Sigma Sport Mirage X Lights

Sigma Sport Mirage X Lights

Luminaries will begin to see

• 8000 Candlepower Halogen Front Beam
  • 20 Watt lamp with 60 LUX / 6000 candlepower and 5 Watt lamp with 20 LUX / 2000 candlepower
  • Latest in reflector technology - best light distribution
  • 5 Watt system burning time 3.5 hours
  • SIGMA SPORT 'click' mounting bracket
  • Completely water tight construction
  • Charge time of 5-6 hours
  • Lead acid battery & charger included
  • Adjustable cable length
  • All mounting is completely tool-free
  • On/off-switch can be mounted on handlebar near the grip
  • Comparable to motorcycle lighting performance

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 16, 2002]
    Steve B

Strength:

PRICE. Excellent spread from both lights giving a good forward view.

Battery life (minor irritation at this cost). Switch mounting.

I use this light set for commuting to and from work 5 days a week in the north of Scotland. You can imagine that the weather can sometimes be pretty poor. Having upgraded from a standard bike light to the Mirage x, I was immensely impressed. The main problem on the journey was oncoming traffic at night continually using full beam, blinding me. That problem has now ceased; indeed on occasion I now get flashed at to dip my own light. Sorry, no way!! The spread of light for me is ideal; I use a cycle path that is 2 meters wide and the Mirage x provides excellent illumination, up to 18 meters in front. The battery life is quite low, lasting about 50 minutes using the 5w lamp for about 20% of the time and the 20w for the remaining ride, however, if the 5w lamp is in use a small green light on the switch illuminates to warn of low power, if the 20w alone is in use this does not happen, but when the 20w lamp begins to dim I switch to the 5w which gives sufficient (still better than my old light) illumination to complete the journey. Overall an excellent lamp set well worth the money, even if it is more expensive here than just about everywhere else. Yes the charger has no trickle facility (I have found that it is better to completely drain the battery before recharging) and the instructions aren’t ideal, but how many people actually read them! I have purchased a cheap electronic timer that automatically turns off the charger after 6 hours. I like it, and would recommend them to anyone at this price. You could always pay around $470 and get an 84w system, but you get what you pay for.

[Jul 01, 2002]
    Michael Lambert

Strength:

Very affordably priced; bright light compares to that of automobiles; easy installation

Documentation provided with the product is vague; battery life is too short for serious night rides

This light is great for someone who is budget minded and doesnt need a great deal of light for extended periods of time. Due to the poor ducumentation provided with the product I ended up squinting home from a 2 1/2 hour midnight trek with almost no light to help me. The box claims that the battery is able to sustain 3.5 hours of use but this MUST mean with only the smaller light enabled. The brighter of the two lamps is tremendous but should only be used when absolutely necessary as it simply comsumes too much juice. There also is no way to tell whether the battery is being/is properly charged so your forced to babysit the thing to avoid overcharging it.

[Sep 14, 2003]
    Dentarg

Strength:

Great 20W light, at least 30 meters full visible view.
    Nice mounting kit, fast mounting without any tools, great
    adjustment.

Low runing time at 20W. Lame switches, switching from 5 to 20W is annoying, I have to turn on one switch and turn off another, so it takes time, and causes speed loss ...

The lights costs about 1/5 of my mounthly payment, so this is rather expensive in my country. But this is one of the best light system I can bought in Poland. I think I have to change accu for at least 2 times bigger, and system will work much better. I just went back from solo night riding across forest, 1 feet wide single tracks and avg speed above 20kmph, max about 30 I think ;). This is great, same speed as riding this tracks during the day. But switches should be merged into one with 4 options (off, 5W, 20W, 5+20W) ...

[Nov 30, 2006]
    James

Strength:

overall cost to output ratio...very good. With a few modifications you can increase the length of output.

Availability of parts for the Sigma Sport Dual Beam, not Evo X

Just was looking through some of the posts and I see mine from 2 years ago, very cool!! I recently have tried to upgrade the product with a 20W MR11 bulb, it was a no go. The bulb was too hot and melted my MR11 interchange or wire board, now I am looking for a new one or something I can use as a wire board to connect the MR11. I thought of the ceramic connector but I am hesitant. Has anyone tried this?

The light still works great though and from the website the system is now called Evo and the EVO X, with battery the price climbs into the $100 + range, a far cry from the $50 I paid 2 years ago.

I am sure I did not burn the wires just the connector. If anyone has some spare parts for the Mirage please email me, would be interested in buying the 10W light or some of its parts. I don't know why but I am just hooked on this light system...

