Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube

Dry Teflon

DRY Lube made with Teflon? fluoropolymer. The industry?s original ?dry? lubricant. Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ?paste-like? film so it will not attract or absorb grit and grime. Teflon? fluoropolymer and specialized synth

Rex Plunger   [Oct 11, 2013]
Strength:

Persistent environmental toxin, this stuff will last longer then the cockroaches and will persist through an atomic bomb. When this stuff washes / falls off your chain in the stream or when crossing the log bridge, this stuff will stick to sediment or any other ecocompartment life likes to exist in / on, and stay there, screwing up endocrine systems and hormone balances. Teflon is very bad stuff, never goes away - just like a nice polychloro or fluoroinated flame retardants. S****t!!!, use a degradeabe lube (wax!), and do not be lazy, use it every freakin ride.

Thanks, please. Degradeable is best. 'specially outside.

Martin   Racer [Apr 14, 2013]
Strength:

dry lube, so it doesn't mess up the frame

attracts dirt
when applied the chain already looks dirty (white & greasy, not transparent)

I don't understand the high ratings here... I use it for my road bike, and after first use, it was so noisy I had to relube again and this time NOT clean the excess... second time I cleaned the chain completely, lubed it, and left for 12 hours... after then I cleaned the excess, and it was kind of OK, but after 50 km the train was noisy and dirty again...
This thing is absolutely useless, and I am not even talking about rainy weather (I know this is for sunny days, but I don't live in California).
Not recommended.

Similar Products Used: Classic chain oil
SlickWilly8019   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2012]
Strength:

It lubricates.

Attracts dirt like no ones business, turned my chain asphalt black in 2 rides, frequent reapplication, cost!

I have used dry lubes for years, and this one is by far the worst one of them all. Save your money, buy something that is proven to work and doesn't attract this much dirt or require frequent lubrication.

Similar Products Used: Militec-1 synthetic dry lube.
UNhappy   [Apr 30, 2012]
Strength:

Was a good product before the formulation was changed

Net volume fraud (overpriced) - Lube consistency inconsistent

This lube had been ok, which is the reason I purchased a 32 fl oz jug. As others have commented, the formula is not consistent, Finish Line states "that color variation may occur". I have not analyzed lubrification properties scientifically, but the thick white suspension now sold attracts more dirt. A further "consistency" issue is serious under filling, which is quite simply fraud.

In spite of the statement on the container that the "headroom is not a sign of under filling", the volume raised my suspicion and I did measure the volume at 20°C in a class A graduated glass cylinder in the laboratory. The volume in the cylinder was determined to 840 ml when it was stated as 945 ml. Even if I allow for a 10 ml margin for lubricant remaining in the container or the walls of the cylinder, the jug contained 10% less product as stated. Nice way of increasing margins.

Finish Line has failed to reply about this issue and Amazon.com does not accept returns on "Items that are classified as hazardous materials or use flammable liquids or gases".

photoBear   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2012]
Strength:

smooth
quiet
doesn't pick up much dirt and what does get picked up is removed easily with any cloth or brush
great for dry dusty & sandy conditions
easy to apply
seems to work it's own way in well
doesn't gunk up much at all
nice and thin, seems to create an even layer of lube, no build ups

you might need to re apply regularly, I find myself doing it every 3-5 big rides which is not to often for me
maybe not as good in the wet as water seems to wash it away a bit but that is negligible in my conditions

I find the trails i ride leave both me and my bike filthy with dust, which chewed up my stock chain with factory sticky lube pretty quick so the lbs suggested this and I found it really does as good a job as anything I've used to keep dirt build up to a minimum and what does get picked up is easy to wipe away.

It goes on quite easily working it's way in, it flows well, seems quite thin and evenly coated. As others have mentioned you can touch the chain and it doesn't feel oily just smooth. I find it works best with minimal lube applied.

