Specialized Afterburner Pro Taillight Lights

Afterburner Pro Taillight

• Designed for maximum power output and extended run times, the pro offers the ultimate in nighttime visibility.
  • Two ultra high output LED's with Specialized "Photon Funnel" lens system
  • Runs on two AAA batteries (included)
  • Four modes of operation: Steady, flashing and two alternating modes
  • Universal mounting bracket included
  • Extended run time: over 100 hours in flashing mode

• User Reviews (10)

MC SAN ANDREAS   Downhiller [Mar 29, 2009]
    Strength:

nice light unit , selectable flash patterns

the screw on mount is to thin and broke at the retention nut

It fit my bike great I either need to fab a new mount or bur another one ,, Bumma

Similar Products Used: Cateye
    Andrew   [Jun 05, 2003]
    Strength:

Very Bright, Diverse flash modes, extensive battery life

Horrid mounting strap, both LEDs died within a week or so of each other

I got this as a birthday gift in 2000 and was thrilled to see that someone finally gave up on the impossible to fit screw and bracket mounts. But, I soon realized, like every other writer in this segment, that the cruddy little strap that saved a few minutes would wind up being a hassle in just a few weeks. I managed to keep the strap together with frequent Scotch tape patchings but even those didn't last long. Just a few weeks ago, I was riding up a dark stretch of roadway with no streetlights and I followed my habit of checking up on the light's status. This had become especially important ever since the left LED had shorted, then blown out all together a few days earlier. I was shocked to see that the light had completely failed. I assumed it to be a dead battery and when I got home, I swapped batteries and it still didn't work. The other LED had also died. All in all, I'm not very satisfied and I am very happy with my replacement CatEye taillight with 3 LEDs.

Similar Products Used: CatEye Something or other
    Philip Buri   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2003]
    Strength:

It is bright and catches your eye

Terrible rubber strap that splits easily. Light is not waterproof and I gouge the housing each time I open it up to change batteries

Very disappointing. I bought this light because my vista light fell off my back rack and never was quite the same.

Out of the box, the Afterburner Pro Taillight works great and looks cool. But then the design flaws kick in. To mount the light, I had to pull a rubber strap around my seatpost and fit a little plastic knob into one of the pre-made holes in the strap. Good enough. Over time, the rubber strap loses its stretch and even worse, the holes begin to split and turn into one big hole.

I discovered all this when I looked down one morning to see the lights flashing forward at my legs, not at the cars behind.

Can anyone make an inexpensive, bomb-proof taillight flasher?

Similar Products Used: vista light flasher
    david   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2002]
    Strength:

extremely bright, looks neat-o. well sealed against water.

TURRIBLE mounting system. i tried to get batterys for one of the smaller specialized tail lights i bought a few months ago, and when the HOT girly behind the counter realized that the entire mounting system and it didnt work right with the batteries they had, she GAVE ME this light. BRAND NEW. RIVER CITY BICYCLES IN PORTLAND OREGON OWNS ME NOW. i was floored by their excellent customer service.

PS-the mounting system sucks, which seriously affects its rating, which is too bad because the light itself is a really slick unit.

great lite, awful mount.

River City Bicycles is a class act.

Similar Products Used: the smaller, wimpier version
    Pablo   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2003]
    Strength:

While it worked, it kept me visible and kept me from getting killed.

Mounting bracket is absolute crap, light failed to work

I can't believe Specialized it still selling this! I bought this light during my blind Specialized brand loyalty. When I first got it, it was great. Really bright and easy to mount. It has a mounting bracket with a belt-like strap that goes around your seat post, no tools required. However, after just a few weeks of use, the "belt buckle" on the strap ripped a hole from one loop to the next. I tried super glue and tape but nothing fixed it. So I duct-taped it on to the seat. A while later, when I dropped it from waist level, one of the lights stopped working permanently. It was then I decided to buy a CatEye. You can't go wrong when you buy Japanese. Remember that, son. Truly a race of superhumans. Hitler's dream is alive and well.

Similar Products Used: Now I have a CatEye.
    Gary   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Very bright, numerous flashing patterns, easy to mount.

Terrible mounting system. Some sort of "universal" spider mount. Impossible to tighten adequately to prevent slippage, especially on non-traditional seatposts (XCR). Plastic mounting strap guaranteed to stretch and fail eventually.

Feel safer with this light because of brightness, but give me a solid mounting mechanism for this price please!

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Niterider
    Dan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2002]
    Strength:

Very bright. Can be seen in a rain shower.

Very poor mounting system. Poor housing seal against water. I feel bad for the engineering group that had to sign off on the final design.

Throw away the mount. Dig through the bag o' parts at your LBS to make one to fit your needs. Run a strip of electrical tape around the seam of the lens housing and battery housing to seal unit against rain. This light is excellent if you are a commuter that rides in screwball weather and are willing to modify an existing product to fit your needs.
    Bottom line: unless you REALLY need a bright rear light, don't buy this light, it is overpriced and poorly engineered. 1 chili for value. 4 chilis for product with aftermarket modification.

Similar Products Used: Vista 7 LED light. I'd still be using it if it were not for a wayward driver that crunched it.
    Kevin   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2004]
    Strength:

Brightest red blinking light I've seen. Easy to turn on and off.

Mounting device stinks, but will fit mounts from other flashers/brands - use one of them.

I rec. this light to EVERYONE that wants to be seen. I commute to work by bike virtually every day, year-round, regardless of weather, and it's been working flawlessly the whole time. Don't understand all of the poor reviews I've from other cyclists. Maybe it's b/c I have mine mounted on my helmet (for better visibility) which may reduce some of the shock it would otherwise get from a seat post or frame? I'm wondering when they will make a clear or amber lens so I can get one for the front of my bike!

Similar Products Used: Vistalite, Bell
    Glen   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2002]
    Strength:

This light is the brightest that I have found. It will almost blind the other riders behind you.

Horrible mounting system. I hope that Specialized will re-engineer the mount. Like the guy below I had to throw away the mount that came with the light and modify an older mount that I had.

If it had a good mounting system then it would get five chili's, but it doesn't. However, it is so bright that you really stand out on the road which makes me feel a lot safer after dark.

If you want to be seen and can modify an old mount, then you need this light.