Topeak Moonshine HID Lights

The MoonShine HID system uses SolarcTM, the brightest bulb on the market. Mounts on your handlebar, helmet, or straps to your head with optional head band. Turn on the Moonshine HID when you need the brightest.

• 10W Metal Halide white light lighting system.
  • Power control: RISC processor with 4 levels LED on/off--10W--7W--low battery-indicator.
  • Power reserve tank: provides up to 30 minutes of additional burn time at 10W.
  • Quick release clamp or bracket for easy use on handlebar, helmet or on your head. Use it when you are riding, hiking, or climbing.
  • Mount the lamp on the center of handlebar stem. Easy to adjust it vertically and pivoted 15? laterally.
  • Burn Time: 10W -- 2 hours, 7W -- 2.3 hours.

joynt1   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2010]
Strength:

I like the light, but have not used it much..

none known

Need your help..
I purchased my light in New Zealand which runs on 240V. I need to get a USA version charger. Do you wanta sell me yours?
I've asked topeak to sell me one - but because this is an older model - there having problems even finding a spare charger..

I can be reached at joynt1@gmail.com

Similar Products Used: none
PeterKesel   Downhiller [Apr 05, 2010]

A high-intensity discharge light is commonly known as HID light. They are well-known for offering a higher and better light intensity with lower power consumption, it's important for road safety. If a comparison is made with fluorescent and incandescent lights, these light generate a far superior amount of light per unit area of light package.More information visit at: http://www.hidonlinestore.com/

russellsheehan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2009]
Strength:

Sleek looking. Sensible battery positioning. Very bright.

Light gets hot. Problem with light housing resulted in return of product for repair.

Despite the problems I encountered the customer support from Topeak (in fact a subsidiary company called Todson) was excellent. Just call 800-213-4561 hit #4 and ask for Nick.

Similar Products Used: None
mtnbkrdr   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2009]
Strength:

Bright smooth beam pattern, well built light head, fast charging time, low price on Ebay

Battery pack mounting position not ideal, light also could be slightly brighter

So far, this light has proven itself to be a solid buy especially for the low price I found it for on Ebay. It is not blindingly bright, but is not easy to ourun. Generally, I use the light while riding on smooth roads and bike trails, so I can't comment on how well it would perform over less-forgiving terrain. All-in-all the Topeak seems like a good light for anyone needing something powerful enough to clearly illuminate the trail ahead and durable enough to last for years to come.

Similar Products Used: Cygolite Night Rover, Blackburn Quadrant, Light and Motion Solo, Dinotte 200l, Trek LED
solo rider   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2006]
Strength:

Light, quick recharge, multiple mounting options, bright, even beam pattern, good burn time

Wiring into the lamp

In a single word.......AWESOME. This light serves my purposes perfectly with its multiple mounting options, light weight, plentiful burn time, and most importantly its bright and wide beam pattern.

The only performance niggle is how the wire goes into the headlamp......in the event of a crash there's the potential to pull the wiring out, but this is an easy, easy fix.

In regard to cost, it's spendy @$400, but if this lasts another 5 years, I'll consider it well worth the money. It'b been used for 2 years now, w/no issues whatsoever.

I don't think I've ever given a perfect score on a product review, but this one gets the full 5. In the 15 years I've been riding seriously, this is one of the best cycling related products I've ever used.

Similar Products Used: Niterider, Marwi, Cygolite
Gerald Fay   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2006]
Strength:

Very light weight. Bright with good beam distribution

Light failed after 4 uses. Getting replacement from dealer took over 6 weeks. Fearful light will fail again. Unit needs to be replaced as a whole.

Nice light, support is slow. Unit may have design flaw to cause light capacitor to fail.

Dominic Osborne   Racer [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Bright and lightweight. Fixtures to the bike frame are very good. Nice chasis.

Unreliable, unpredictable.

I originally purchased this light from the local bike shop as I urgently needed a good light to ride home from work and this was the best light that they had. I wanted to be as safe as possible which is why I picked a good light. After charging the battery and using it for the first few times I was very impressed with the amount of light that I was getting out of such a small unit.

About a couple of months down the track I switched it on and the LED indicator system was not working, but I still had light? That was odd I thought. This did not occur again for a while and I decided against taking it back thinking it was just a minor glitch.

About six months down the track I had similar problems with the LED indicator, but it did not appear to effect the main operation of the light so I thought nothing else of it.

Just after the twelve month warranty had expired, it was near dusk and I switched my light on... only there was no light? That was odd? But as soon as it was dark and I tried to switch it on it was fully operational again? that was odd I thought? Perhaps I got more than I bargained for... a light sensor to cut out operation when the ambient background lighting conditions were sufficient? Although I didn't read about any such sensor in the manual?

One of the next times I used the light I was in busy traffic, with many cars behind me and it was hard to differentiate my light from the cars behind me. Then a car pulled out right in front of me! But the LED indicator on my light was working? Inspection of my light revealed that the main light was not working at all! It was initially on when I switched it on, but must have switched off in the middle of the ride, however the green 10W LED was still on! This was pretty dangerous I thought? After all no light must be less dangerous than riding with the false confidence of a light you think is working, but is not!

On future occasions the light would not switch on at all. I mucked about and played with it and noticed that it would resume normal operation if I unplugged the battery cable, gave it a few seconds and plugged it in again, but the light would often switch itself off again moments later.