It seems that when dirt gets on the chain it tends to fall away easily rather than build up but this also seems to take the lube away with it meaning you will have to re apply regularly which I'd rather do than let the chain build up dirt and grinding paste. I find also that there is less cleaning involved when I have to re apply than some other lubes.

Like many products for bikes it comes down to riding style and use as much as anything and I find this product works well in dry dusty conditions more than wet. It's good if you like to regularly clean and lube your chain and it seems to give good protection against wear. The feel is also lovely and smooth to ride.

Similar Products Used: various wax/teflon lubes
dude   Downhiller [Dec 20, 2010]
Strength:

lubes really nice, no bad sounds from your chain anymore, chain stays so clean, i'd lick it instantly....!

couldn't think of one

this stuff is awesome, it penetrates the chain alright, and there's just no dirt on the chain anymore. don't know what the other dudes did wrong, but i guarantee that the chain stays clean(of course u should wipe off the chain afterwards)! i can touch mine with my bare hand and nothing, not even greasy fingers or stuff like that, just freakin awesome!

and thick??? wtf! mine's fluid like water! who knows how old your free samples were....and of course u have to relube more often, it designed for freakin dry conditions, so what the hell do you guys expect???

long story short: BUY IT! I LOVE THAT STUFF! never used a better lube...don't listen to noobs that don't know how to use this stuff...

Ghost   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]

Attracts dirt, and thick.

I ran out of lube day and the only thing I had was a sample bottle of FinishLine. So I gave it try. The first thing I notice is that this stuff is thick. Which kind of worried me because I wasn't sure how much of it would penatrate into the rollers.

After my ride I noticed it did attacted a lot of dirt (almost as much as T9).

The lube worked but I really didn't outshine the my current lube which is Prolink, so I don't think I will be switching soon.

Similar Products Used: Boeshield T9, Ice Wax, Prolink.
Ryan R   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Penatrates well ,Lasts a decent amount of time, it does improve on shifting a little, it keeps thing lubed and quiet as long as it's dry out, it's a dry lube making it a good lube to use when it's dry and dusty out there

Can they put it in a smaller bottle?, Clogs up easy and if you squeeze the bottle to hard it's all over the place, This stuff will wash off if used in wet conditions FAST and I mean Fast your drive train will sound like a rusty corn thresher in about three miles if used in wet muddy conditions and this can't be good for the life of your drivtrain.

I've used this lube on three differnt bikes for about a little more than three years now and it's good not the best but good. I'm not a big fan of wax based lubes like Race Day they tend to make a mess out of your divetrain and you have to clean you drive train every time you have to relube what an annoying thing to have to do. This stuff works like good old oil just drip let it sit and go. It doesn't take that long to dry and it keeps the chain and all your drive train well lubed. My only two grips about it is CAN FINISH LINE GET IT IN A SMALLER BOTTLE AND MAKE JUST A EXPENSIVE! for the price they ask you should get two times the amount! For wet condition I usaually use an oil based lube like 3 in 1 it works well but I was always on the look out for something better and some pinhead at my LBS said to try wax lube and I got suckered into Raceday what a mess the next time I want wax I'll buy a candle. As of late I've been using the Rock N Roll Extreme and it works for both wet and dry I like it alot but haven't used it long enough to not have a bottle of this still in my garage. As for the bottle again this stuff can be a seroius pain when you try to drip it on and it doesn't want to come out. The only way I found to stop that is to hold the bottle upright and squeeze until the air bubble blocking it is cleared and you can get back to the task at hand. Well if your looking for a good dry lube try this one out if your looking for a lube that can handle mud and water I suggest Rock n Roll it won't wash off like this stuff, yes Rock n Roll is a little of a pain in the a$$ to put on but I still feel like it does a better job than the Finish Line in wet conditions. As for a dry lube it's great as for a wet lube it sucks you choose PEACE!!

