Zefal HF635 Halogen Headlight Lights

HF635 Halogen Headlight

Lisa   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2010]
Strength:

ok, it's a halogen, but for the price this is a great commuter light. I commute daily in the dark, no street lights. I've owned mine for years and keep looking for a chance to buy another. I love the spread of the beam and the long battery life. Compared to a cheap led with its narrow beam and fast battery decay, this one wins every time.

Case is screwed shut so not easy to pop open, and yellow blinky lights are set high so they can flash into your eyes and interfere with night vision. Commercial rechargeable batteries do not have enough voltage to run the light without diy work to add another battery to the pack.

Best value for night-time fully dark commutes.

Similar Products Used: various cat-eye products
Bernd Nurnberger   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Great LEDs, but too much scattered light in the face

LEDs are yellow, coarse halogen reflector, looks like the output of a counterfeits factory

A bit big, a bit heavy, OK for a halogen, but too big for just great LEDs. Even to use those, I had to modify it. Above the LEDs a piece of adhesive aluminum tape helped most of the scatter.
The halogen beam lights the ground so incoherently that it takes away too much attention trying to see obstacles through it. The narrow but consistently bright beam of the b&m toplight is outright comfortable compared to the Zefal.

Similar Products Used: b&m toplight with dynamo, LED Lenser V8 held with o-ring
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2005]
Strength:

Nice combo of bright halogen, highly visible amber flashing light; quick mount/dismount feature. The translucent color selection is very nice for this model. Swivel operation for lateral positioning.

The 4 AA batteries are a bit hefty; this light might not bounce well off concrete if dropped.

The beam is surprisingly bright. Very nice appearance in translucent color. As with other reviewer observations, take it easy when opening it the first time or two.

Similar Products Used: Non-halogen jobbies from years past. Big difference.
richard   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2002]
Strength:

Mount has a set screw, making it rattle less and more theft resistant

Poor light, too much light into rider's eyes, bulky, heavy, dumb nut on the mount!

Piece of junk! Let's face it; it's nothing more than an overweight, over sized LED. There are loads of lighter, less obtrusive, and brighter LED's available.

Let's start with the mount. For some reason, the nut fits loosely into a little socket. (I guess that's so you can replace it, but I've NEVER stripped one before.) It also falls out and rolls under the kitchen cabinets when you try to mount it. After several minutes of yard stick fishing, I had the nut secured in its socket with a wad of tape.

Next morning, it's Maiden Voyage time. I don't know why, but the LED's are completely unshielded. SO, I have these LED's hitting me in the face. I turn those off and turn on the lamp. Is it on? Yup - I can see the light if I put my hand out front. I turn onto a street with no street lights and few house lights. OH, THERE it is! Instead of a nice focused (howbeit small) patch of light I'm used to with my CatEyes, there are just random smears of light. If I'm to dodge potholes, I'm still forced to rely on ambient lignt.

Similar Products Used: CatEye, just about all of their AA & C-celled lights; Sigma
Yoda Byrd   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

This is one GREAT "be seen" light at a bargain price! It won't turn some dark trail into daylight, but it has a very good bright white main beam and 3 DARNED bright yellow LEDs that cover over 180 degrees forward in a fan array. I use this as a nighttime backup to my 9/12/15W NiteHawk Prowler and run the LEDs in "flash" even with my big light on. It's supposed to run for hundreds of hours in flash and really gets attention (I had a carload of old ladies pull over at an intersection I was trying to cross one night ... COOL!) I run it alone in flash before it gets dark and it keeps the cars off of you. Worth the money just for the LED function!

It is a bit of a chore to change batteries; you need good light and a phillips head. Pay attention to the tiny battery direction symbols inside the case. The mount to the handlebars is a bit tricky, too, but once mounted, the light easily slips on and off without tools. Watch that little hex nut that slips into one side of the mount, it'll run off and hide until you tighten the mount with its own phillips head.

The best "Be Seen" light for the money. You can't go wrong for $16.99. After using mine for months, I got my son one, too.

Similar Products Used: Old generator lights, Schwinn stuff, etc.
Sprocketeer   Cross Country Rider [Jan 10, 2003]
Strength:

The triple LED flashing lights are awesome. I don't use this light anymore because I really needed something to see by off road and decided to use my off-road lights more and more while commuting, so I gave this light to a friend.

Poor construction. Even just opening it, you have to be mindful not to break it, and when you do--which is inevitable--you have to put it back together with tape. In a crash, it falls apart into several pieces, however it is easy to put back together again.

This light was obviously not made for serious cyclists, but the LED flashers are amazing and I wish they would make a model of just the flashers because that's all I used it for--otherwise from occassionally as a flashlight--for cycling at any decent speed, it's useless. The battery warning light is also very helpful.

In terms of the flashers, I highly recommend this product--as well as their rear flashers, which are also awesome. Both will last you more than a year on their batteries at a shot.

As far as using it as a headlight goes it's no good even for being seen by, but I'll give this product a high rating just because of the flashers.

Similar Products Used: Cat Eye Daylights II, eLight--tiny LED blinker that's very bright.
Steve-O   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2002]
Strength:

Zefal is the best. I strongly recommend you get a Zefal light. I broke the mount on the handlebar. Several bike shops said no replacement part is available and you just have to buy a new light. I got on Zefal's web site and asked if I could buy a replacement part. They replied within 24 hrs. and mailed me a new mount free of charge. I also had the part on my doorstep within a week. ZEFAL IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE KING. I am also very happy with the light. My buddy bought a Cateye at the same time. It's a good light but mine's a little brighter and I'm sure he won't have the same customer service.

Batteries hard to change.

Excellent customer service.
Bright Light for the price. I love the three LEDs. I use them until I get to the trailhead to save battery time.

Similar Products Used: Cateye
george brown   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2005]
Strength:

combines a bright halogen head light with a forward flahing yellow light. can adjust both lights as desired. moderately priced. hard to steal off your bike when the small screw is inserted. i am a commuter / city dweller, and losing lights, etc., when the bike is parked is a constant threat.

the glare from the light into a rider's eyes noted by other posts is an issue. i solved that problem for me by putting a small piece of electrical tape over the top of the light, and am quite satisfied. that locking screw is mighty tiny.

my favorite light for a city commuting situation. the ability to have a headlight and flasher going at the same time is pretty nice riding the streets here in DC.

Similar Products Used: cat eye
David   Weekend Warrior [Dec 06, 2002]
Strength:

LED's are very effective......lite weight.....good mount..

the way the case opens to change batteries is poorly designed.........TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN YOU OPEN IT FOR THE FIRST TIME....I would imagine moe than a few have been broken before batteries have even been installed...

I like the light LED combo.......I was mostly interested in the LED's as a be seen weapon.....It's a fairly compact design so it's easy to stuff in a pocket when you go to the store......The light is fine for slow riding, but if you want a light for fast riding you should be looking at a
10 or 15 watt light.....I would have bought a cat eye 300L but it was too big and bulky....I'm happy with this purchase