the pain went away, and I just took off. The energy boost was perfect: came on smooth, not jittery or edgy. Now, problem is, you'll need another one a little farther down the road...

The consistancy and taste are something you have to get used to, but for a first-timer, it sucked. Other'n that, great product.

Similar Products Used: None
John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2007]
Strength:

A good variety of flavours, A good boost of energy, Not overly sweet in flavour, Easy to digest, No need to chew.

Needs a few swigs of water to get the flavour out of your mouth, Energy comes on soon and not a sustained energy boost, You need to consume the whole packet as you can't re-seal it after you open it.

This gel is better then a bar when it comes to ease of digestion. Still requires a few swigs of water like that of bars to clear your mouth. A good boost of energy, but not sustained energy. The ability to re-seal the packet would be ideal. I prefer to consume a 1/2 packet at a time for a better level of sustained energy on 100-120km long rides.
Bottom Line: Wow, a gel not a bar! Fast to digest, but no re-sealable.

Similar Products Used: No other gels - only bars such as Powerbar, Powerbar Harvest, Clif Bar, Herbalife Energy Bar & Met-RX.
Don   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2001]

Holy Mackerel, I picked up a couple of these in the Tangerine flavor because of the "Double Caffeine" thought that would add even more of a boost, who was I foolin'. My freind and I stopped along the trail and I gave him one and opened on for myself... between the laughter and the need to spew I'm not sure what incapacitated us more!! As my friend Jimmy put "this tastes like ass!" I'm not sure how he knows this, but believe him and AVOID THE TANGERINE!!!

Alas, I have a couple of these in Vanilla but am to gun shy to try 'em. They might be better but I may never know.

Patty   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2001]
Strength:

The gold package, its pretty

This tastes like someone pinned me to the ground, forced my mouth open and took a dump in it.

This stuff was so sick I almost fell off of my bike.

Similar Products Used: I hope for anything holy there is not another product out there like this
MTBMADNESS   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2002]
Strength:

Great burst of energy and it taste good with lots of water. Easy to digest and can be easily carried in your cargo shorts.

The only weakness I can pin point is the price. Great source of energy but you pay the price..

Taste great!
Great energy booster!
Easy to carry!
Your stomach will thank you!

Similar Products Used: Gu gel
Joe   Racer [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

+Very easily eaten while riding
+Decent taste once you get used to it
+Cheap
+Low in sugar, high in carbs

-If you put the used packet in a jersey pocket, it dries and turns stiff and a different color. Weird.
-Some flavors are only in caffeine and the rest are no caffeine, it would be nice if you had a choice with each flavor (some people might like tropical fruit but want caffeine, etc)
-Doesn't provide the protein that most energy bars do
-Takes a minute to go down all the way, when I eat it it hinders breathing until I can wash it down.

Great product. It doesn't provide everything an energy bar will, but I can choke it down when I'm nervous about a race unlike a bar. It seems to get caught in my throat, but drinking alot of water helps. It is fat free and low in calories, and it doesn't have much sugar. I haven't tried Gu yet so I'm not going to give this a full rating. 5 value rating because it costs the same as or less than any other gel I've seen.

Joe/Radar

Similar Products Used: Just bought Gu but haven't used it yet, various energy bars (Clif, Luna, Powerbar, Balance, Met-Rx)
Scott Bays   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

Handy, does what it says

some flavors are hard to take

I think this stuff has its use in the right situations...like between laps, or at the start of a ride if already somewhat tired. The Tangerine is great as is the bananna/strawberry.

Similar Products Used: Cliff shot
Mike Reid   Racer [Mar 22, 2001]
Strength:

Just amazing power when combined with the right hydration. Contrary to what another person from WA said, I think the Tangerine rocks :) I keep a few in the cubbyhole on my dashboard to warm them to the right consistency

foil tears at corners of mouth, sometimes hard to get gel out when focusing on breathing etc

I race inline skates, doing 10k and 26 mile events. I train about 100 miles a week and 25 of those miles are some of the hilliest terrain imaginable down in pt defiance park in Tacoma WA. After being primarily a drink fan, especially Revenge and Prolyte, I decided to try gels and went for the PowerGel first.

Here's an idea what happened once last summer when training and after having had a Powergel: I was coming back on a ten mile section of our training route, amongst a pack of other skaters. I had just finished the gel and was hydrating using my camelpack. Along comes two friends on Litespeed racing bikes and i go after them accompanied by two other skaters. According to tbe bikes, we are going about 20mph. My two friends drop off but i keep with the bikes and we are talking about life,work etc. Well it wasnt long before they dropped off and i took off again, catching up to another cyclist so fast i almost ended up on her rear tire. I left her and two more bikes and basically arrived at the end of our training route about ten minutes before any of the rest of the team, who arrived with gaping mouths wondering wtf happened to me and what i had been eating. Powergel is awesome

If this sounds like bragging...whatever...its what happens when you train hard and happen upon a great maltodextrin energy source aka powergel. I wont say these results are typical, and anyone seriously into their sport knows that it takes time to get to know your body and how your metabolism works and how to feed it exactly what it needs when it needs it.