Pedros Synlube Lube

Pedros Synlube Lube

ATB: High detergent polymers are added to break down dirt, reducing friction. USA. Water resistant. Road: A lighter version of Synlube that penetrates the chain, providing smoother and superior shifting

[Jun 21, 2015]
Poidah

Strength:

Durability
Rain resistance
Low friction

Requires a bit of work to get working

I've used this product on and of since 1997 on both road and mountain bikes. This is a great product but it is not a "set and forget" formula like Progold or Rock & Roll gold. With Progold and similar products whatever condition your chain is in, you lather the stuff on, wipe it off and you will end up with a reasonably clean, reasonably well lubricated chain. Downside of those products is that the stuff washes off easily and lubrication does not last very long.

Pedros Syn Lube is a different kind of product. Unlike aforementioned products, it does not clean your chain upon application. That means you have to start with an absolutely spotlessly clean and dry chain. Apply Syn Lybe. Let it sit for a while so that it can penetrate the gaps between your chain plates. Then wipe it off. You really want to wipe all of the product off the chain. A chain lubricant does no good where you can see it. It only serves to attract dirt when it's on the outside of your chain. It only lubricates in spots where you cannot see it (i.e. between the plates). Using this procedure will give you a beautifully lubricated chain with very low friction (confirmed by independent tests). The lubrication will last a long time in all weather conditions.

To sum up - It all depends what you're after. If you want a lube for which the initial application process is fast but needs frequent re-application then go with Progold and the like. If you want a product which takes a bit of time to set-up but will then reward with long lasting performance no matter the environment then Syn Lube is what you're after.

[Jun 28, 2007]
Peter

Strength:

Nice Color. Slightly viscous. Definitely for wet conditions. Would image its good in a place like Seattle or Vancouver or Bergen, Norway. Useless for any dry/dusty ride conditions.

Usless if your on a dry dusty trail. Messy. Leaky bottle.

Tried to just wipe the chain down to get this sludge off.

NO WAY...!! What a mess...off with the chain, off with cassette, and also had to wash the wheel/tire down twice...(hahaha)...silly me!

Value rated at 1 because its way too hard to clean up after. I am sticking with another lube that starts with a "P"...

Tons..

[Jan 23, 2006]
Ben 6600

Strength:

Might use it to stop doors squeaking

Crap magnet

I thought I would give this stuff a go as a winter lube for the wet / muddy conditions we have in the UK. I had been using Rock & Roll Extreme (superb lube) during the summer and just thought a change to a winter lube would be a good idea. However this stuff really does attract mud & grime, so much so in fact that both my bike and my girlfriend's immediately started to suffer from chain suck problems (not a good idea when you have carbon fibre chain stays).

I see the last review for this product was in 2004. I can't remember if 9 speed cassettes were around then so I don't know if this problem is unique to 9sp bikes, but we both started getting chain suck after only a few miles on road. It also gets all over the place and forms a thick paste on jockey wheels and chain rings.

On the plus side it's relatively easy to remove. After a thorough de-Pedro we are back to Rock & Roll (Gold this time). Chain suck problems are gone.

Rock & Roll

[Jun 01, 2007]
Ethan Dull

Strength:

Good in wet conditions.

Not so great(at all) in even slightly dry conditions.

I bought this lube after using whitelighting, and it not lasting. I must say this works great for its intended use, But after riding only to work for a couple of weeks, I have never seen my chain so gunky. Also, my bottle leaked alot- Pedros please design a leak proof bottle

USE IN WET CONDITIONS ONLY

White Lightning, Whitelightnong Epic, Pedros Ice wax

[May 29, 2007]
gabrielle

Strength:

cheap.

"muck magnet" for sure.

I tried Pedro's SynLube because I wasn't happy with the way White Lightning was handling the wet & cold conditions in PDX. What a mistake! This lube has an attraction for dirt comparable to the gravitational field of a small sun. My chain has never been so astoundingly dirty. I'm switching to ProLink.

tri-flow (old skool!), finish line, white lightning,

[Dec 22, 2001]
Tim

Strength:

Penetrates well and sheds water

Crap Magnet

Good lube..never wear chains prematurely. But I have to attest to the fact that this stuff is a vacuum for crud. Even after I haven't lubed for a few rides I'm scraping junk off my pulleys and gears. I just burned through my LX small and middle crank rings after one season. I have to believe that the extra grit this stuff attracts helped wear them faster. I'll be trying some lightning for my next bottle of lube.

Finish line - too thin, washes out.

[Mar 15, 2001]
Will

Strength:

Perfect for extreme conditions, keeps the chain shifting perfectly no matter what the weather does.

you must be careful when applying, make sure you read the directions

When the weather takes a turn for the worst, use this stuff and fear not. I have used SynLube on my chain for races over the past year and I have been rediculously happy with the results.

Remember, this is a lube for extreme conditions (cold, wet, muddy) and racing.

White Lightning, Ice Wax

[Jun 10, 1996]
Carl Ekstrom
racer

While on an assigment is Sweden I ran out of my normal lube (White Lightning). One of the LBS's strongly recommended Pedros Synlube as the best for the local condictions. Well...It might be the best available since WL is not sold in europe. Me? I thought it sucked. Sure it lubes the chain but it attracts and hangs on to dirt like nothing else.

[Jun 03, 1996]
Andreas
weekend warrior

This lube works really well. Shifting is smooth as silk. But it stays wet and picks up dirt. I only use it as an emergency measure when i'm on a long tour and the chain starts to creak.

[May 21, 1998]
David Deak
weekend warrior

The Pedro's dry lube, Compared to the wet lube from Pedro's (and many other wet or dry lubes), the extra dry is a dream lube. It doesn't attract as much dirt as the synlube, and it keeps the chain relatively quiet. But is does have to be applied to the chain before almost ever ride to keep the shifting performance up. The only good thing about the wet lube is that it can last for a couple of rides before you need to reapply...and the synlube attracts dirt like a magnet with iron filings. But recently I upgrade to using the Pedro's Ice wax...and WOW does this lube work. It doesn't attract any dirt what so ever, I have to only apply it to the chain once every 3 or 4 rides, and the chain is constantly shifting well, with the smoothest movement. My chain has never been sop quiet. I never thought I could be impressed my a lube so much. I didn't think there would be much difference...but there is. GET PEDRO'S ICE WAX!!!!! All of the othere lubes are nothing compared to the ICE WAX. Maybe the Finish Line Kritech is comparable to the ICE WAX, but I haven't tried it. Anyway, Pedro's dry Lube is a waste compared to ICE WAX!!!!!