Simple Green Bike Cleaner Degreaser Lube

Bike Cleaner Degreaser

Simple Green Foaming degreaserSHIPPING RESTRICTIONThis item is classified “ORM-D” and cannot be shipped via air. It can only be shipped via ground shipping methods. If you addThis itemTo your cart,The list of available shipping methods will be reduced. For more variety of shipping options, consider removingThis item from your cart (or placing a separate order using a ground shipping method.)

itsmoot   Weekend Warrior [Nov 13, 2008]
Strength:

doesn't work as advertised and isn't as "enviromentally friendly" as reported

After reading the glowing reviews here and on other websites, I tried some of of the concentrate sold in 1-gallon jugs at the hardware store. I used it undilluted in a plastic tub to degrease, or rather attempt to degrease, a suspension seatpost. Well I tried rubbing it out, and soaking it out, and I still had "not working worth a damn". So I used my good old standby Dawn dishwashing detergent and hot water. Presto, seatpost is now degreased and ready for some Rock N' Roll Super Slick Lube. Simple Green, Simple Schmeen. Luckily I kept the receipt and can return the remainder of this foul-smelling and utterly useless green crap to Lowes.

Whilst googling around using "Simple Green" and "not worth sh*t", I happened to find some interesting data on it at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/5783540.html:

"Simple Green all-purpose cleaner uses the word "green" on its label. It says it is nontoxic but a warning in small print on the back advises consumers to use the product in well-ventilated areas and not to dispose of it into or near storm drains, oceans, lakes or streams. The company Web site states that Simple Green is tested on animals and includes undiluted-2 butoxyethanol, a chemical with established exposure limits."

So I guess Simple Green earned its "environmentally friendly" reputation by the fact it doesn't kill you instantly or cause the sun to explode. Otherwise I don't see how it happened, unless its just another case of sheep repeating what they've been told.

Similar Products Used: 409, Dawn
Matt Fulks   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2003]
Strength:

Spray it on the bike, hose it off. Bike is now clean.

Smells like a cheap taxi cab pine air freshener.

When your bike gets dirty, spray this stuff all over, let it sit a few seconds, and hose it off. Works great! The only drawback is that god awful smell! It's the same stuff a lot of janitors clean bathrooms with. It works great for cleaning bugs off your car too!

Similar Products Used: Bike cleaners
Chris   [Jul 12, 2007]
Strength:

amazing cleaning power

Amazing at cleaning just about anything. I work at a bike shop and we use it for almost everything. It works great for cleaning parts, just about anything off of a frame, knives, tools, etc. The only time we use anything else is speed degreaser for discs and citrus degreaser for really bad stuff (however it leaves an oily residue). I strongly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great general purpose cleaner. Oh, and rumor has it that it's what the Marines use to clean their rifles.

Similar Products Used: citrus degreaser, speed degreaser
Steve   [Dec 01, 2001]

This stuff rocks. Just used it on my drivertrain for the first time. Other stuff I have used has never gotten it that clean (I use wet lubes, so my chain gets pretty dirty). Looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Plus you can get a gallon for 7 bucks as opposed to a small amount of the stuff you can buy at bike shops that doesn't work.

Similar Products Used: Pedros's Degreaser
BEN   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

I really liked the sassafrass smell

The product didn't seem to work well in my finish line chain cleaner to clean off chain gunk. I've had much better results with Castrol Super Clean, which is cheaper, about 5 dollars a gallon compared to 8 for simple green.

For the money I like Castrol Super Clean. Instead of having to let the simple green soak for extended periods of time the Super Clean works almost instantly. But if you are into unique pleasant smelling cleaners and have plenty of time the simple green does eventually work.

Similar Products Used: Castrol Super Clean, Finish Line Degreaser
Rudy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

it's non-toxic, biodegradable, great coverage.

that they haven't made it into a KEG.

it's been the best degreaser i've used. the foam helps you really wet and brush most of the components (especially the chain, deraillers, etc.). AND it's biodegradable. i think maybe an orange cleaner may be better, but you risk degreasing things you may not really want to degrease.

Similar Products Used: Pedro's Degreaser-not as good, unfortunatly.
James   [May 25, 2001]
Strength:

This stuff is excellent. Made both of my bikes look like new.

None, unless you paid $10.00 for it at a bike shop.

I'm using Simple Green spray foaming degreaser. I haven't cleaned my Trek 800 Sport in 6 months and this stuff removed even most caked on gunk. But I do have one warning. Do not buy Simple Green from your bike shop. You can buy the spray can of foaming degreaser at local auto parts store for about $3.00. If there's a difference between the can sold for $10.00 at bike stores and the can sold for $3.00 at auto parts stores, I can't find it. If you want to buy the $10.00 can just because it says bike on it, be my guest and waste your money. Five chilis for the quality of the product but, three chilis overall for trying to charge me so much at the bike shop.

Similar Products Used: Performance Bike Clean-Safe concentrate which is totally useless.
alex m.   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2000]
Strength:

The stuff is cheap, cuts most everything easy, nontoxic, easy to get. it's just good stuff.

"Just buy it, stupid!"
It seriously works great, cheap, etc. I have never had a problem with it removing even the toughest chain buildup. For guynked-up components, I simply soak 'em for a night. takes the crap off without harming vital parts, leaves 'em smelling like pine trees (ha ha ha).
My usual way is to keep a diluted (with water! even better!) version of it in a little bin, along with some old toothbrushes. I use those to scrub most things. For a stronger solution, add more simple green, and for bad stuff, jsut spray it right out of the bottle. Never had a problem with it corroding rubber, plastic, or binding things. It washes away with water easily and evaporates fairly quick.
It's non-toxic, so it won't make you high.