Gu Energy Gel Nutrition

Energy Gel

GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel is a re-engineered formulation of the GU you already know and love. It's made for the extreme needs of elite athletes. How is it different Roctane is GU, plus or minus some key ingredients. It packs the same calorie punch as GU and features their blend of complex and simple carbs for steady power production, electrolytes for proper water balance, and caffeine to tap into late-race muscle reserves. It lacks the vitamins C and E. Instead, what you'll get from Roctane is added amino acids to slow lactic acid production, serve as fuel, aid recovery from hard efforts, and mitigate fuzzy-headed weariness. Also, the addition of OKG, an amino acid complex that mitigates catabolic effects that break down muscle tissue, helps to minimize fatigue and muscle damage during repeated days of hard efforts. GU Roctane is available in Blueberry Pomegranate, Cherry Lime, Pineapple, and Vanilla Orange. Sold in a box with 24 individual packets.

Crystal   [Jul 20, 2013]
Strength:

Good packaging, taste is not bad at all (vanilla is all that I use), decent price

Hard to swallow during training, can be a little overly sweet during training

I decided that I would give the vanilla flavored gel a try and found it to not be bad tasting at all. I found that it was rather pleasant tasting, and the packaging was very good. I could place it in my shorts pocket, go for a run, and not have to worry about it exploding or leaking at all, and another plus is that it is very easy to open. I bought this product on a whim and found that when I do take it during training, my muscles seem to work at a better pace and they do NOT cramp up afterwards. The downfall to this product is that I did NOT notice a difference in my energy levels. That could simply be just me, but I do not know. Overall, it is a product that I will continue using, but not on a daily basis because I do not feel as though it has shown me enough of a result to be worthy enough for me to dedicate myself to it consistently.

lara whitaker   [Mar 11, 2013]
Strength:

Energy boost and recovery

Thick and sweet-a little hard to swallow during extensive run

I am training for a half marathon and needed something to hydrate on my long runs (kept running out of sports drink in my little carry-along bottle). Tried the lemon sublime and cherry lime on my run this morning (11.73 miles) . While it is kind of hard to swallow when you are exerting yourself, the taste is not as bad as some others have made out-it's kind of like a big spoonful of icing! I immediately noticed a burst of energy,especially with the one that contained caffeine. The biggest thing I noticed is that I have no muscle cramping in my legs whatsoever-whereas before I could barely walk for 2days after a long run! If it wasn't for my old lady knee bothering me, I would feel like I could go do another run tonight! This stuff is definitely worth the money and I will definitely use it again!

damagr   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2011]
Strength:

Taste, energy, variety

This stuff is great. I can't believe all the negative reviews posted... must be some kind of conspiracy.
Gu is never pasty, goes down easy, never upsets my tummy, and has lots of great flavors (Vanilla, Jet Blackberry, Blueberry-Pomegranite, etc). It is a bit expensive full price, but look for sales and stock up when the price is right. Roctane also rules for racing or really long rides.

Similar Products Used: Clif shots, Power Gel, Hammer gel, etc.
Frank Hogan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2011]
Strength:

energy

price, package

I won't use those foil packages anymore. Do people still buy em, You'd think this fabulous economy and job market would have finally changed our wasteful western habits. the best carb gel for cross country is max energy, hard to find though, got some in palo alto and fairbanks, for the readers try http://www.endurancemaxenergy.com

Similar Products Used: accelerade, power gel, hammer gel, cytomax,power surge, enervite, amino vital,
kzeiszler   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

tastes horrible, didn't notice any more energy

save your money get a cliff bar

Similar Products Used: Cliff bars
SenorSerioso   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2011]
Strength:

Works kinda

Works kinda

Benefit does not exceed flavor compromise. Chocolate Outrage and the Coffee flavor were the only ones I could stomach. I felt so terrible after consuming the others. It took me 30 minutes to get the nasty taste out of my mouth.

Similar Products Used: Roctane, Accelerade
maxwilson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2011]
Strength:

it's carbs in an emergency

price, packaging and sugar.

why do all those endurance nutrition companies practice the mantra of muscle head sport nutrition marketing? Magic supplemental nutrients! There's no magic in any of them and then they add sugar to hide the nasty taste of the so-called magic. And, I won't handle those foil packages. I keep going back to endurance max energy gel. Clean maltodextrin carbs, no sugar and packaging that makes sense. I use it in racing 3 - 24 hours and it always works.

Similar Products Used: power gel, max energy, enervitene, cytomax, gatorade, clif, accelerade, hammer gel, heed
cross country runner   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2010]
Strength:

deffinitely gives you energy

not easy to digest- the last two times i have raced with it I have collapsed on the course and vomited 7+ times. It might just be me. But I gag trying to get it down, its so disgusting

tastes awful, can cause vomiting, more of a placebo than actually working. DONT BOTHER.