[Oct 06, 2003]
    Jason Gardner

Strength:

For the price, it's a great light!

You have to modify the lights with a large capacity battery if you plan on doing some real riding in the dark.

This light is great! I am used to riding with an expensive Niterider HID, however, last season I sold it and couldn't stomach the big $$ to get a new one. So, I looked around to find a cheaper light to use temporarily. I liked the price of the Sigma, but, would it be bright enough? Yes, if you use the 20W! The 5w light is okay for the climbs, but you have to have the 20w for the downhill. I used a previous reviewers modification (Danny) and purchased a "heavy" lead acid battery and modified it to work with my 20w light. Big thanks to Danny for his email replies to my lame questions. I mounted the 20w on my helmet and placed the aftermarket battery in my Camelbak! I have the 5w with original battery on my handlebar for the ride up. The way I figure it... I have 3.5hr burntime with the 5w and approx. 2.15hr burn with the 20w. Plently of time to get a nice ride in! All in all, I probably spent $60.00 for the entire set-up and now I have two light, two batteries and two times more light than any of the other lights in this price range :-) Now, if only someone could come up with a modification to even the light pattern on the 5w light, it kind of shoots the light in a star-burst pattern... a bit bothersome.

Cygolite 25W NiCad

[Jan 01, 2004]
    Ivan

Strength:

Lightweight and tough. Excellent money/quality ratio. Great light performance for that money. Crashed once with them on bike, lamps fell apart but nothing was broken.

Too weak battery... Cable between Mirage 5w and battery, i have cut it and built in a connector, so i can take off battery without removing the main switch

My Mirage (5W) now uses 7.2V 4.5Ah waterbottle battery (4hr run time)and is working at 7W. I have 2 Mirage X lamps which are powered by 6V 20Ah SLA battery (single 6hrs, both 3 hrs) but i am planning to make more powerful NiMH battery (7.2V, 21 or 28Ah) to increase light output (which would be, in that case, around 25W each, total of 57 watts) and decrease weight.

2.5W halogen lights

[Nov 12, 2003]
    Matt

Strength:

Low cost, Low weight, install and removes in less than 5 minutes which is great for commuters, really lights up the trail and road.

no low battery indicator, no smart charger (but easily fixed using a light timer), switch placement needs improving.

For only paying $55, this kit cannot be beat. I just can't see paying $300 to $400 for lights.......for me that is crazy, you racers may need that but for the weekend warrior and the serious commuter this is an awesome package. If Sigma redesigns the switch locations and switches the normal charger for a smart charger and adds a low battery indicator in this kit would be unbeatable.

cheap 2.5 watt lights

[Jan 01, 2004]
    Niklas Ingvar-Nilsson

Strength:

Nice light, especially the 20W light. Not as broad lightbeam as Mila and Silva headlamps

Battery, it is a joke! But it can easily be changed to a 6V NiMH battery with much better capacity and lower weight. No smart charger inkluded!

Nice lamps, allthough there is brighter light available on the market. The lightbeam could be wider, but it is quite OK.

I never tried it with original battery, because I imidiatly switched to 2 parralell coupeled Silva/Brunton 6V 9Ah batteries, which give me about 4 hours of full light (instead of 45 minutes). The batteries i have put i a batteri bag from the old Cateye daylight - works OK!

I cut of the battery cable just outside the battery and pit on a Moulex contact to fit the Silva/Brunton batteries.

Now i can ride in the dark untill I get tired, not unteil the battery gets tired... That is a fantastic experience in the dark part of the year in Sweden - especially together with a good helmet light from Silva/Brunton. This set up will be 5 chillis. With original set up only be about 1.5 chillis

Cateye Daylight, Mila headlamps with bike mounts

[May 19, 2006]
    Aidan de Lange

Strength:

neat setup and great starter pack.

for technical riding: not enough light.
    for 24hr endurance: not enough battery life.
    the promised 3,5 hr (5watt) is a long shot.

Can you get HiD bulbs to suit this fine product.??
    for a 24hr event, unassisted, 6-8hr light (20watt) time is required.
    Any advice / help with this??

first set of lights purchased.

[Nov 22, 2002]
    gari

Strength:

excelent lighting power for the money
    easy installation

awkward to press switches
    cable between switches not long enough

out of all of the lights that ive used, this sigma light system is an excellent light with the price tag that is within reach of most riders

the best advice that i can give is :- it is the best light by far for the money
    buy it!!!

vistalite nitestick 10 watt
    smart 1 x 10 watt light 1 x 10 watt (white light)
    smart 1 x 2.4 watt 1 x 10 watt