CytoSport Energy Drink Nutrition

Beat the burn of lactic acid build-up with the buffering ingredient in Cytomax, Alpha-L-Polylactate. This key ingredient provides a clean-burning fuel source to working muscles while reducing the buildup of lactic acid.

Wayne Holler   [Aug 16, 2012]
Strength:

Pleasant fruit flavor, comes in a read-to-drink bottle, really delivers what it said it would!

Absolutely none

I am training for an untra race next near snd thought I'd try Citomax. Downed a bottle before and one during the run and forgot about it. I find that this stuff really works! After my 2.5 hour run, I came home, showered and thought I'd sit down and watch some TV. Ordinarilly everyone knows what happens next, yep, you have a mild case of the "freezes" until you move arond some.
Not so this time, fond myself walking around normally without any lactic acid to bother me!
Great Stuff! Highly recommend it! Guess everyone has diferent experiences with it.

crazyjeys   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2011]
Strength:

Quenches thirst. Gives a boost of power and maintains energy. lessens the tendencies of cramping.

none at the moment

works great for me! no upset stomach like the ones that posted before. got it on sale at performance bicycles. tried it on from sea otter and liked it from then. i would recommend this product to others out there looking for an energy drink for weekend warriors like me.

Similar Products Used: gatorade
Austin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2009]
Strength:

Energy Boosts that last a while

The worst stomach problems if you catch my drift

Use black Powder instead

Similar Products Used: Black Powder. A million times better. try the blue raspberry it works better and you don't have to use a million rolls of toilet paper
Goldstar78i   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2009]
Strength:

Tastes good
does indeed help on longer/harder rides (maybe psychological but I don't care)

cost

I haven't ever used this product during mountain rides (I usually just tough those out and don't drink or eat much) but I have used this stuff on 80 and 100 mile road rides. Let me say this: whether the percieved energy is a placebo or not, this stuff tastes so good I honestly cannot wait to drink it. I carried about 2-3 packets of it on my century ride, and it was the only thing easily stomachable with a 18.4 mph 2 person average in the hills of the berkshires. The citrus flavors are the best. Just buy a can of it and thank me later, but be friends with the LBS cause it costs a bundle.

Similar Products Used: Gu, Gatorade, accelerade
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2003]
Strength:

Keeps me from getting side cramps on long ridses. Higher sustained level of energy

take a bottle full of cytomax & leave water in our camelbak. It can get sticky and hard to clean in a water bag.

When my best friend and I fly into Moab and rode two days in Arches, this stuff was the only supplement to keep my thighs from burning and my stomach from cramping. Riding at that elevation and heat is a true challenge. I don;t think i would have done near as well without cytomax in my bottles.

PS. I haven't tried their gels. Email if anyone has.

Marc   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

Great flavor,and goes down smooth.

Stomach problems. Too much sugar or something.

At first I was sold on this stuff. The flavor made it easier to drink, and I foolishly thought that the added carbs would help me ride harder/longer. This might be true for some, but for me it only made my stomch turn. To be fair I have stomach problems to begin with but this stuff made me nauseated. I was begining to think that i needed to change my eating time before riding 'till i figured out that the cytomax was causing my problems.

Similar Products Used: GU02,gatorade,water
John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2007]

UPDATE for my review dated 8/6/2005 - The Green tin is Tropical Fruit flavour & the Pink tin is Pink Lemonade flavour (tastes like bubble gum to me). They were in stock at Healthy's in both the 1.5lb & 4.5lb sizes till the end of 2005. By April 2006 when I went back hoping to find 1 or 2 (4.5lb) tins in the Purple Go Grape flavour I was told that it's no longer manufactured under that brand name and that they don't carry it. I've since opted to go with using Gatorade Fierce Grape liquid 950mL (using a 1/2 bottles worth + water) or 1.9L (using a 1/4 bottles worth + water).
Bottom Line: I now use Gatorade (Fierce Grape) filled water bottles and drinking water from public parks while saving me $46-$92/year.

Similar Products Used: Gatorade Powder, Gatorade Liquid, Red Bull, Horse Power.
kb   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

-Tastes Good (Tried Tropical Punch)
-Works as good as Gatorade

-Works as good as Gatorade - for the price I expected better
-Expensive price for unspectacular performance
-Causes bloating - not a good thing
-Takes longer to digest - I pee more of this stuff out than I do with gatorade.
-Much harder to mix than Gatorade. You need to mix the powder with hot water to make sure it dissolves. Then you add cold water and ice.

Its pricey, takes awhile to mix with water, causes bloating, doesn't work any better than Gatorade, takes longer to digest (you pee most of it out).

The cons simply outweigh the pros, which at this point are only the good taste.

Similar Products Used: Gatorade, Water
Andrew Kalter   Racer [Jan 24, 2002]
Strength:

God taste, mixes easily, good digestion.

No protein

I mix Cytomax with in a 2:1 ration with Endurox to up the protein and vitamins. That mixture was working great for me way before everyone started hypeing protein fortified sports drinks like Accelerade. I originally tried the mix because I wasn't crazy about the taste of the endurox.
Sometimes I carry a water bottle of a strong mix and a camelback of water. Taht works well and I can be lazy and not clean the camelback. If I put it in a camelback I premix the solution and put the empty bladder in the freezer afterwards to prevent growth.

Similar Products Used: gatorade, endurox
FritzMan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2001]
Strength:

After a little bit of experience with it, this stuff works! Noticable consistency in breathing and energy reserves. May even help recoveries.

For me, this stuff needs to be diluted at least 50% of the manufacturers suggestion. Need to mix the stuff and refriderate it at least 12 hours prior to consumptions. Some stomach gas (burping) and aching if too strong. Not a 100% cramp-proof nutrion (can anything be?).

I use it mostly for enduros (or lenghty high effort training rides), so I'll end up consuming 2 liters at a time. That ends up being a lot of Cytomax at one seating, hence I dilute it. On a recent enduro, I felt a little stoch ache as well, which I've read some other users have experienced (will dilute even more). Has to be refridgerated before use (needs to be a little transparent) instead of the freshly mixed (which is much more opaque). No doubt that it can be gasy. Try shaking it in a thermos and then open it, you'll see some kind of reaction which releases gas (carbon?). I usually mix the night before, then shake the hell out of it for a couple of minutes before consumption. I've had leg cramps during enduros while using this stuff, will try and supplement with anti-cramp pills (Endurox?). Overall, this is good stuff and will definitely give you the edge over a water-only competitor. 3 Chilis in value becuase it's fairly expensive.

Similar Products Used: Gatorade - too sweep and sticky in the mouth. Water - good for hydration only.