On yet another occasion it was raining and I had my light operational. It switched itself off and after taking apart the main lighting assembly and taking out the globe I discovered water inside the metal housing? The frequently asked questions on the yellow sheet that come with the light say, quoting:
"Your lighting system will work fine in the rain, snow or damp conditions..."
This statement is obviously open to question.

On the last occasions I was using my light it would switch on and then off again, with the green LED still on after the battery had been charged and the main light had gone out.

This was a good light when I first purchased it and I invested significantly in a light, where I could have otherwise purchased a second mountain bike with the same amount of money. This light was initially impressive and worked very well, but after just over a year has turned out to be unreliable and non-functional. I am really disappointed that it turned out this way.

I feel that this light has not been engineered to it specification with regard to its robustness to water and its expected life span as quoted in the frequently asked question sheet. I feel that this product requires revision to its design and requires further testing and validation of performance before being put on the market and sold at a premium price.

Similar Products Used: Light and Motion ARC HID LI-ION Bike Light
Alex Torres   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2007]

This is just an update on my previous post (bellow). Not long after I wrote the review, my MoonShine started to act weird. The battery would not charge despite every effort. I tried to contact Topeak but got no reply, maybe they don´t handle these matters directly when dealing out of US. Took the unit to the importer, who happens to be a friend, and wrote a long letter to Topeak explaining everything I did and everything that happened.

After messing around with another non-working unit (exchanging ballasts, lamps, batteries, etc.) I was able to get one unit working again, using the ballast and battery from my MS with the controller of another one. His Enduro battery would not work though. I was getting 2-3 hours on high.

Then the same problem arose after just a few rides. One night at the trailhead it fired up but started blinking red as in "empty" after just five minutes, going dead shortly after. Bad luck, no cookie this time - drove back home!

I ran a few tests with osciloscopes and other testing equipment, compared the data obtained to the one from the manufacturers (voltage, amperage, input Vs. output, etc.) but wasn´t able to find the problem. After discussing with other electronic heads and trading a few emails with other manufacturers, I have a slight suspicion that maybe the Topeak combo of li-ion battery + charger + WA ballast,and above all the RISC controller, may be flawed. It´s just my take, I could be well wrong.

Topeak has a newer unit with the switch integrated to the battery. Can´t say how it work, never tried it. After this much research and testing I learned a few things about these lights. HIDs are tricky. Very different from halogen and leds and as such they must be used differently. The ballast gets a lot of stress to fire up the lamp, and it doesn´t take the heat buildup very well. That means two things: 1) once you turn an HID on, you keep it on till the end of the ride. That way, both the ballast, lamp and battery will last longer and work smooth. 2) By all means, avoid heat buildup. Keeping it on to drain the battery after a ride, light the ceiling or dazzle your friends with the xenon lamp is a no-no and might cause early problems.

Yes I did some of that, and although I can´t say it was the main cause it sure didn´t help. But I had no clue and I was used to other kinds of light. These are very specific tools and should be used as such. I guess manufacturers should warn more clearly about these things and how it may affect the lifespan of their products. Just a few tips and it could save a lot of hassle and disappointment.

End of story: I returned my unit and the other one to the importer and bought me a L&M Arc Li-ion. Yes they were going to get me a new MS but I´d had to wait too long due to importing issues and I didn´t want to. Also, if I am to face difficult service (I´m not in US) then I thought why not go for a better, although more expensive, lightset. In the meantime I had a chance to test a Planet Bike Alias HID (still with me - 1 month / 10 rides and going strong). Will post a review of the Alias and as soon as I have a good record of rides, on the Arc as well.

Taking some chillis off, sorry...

Randy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2006]
Strength:

design, lightweight (370g), power control swithc, puts out nice white light

Light runs hot

I love this light except the heat it generates. Running light at 10w for over 1hr will make casing dangerous to touch. I discussed this with Topeak (who promptly answered email) and they noted that in order to keep light liteweight, they decreased insulation. They also suggested using glove to remove light after 1hr use. But in general - according to Topeak - HID lights run hot. I love the design, the lightweight li-ion battery, fast charger and the control switch. My friends claim that I look like a freight train coming toward them. Both at 7w and 10w, the lights puts out good light. I highly recommend this light, but use caution when removing light after use.

Rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2006]
Strength:

Mounting kit - helmet, handlebar, battery mount on stem. Light, bright and clean set-up.

For some reason, when the battery gets low and you power down, at times, the unit will NOT power back up. Therefore, during a mid ride stop, it makes me nervous to shut it off - so I don't.

I use this for road and mountain. On road, you actually have to angle the beam down a bit, otherwise, oncoming traffic has a tendency to flash high beams. Also, for road use, the handlebar mount design is outstanding and I really like the battery mount on the stem. All of this makes for a very easy to use and super clean set-up. Off road, this light is bright at the high power level. The helmet mount is great. I like the way it sets up on the top of the helmet, rather than on the front. I used NR before this light and the weight of the front of helemet mount often pulled my helmet down in front uncomfortably. THe TOPEAK set up did not do this and was very comfortable. The battery cable is long enough for jersey pocket and the super slim, light battery is fine in the jersey pocket. Though the burn time is shorter than more expensive models, (advertised 2hr at high power) I seem to get actually MORE burn time than advertised - very happy about that one.