VistaLite Total Eclipse Lights

Total Eclipse

Even if you get caught in a violent downpour, the Total Eclipse flashing safety light keeps flashing, because it is completely waterproof. The sleek design encompasses 7 super-bright LED's, with 3 modes: steady, flashing and chase. Mounts to a seat post with a quick-release, and also has a belt clip for mounting to a pack or a rear pocket. Runs on 2 AAA batteries, included.

Peggy Sands   [Jul 08, 2014]
Strength:

bright light

the clip broke

It was good while it lasted, it just stopped working one day. Naturally I don't have the paperwork for a return

Todd   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

weatherproofness(?), brightness, visibility

the mounting clip is really pretty flimsy

This is the best light I've used. I've had other lights with flimsy clips, too. I won't use those again, but I'm buying more of this one. Its strengths far outweigh its single weakness.

I have had excellent luck using this light affixed to my Roc Loc on the back of my helmet. It's light enough that I don't really notice it and it's up high enough for really good visibility. My body absorbs most of the shock so the clip's durability isn't much of an issue. My sweat is, however, so I take care to wipe down the light after rides.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, not sure what model
Jimmy Chan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Absolutely brilliant led display with options to choose from. It now comes with a fool-proof seat post mount. Long battery life depending on how you use the light display.

Very unreliable belt clip! If you use the seat post mount there will be no problems - guaranteed!

You get what you pay for.....This light has never let me down and it probably never will. I have gone one step further and made a customised S/S bracket that is adapted to fit two of these lights side by side. The logic behind this is simple. When both lights are flashing it appears to be a much bigger light when seen from behind and more importantly if one fails I have one left that works. For those of you who know what it's like to be nearly wiped out by idiot drivers there are no second chances. Full marks all round for a top product!

Similar Products Used: Various cateye lights.
kimo   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

Super bright light in a small package. Three light patterns to choose from; steady, blinking and chasing. (2) AAA batteries. Water-tight construction.

None so far.

Highly recommended. Visible from long distance.

Similar Products Used: Planet Bike, Specialized, Cateye
Davezila   [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

Bright. sturdy. good switch mechanism

Bike mounting brackets

This light is great. It seems everyone forgot to mention the best part of this light. IT SCREWS (not snaps) TOGETHER. Yes... it may require a screwdriver to replace batteries BUT it is watertight and most of all.... I dont come home to find only half a taillight on my bike! I have lost so many parts to those snap together pieces of junk that I will only go with this light. The mounting bracket is suspect so just use a good one from one of those snappy-snaps and you'll be fine. 5 flaming roscoes for this baby.

Similar Products Used: too many to remember
Robert Chan   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2006]
Strength:

Very bright, but only with fully close to fully charged battery

Battery life is poor and product reliability. I need the tail light for about 6 months, about 3 times a week for about 30 minutes each ride. I go through 2 sets of AAA's in that time, but I guess somethings got to give to make them that bright.

I really like the brightness, and I guess the low battery life is not too much to pay considering I go through 2 sets of AAA's in the 6 winter months I need them. Initially, I liked them so much, I got 4 of them, 2 for my wife, 2 for me, we ride with 2 lights each. I never ride in the rain being a SoCal wimp, but after 2+ years, 2 out of the 4 taillights stopped working. That never happened with my cheapo $6 tail lights in the past, so I am going to look at other tail light options in the future.

Similar Products Used: Low-end Vistalite tail lights
Peter   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2003]
Strength:

Super bright.

Belt clip failure.

Brightness is all. In big city traffic, your light can save your life. I used my first one for bike commuting for two years. No problems with the seatpost mount. Then I used the belt clip on my backpack and it fell off in traffic. I retrieved it and tried again and then lost it again. That time, I wasn't so lucky. I bought a new one because you can't beat this light for brightness. Now it's on my back pack with a rubber band for reinforcement. Is this a good review or a bad one...hell I don't know.

Similar Products Used: None
Ken   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2002]
Strength:

Very bright, long battery life, convenient mount, People see you almost a mile away.

None that I've found.

This is hands down the best tail light I have ever owned. It is the brightest LED battery operated light I have seen. I use it mostly when I ride on the street. Cars really notice you at night with this thing on. The batteries last about 100 hrs in flash mode (it has thre modes; steady, flash, Christmas tree), although it is much dimmer as the batteries near the end of thier life. I like to replace them after about 50-75 hrs just to keep the light at its brightest. No problems that I have found. It just does what it's supposed to. A definite 5 star product as far as I'm concerned.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Specialized, other Vistalite
ryan warrington   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2002]
Strength:

Light, small, EXTREMELY bright and trouble-free. I wouldn't consider anything else.

None. Price, maybe, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using mine for years and never had a problem at all. Commuting in the rain, hot weather, cold weather, I never even think about it anymore. It's amazingly bright, brighter than other ones I've seen.

I usually use the belt clip on a backpakc, messenger bag or jersey pocket, and it's never fallen off. The seatpost mount works great too, but I switch bikes alot.

Similar Products Used: cateye, trek, specialized and they're all trash.
Tony   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

friends say it's bright, 180º + visibility, long battery life, easy to use with gloves, unclips easily

plastic clip broke during a bunny hop, narrow beam of really bright light but not so bright from the side, doesn't double as reflector when turned off, changing the batteries takes tools and effort (you have to make sure the weather seal is on correctly), the "christmas tree chase" mode is pretty pointless

other than the flimsy plastic belt clip, which broke, twice, but is now fixed with epoxy, this light is a good buy. bright, lightweight, has survived several downpours. light gets dim to let you know it's time to change the batteries. i ride in heavy traffic (atlanta), and i haven't been hit from behind yet, so i assume it does its job. i give it a four because the clip needs to be redesigned, but otherwise a solid light.