Similar Products Used: White lighting Race Day, 3 in1 household oil lube, Rock n Roll Extreme lube THE BEST!
Jimbo   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

Lasts much longer than that wax stuff
Doesn't attract much more dirt than the wax stuff
Goes on clear and thin - like water.
Penetrates very well
Quiets the drivetrain
Minimal "black goo" factor
Good for more than just chain
Smells great. Or not.

Must be careful not to squeeze a freakin' stream out of the bottle and get it all over the tire and rim. Especially true when the tip clogs up and then bursts free all of a sudden... Just be careful.
Smells bad. Or maybe not.

Bottom Line? No way, listen to my life story

Short answer (3 marks):

Highly recommend this lube if you hate the wax stuff and hate the heavy stuff, and/or you use your bike for both road and off road riding, or you don't know what the hell kind of lube you should use. I reapply just when I start to hear the chain rattling over the chainring (don't let it get too loud though). Its good stuff.

Essay answer (15 marks):

I think this is the one for me. I use it on my commuting bike as well as my trail/weekend/race bike.

I think its a "moderate" between the wax lubes (clean,dry, but short life) and the heavier stuff like Finish Line Cross Country (green cap) and Pedro's Syn lube (long lasting, durable, but holds on to dirt). Expect this lube to be a compromise between those extremes.

My commuting conditions are mostly dry, but because my commutes are only 15km roundtrip, its not a big deal to get caught in the rain with this lube the odd rainy day. I just wipe the chain off and then relube the next morning. It might sound counterintuitive to use a drier lube like this in the rain, but provided the distances are short enough and you have fenders, I thinks its better than using a thicker lubricant, since drier, non-wax lubes won't hold on to that road grime that's in the rain water that's splashing all over your bike when riding, and will still provide sufficient protection. I get about 80km out of one application in dry weather. No hills to climb in the city so the torque is normal, although we do get winds that will blow you away like Mary Poppins. You can get a bit more distance by using two coats.

For weekend trail riding and racing this stuff lasts until the campsite or the finish line, which is good considering the benefits of a clean chain after. I've used it up to 5 hours in hilly stuff with some big derailer-deep puddles (but otherwise dry weather) and dirt. As I rode back to the campsite the chainrings were just starting to make that rattle sound which signals that the chain is starting to get dry. Any of those wax jokes would have had me relubing on the trail,instead of at the end - a big p.i.t.a).

I apply a drop to each link (recommend the drip bottle), real slow and anal-retentively (you probably realized that by now), and I don't wipe off the chain after applying, I think the lube is dry enough that the excess doesn't need to be wiped. Some of it is just a carrier anyway, and will evaporate shortly. Of course wipe the chain off *before* you add this lube, as you would any other.

Might also try Super Lube which has also gotten excellent reviews on this site. It seems to be the same in principle, although I don't know if its available in a drip bottle.

go nutz

Similar Products Used: Triflow (a little heavier than finish line red cap, but not as heavy as Finish Line green cap), Pedro's Ice Wax, White Lightning.

Also, with limited success, assorted foodstuffs like maple syrup (Canada No. 2 grade!), prairie honey, peanut butter (extra smooth, don't want those crunchy peanuts grinding in your drive train, do we?), olive oil (only the finest Greek extra virgin), holandais and bechamel sauce, whipped cream, and "I Can't Believe its not Butter!" (TM). Habanero sauce as a fine degreaser.

Uhmm... don't take that seriously, ok kids?
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2007]
Strength:

Does not attract dirt much. longevity is good.

does not last as long as oil based stuff

I recently used up my first bottle of this stuff, and i am pretty happy with it. It keeps the chain pretty quiet. It is not quite as clean as Krytech wax lube, but it does not really build up any grunge. The longevity is decent, but not outstanding. Resists water better than wax. For what it is, it is pretty good. I will return to Krytech for the dry summer months, but this was great for the fall. For winter/spring i am going to try triflow.

Similar Products Used: Finish line Krytech and Cross Country, motor oil, schwinn bicycle lube.