Topeak Moonshine 3H Lights

The Moonshine 3H offers features you won't find on other lighting systems. It uses a super lightweight and compact Lithium Ion battery packTo power a halogen headlamp capable of outputting 6, 10, or 20 Watts. Includes helmet and handlebar mount Power “reserveTank” provides upTo 20 minutes of additional burnTime at 6W for emergencies 350 grams Runs for 2-3 hours (depends on wattage selection)

goplacia   Racer [Apr 18, 2009]
Strength:

Hi Beam vs low Beam feature. Light.

Reliability was my issue. Does not have good mounting brackets for the helmet, bars, or in mounting of the battery to the bike. Brackets broke when riding. No support for product. Switch on cable of light problematic, impossible to use while riding, switch broke.

Paid 275, sold parts on ebay at throw away prices. Owning this light for me was a frustrating experience.

Every once in a while you buy something and it fails to live up to expectations. This was mine with this light.

Similar Products Used: Night Rider (awesome lights), Specialized, Blackburn, Cateye
MTB Art   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2007]
Strength:

This product is light and compact. The battery size is very nicely sized with a versatile mount. The cord extensions gives you flexibility in mounting possibilities. Emits a good amount of light.

The switch on/off is a bit delayed but to different light levels are okay. Need a bit more flood beam.

This bike light has all the makings of a fanatastic all around system. However, the high prices I've seen it selling at does not justify the light levels that it provides. Overall, good battery, good setup options, nice and lightly weighted, and decent light emission. No comparison with HIDs, however, no halogens are.

Good light if you can find it for cheap.

A similar product would be the Niterider Evolution Smart.

Similar Products Used: Niterider HIDs, BLT Halogens.
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight, nice battery mounting choice for bar mounting, wide flood beam pattern

SHORT RUN TIME - poor helmet mount - unpredictable run time

DONT BUY THIS LIGHT- I bought this light because it was affordable and I thought the 20W halogen/ Li-Ion battery combo would rock...Word...it did not rock. The absolutely worst helmet mounting I have ever seen. The elastic strap bounces all over the place..(elastic..they must be kidding!)Not to mention trying to use the separate on/off switch on a helmet...it just doesn't work.>> The bar mount for the light worked much better, proving that the light was designed more for bar-mounting than for helmet mounting. Nevertheless, I never got anywhere near the advertised run times...I think 45 min. on the 20W setting. The other lower settings were very dim and very yellow making them very undesirable. The thing I hated most (other than poor run time ) was how the light would power down automatically sometimes. The light is suppose to blink before powering down (off) but I never noticed any blinking while on the trails...just the sudden darkness! (Yikes!) Fortunately, REI took the light back, no questions asked. I just wrote to another user of this product and they too seemed to have the same problem. I can't believe ****peak is still selling these lights.

Similar Products Used: Jet lights 13W halogen- helmet mount, Niterider 10w Halogen- helmet mount, Marwi Nightpro Elite 12W Halogen- bar mount
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2007]
Strength:

None worth mentioning.

Poor connection design. Helmet cord pulls helmet backward during riding. The on/off switch is just plain sily. Battery sucks. Customer service is a JOKE. Shall I go on???

Gave this light a shot since I got a decent deal on it a couple of years back. Used this light a grand total of 3 times before the battery crapped out on me during a 12-hr race. Called Topeak customer support and got a "who gives a crap" attitude. They basically told me it would be $135 for a new battery...paid $150 for the whole damn system...no thanks.

At the 20W setting, the beam is fairly decent for a halogen bulb, but the light has a hard yellow tint and is not wide enough for any technical rides.

The accordian style battery cord gets tight in cold weather and pulls the helmet mounted light back and unless your helmet is strapped on stupid tight, it pulls you all over the place. The on/off switch is a separate cord that velcros on top of your helmet and makes little sense to me. Why not put the switch on the light?

Bottom line is this a cheap light and it shows. To offset that you would think that the customer support should be excellent, but no. Maybe Topeak needs to stick with tools and Joe Blow floor pumps?

Gordon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2006]
Strength:

Very light only 385 grams. The beam is wide and has a good consistant spread of light.

Charger did not charge the lithium battery. The replacement had the same fault. The highest output of 20w was not very bright, quite yellowish and the 6W was dim.

