White Lightning Raceday Lube

Raceday

The ultra performance lubricant for "A day at the races".

John   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Very clean, easy to apply, easy to remove.

Very volatile petroleum distillate solvent base - don't leave this stuff in your trunk on a hot day.

First of all, anyone with any experience realizes that chains need to be lubricated EVERY RIDE to maximize shifting response and smoothness. The benefit of this lube is that it's durable over many miles of dirty riding, doesn't attract much debris, and is easily removed with soap and water. If you can't readily remove your chain, you need to get a Wipperman Connex or SRAM chain (Wipperman is much easier) so that you can soak your chain in solvent or soap and water to toally clean it. An added benefit is that your chain stays "clean" with this lube - no more black sh*t on your right leg.

Similar Products Used: Everything from motor oil to WD40 and numerous bike specific lubes.
Ryan Roach   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Well it's cheap, and... and... and... uh I think thats it, wait did I say it was cheap oh yeah I did I forgot while I was thinking or a strength for this stuff.

It's a wax lube need I say more, The bottle is a pain and it clogs ALL THE TIME EVERY TIME I USED IT, it made a big mess out of my drive train and after using a toothbrush and some Finishline Ecotech and a chain cleaner I got this junk off, made my drive train sound like some one was eating cornflakes in it you know the sound if you've used this stuff CRUNCH...SQUEAK...CRUNCH...SQUEAK, and to top it all off it atracks dirt and you have to have a clean dry dive train to apply this junk I think thats it for ths column!

I HATE WAX LUBES AND WILL NEVER TRY IT AGAIN!!! This stuff is junk all the people who told me they use wax and love it is crazy. This crap made a waxy mess out of my drivetrain and cost me about an entire bottle of Ecotech just to get it off! It atracted dirt worse than an oil based lube in dry conditions and then they tell you you have to have a clean drive train to apply this stuff. Who's the retard who invented this stuff he must have spent more time cleaning his bike than riding it Damn. Yes I followed the instructions I cleaned my drivetrain and then apllied it and allowed it to dry (overnight) before using the bike. Thank god someone invented Rock N Roll lube for wet conditions because if they didn't I'd have to use oil based lubes again during the rainy season here. As for wax lubes the next time I want wax I'll buy a candle and drip some of that in my drivetrain instead of this crap. I'll give it two chil's for value due to it's cheap (it's only stength) but this stuff is some of the worst excuse for a lube I've seen so far. I've used Finishline dry teflon for more than three years and if wasn't for the fact that it doesn't work well in wet conditions I would never had the displeasure of trying this hot flaming piece of garbage, Wet lube my a$$ PEACE!

Similar Products Used: Finishline Dry Teflon lube, Rock N Roll Extreme, 3 in 1 Houshold oil
Gwidon   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2007]
Strength:

It is clean

Hmm... Doesn't work AT ALL?

When it's cold, you can't apply it because it doesn't lube the chainlinks and cloggs up the nozzle of the bottle. When it's warmed up, it spurts all over the place and is hard to clean off from everywhere except where it's supposed to stay. And yes - I did follow the instructions - everything was thoroughly degreased, and I mean THOROUGHLY (I spent a few hours making sure everything was clean). There was not a grain of dirt in the chain either. Still, the lube lasts about 30 minutes - can't say for sure because it takes me 40 minutes to get to work and it's already gone when I get there. Even when I reapply after every single ride, after a week the whole chain (and I mean EVERY SINGLE BLOODY CHAINLINK) is rusty, and so are the cogs. The only place where it actually stays put is between the cogs. But it doesn't seem to prevent rust anyway. The whole bottle of this junk lasted 2 weeks. There is no way I'm buying another one - I want my bike to last a little longer.

Similar Products Used: FL cross country
Bikerdom   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2005]
Strength:

Great winter lube. Clean.

Needs to be kept warm(indoors) or won't mix properly.

Great winter bike lube if properly applied. Must be kept shaken and warm or clotting will occur at nozzle tip while applying. My bikes and lubes are serviced & stored in heated indoors so this isn't really an issue to this user.
I ride all winter in New England and this lube has served me well. It's a little thin for my taste in the summer so I use Pedro's. I don't have shifting or excessive wear issues when using Race Day and my drive train stays clean of ice ups and rust.
It's October 25th and we just had our first ice storm so it's time to break out the Race Day. Soon the Nokian studded tyres.

Similar Products Used: Pedro's Ice wax(summer use)& extra dry, Finish Line teflon plus, TriFlo, many others over the years.
mark wilson   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2003]
Strength:

CLEAN!and keeps chain clean and lubed for maximum performance. If directions are followed this works well in most conditions.

Temperature sensitive. Can cause build up on chain rings and cogs.

I agree with the previous posting that chain lube pretty much needs to be applied everytime you ride unless you use the wetlubes and then everything is filthy from the crud they collect. This runs clean and shifts smooth if you clean off the excess. In colder weathe it congeals and doesn't work well so I switch in the winter. It's a great all around lube except in colder weather.

Similar Products Used: pedros, kryotech, tri flow, phil tenacions,
Tom M   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

lubes OK, keeps chain clean, lasts for one 20 mile ride in favorable conditions.

1) poor nozzle because it clogs
2) not too good in severe dust or mud

1)Ream the nozzle open a bit with a nail or drill
2)shake, dribble on chain
3)when it clogs, point up (away from your face) and clear nozzle with a good squeeze
4)shake, dribble on chain, repeat

Similar Products Used: ice wax, tri flow, finish line wet
Don   cross-country rider [Sep 17, 1998]

I loved the original White Lightning and then switched to Race day because it was supposed to last longer. Well, it may do that but my chain is constantly black and gunky. Rookie marks galore on my leg, sock and shoe. I think I will go back to regular White Lightning just for the way it keeps everything looking like new, including my leg. I don't mind applying it after every ride if it keeps me from having a big black mess. I like cleane white wax flakes much better than black greasy ones.

hardtailer   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2001]
Strength:

goes on smooth, keeps my drivetrain smooth

none, that's why I use it.

It's great for taking with you and aplying before the race (hence the name race day). It goes on and stays on so smooth.

Darrell   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2001]
Strength:

the bottle does not let the lube come out

the bttom line is that white lightning race day is the wrost lube you could buy

micki   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2000]
Strength:

Keeps the chain, cogs, and rings looking clean!

Components became noisy, you have to unclog the nozzle a lot.

I commute and ride for fun in Seattle and put a lot of miles on my drivetrain so I put Raceday on both of my bikes hoping to reduce some of the time I spent cleaning chains and cogs. It does keep the chain really clean and looking new which I liked, especially on the road bike. However, after a few rides the drive train of the Univega became so noisy it irritated me, so I went back to a wet lube. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to clean the chain more often and it's not going to look as pretty. Oddly enough, I still have the stuff on the Mesa where so far it has not exhibited the same kind of noisiness. Be careful
not to make the opening in the nozzle too large while trying to unclog it because then the stuff will come out too fast.