I got the first unit and charged battery as per manual but the battery would not charge so I returned it to where I bought it and got an entirely new unit. Charged the battery of the 2nd unit but the charger would not charge at first, but after trying several times it started charging but stopped 30mins into the charge cycle showing a green led meaning fully charged. Turned the light on to check that it works (thinking its fully charged). The beam was yellowish but gave a good spread of light. I turned the light off, got ready for a ride and the light would not start again. Tried charging several times and it would not charge. Returned to shop for refund in the end. This is a CRAP PRODUCT !!! ... I expected better quality and reliability for my $309 AUD. One faulty product, and you think that you might be unlucky, and give it another try, but the second unit (replacement) does not work either... then as a result, a total loss in confidence with the product... Everything looks so good on paper, Lithium ION battery, weight, and quality of manuals is top notch... but the product is just unreliable.

Similar Products Used: Marwi Titan
Denis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight, comrehensive accesories, compact size of battery.

I thought this light would suit my needs well, I soon found out I had similar problems to other people who have posted here. I wasted my money as the lights don't charge properly. The shop where I bought them don't even stock these lights anymore because they have had so many returns from unsatisfied customers.

Don't buy these lights.

Similar Products Used: BLT, Cateye
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2005]
Strength:

LIght weight , bright ,ease of use

I dont know why this lite gets no respect!! This thing is so light and so bright, and its not a HID to much money for replacement bulbs $100 for HID $12 for this one. This thing comes with helmet attachment or it mounts rite to your center of your bars. it clips rite on & off neat little thumb switch 3 levels of brightness on the med. setting it will run for a couple hours and battery recharged in 4 hours. plenty of light at med the high is super bright.. the battery clips rite to stem top as is half the size of a deck of cards..........

Similar Products Used: noe
Drew   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2007]
Strength:

Compact battery, multiple intensity levels, many mounting options.

snap link connectors on battery cable are WEAK bro. I had to splice the connection using wire nuts and electrical tape.

This light gave me no problems until just a few weeks ago when it blacked out on me at 20mph in the woods one night. Lucky to be alive I finally realized the problem was in the provided extension cord, the connector finally gave out so I cut the wires and re connected them MacGeyver style. The beam is very much a spot beam and has limited my speed on the trail at times even at the 20w level. When the battery gets low the light starts blinking which will suprise the hell out of you when you're riding. The stem mount for the battery is entirely usless unless you stick to the road because it will bounce right off. MTB guys and gals are limited to the helmet mount. But its bright and otherwise durable so I have no need to replace it yet.

Dennis Sebranek   [Nov 12, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent mounting accessories. A good helmet mount that stays put.

It does not light the trail! Or anything else!

This would be a beautiful setup- If it worked. I saw it on Amazon.com for $121 and free shipping and couldn't pass it up. I have seen it elsewhere for over $200. I figured this one light would be perfect for both my mountain and road bikes. Upon receipt I started charging the battery and attaching the mounts to my 2 bikes and helmet. Enough accessories come in the box for me to do this since my MTB has standard bars and road bike has oversized bars. Mounts for both are included as well as a good helmet mount. Also included is a battery stem cap mount and a regular stem battery mount. A beautiful setup. But, the light came on for about 30 minutes, then went out. I tried again and again, it would only stay on for 30 seconds now. I recharged the battery and tried again, 30 seconds, and now the battery was getting too hot to handle. I called Amazon and they were very helpful, sent me another one next day delivery. The light doesn't come on at all on the second one. Amazon will be crediting my account and now I have to decide between a Dinotte or a Fenix. If you are thinking of buying this Topeak, believe the bad reviews, they are true.

Similar Products Used: Cygolite Night Rover Extra ni-cad. 4+ years old and going strong.
Lester Ramey   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2007]
Strength:

It has a good appearance and a wide beam. Initially, one would think "what a deal". So to make matters worse, I purchased the heavy duty battery also.

When problems arise, the company is slow to respond. Unpredictable charging and battery life.

The small group I ride with all bought these lights. We have ten or more lights and at least 16 batteries. All were purchased approximately one year ago. We are all disappointed with the product (the batteries) and the way the company is working with us. Most have had at least one battery replaced more than once at their expense.
Just to keep going, I just ordered a replacement battery at REI for $199, plus S/H. I hope this is not more money wasted.