Princeton Tec Switchback 1 Lights

• Helmet Extention Cord
  • Cable Straps

• User Reviews (6)

Mr. Jewannaman   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Great light and durable.

The bottom line has to do more with the company than the product. I think Princeton Tec makes some great stuff, but I don't trust a company that makes you jump through hoops in order just to find out some basic contact information such as telephone number and physical address in case I have a problem with my product - which I do. So, they get an F for being very consumer unfriendly. I don't get it? Anybody care to help? Better yet, anyone from Princeton Tec care to share this information - or will you get strung up by a headlamp, have a spotlight shown on you in a compromising position and forced to do unseemly things? In the meantime, I have a product that needs servicing from your lifetime warranty. Lame.

Mr. Jewannaman

bob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2009]
    Strength:

Great package, well made, all possible ++ features included, simple to mount, looks good, bright on high and battery lasts 4 plus hours.
    I was impressed with the packaging and mounting system - strong and simple.

Could always be brighter, but then thats why they have the Switchback 2 and 3, but I prefer the lighter weight of the 1.

Dump the flashing lights and move up to the real thing.

Similar Products Used: Small Cat eye
    tonyride1   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2009]
    Strength:

Size, long burn time, quick charger, price, car charger.

Didn't find any yet.

I just got it yesterday so I decided to test it out before using it on a night ride. I fully charged it as per instructions and then turn the light on to the highest setting. I read Daniel's experience with the battery and charger so I wanted to make sure I didn't get what he got. So after it was fully charged 4 hours later (initial charge takes 3-4 hours. After that it only takes 2 hours to fully charge the battery) I turned the light on and timed it. It is suppose to burn for 4.5 hours in the brightest setting. After 5 hours of still burning I shut it off as I didn't want to do any damage the battery by over draining it. So far it has exceeded my expectations but that was just in the house. I will follow up with another review after I take it out for a nice long ride or two and see how long a charge lasts on the trails. I'm giving it 4 flamin chilis for now. If the light holds up after the ride then I will rate it accordingly. Oh, it comes with both helmet and handle bar mount. I already have a handle bar mounted light so I will be using this as my helmet light.

Similar Products Used: Niterider Headtrip
    Daniel Boice   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Small, ability to charge from car

Battery would not hold a charge, so that by the time I needed it, it was dead. Exchanged, and the second battery's outlet was defective, so could not charge at all. I finally gave up and ordered another product.

It's probably a very fine light, but I got two defective batteries in a row. After the first one, the Princeton Tec support e-mailed (no telephone number for help) that it happens. No response to e-mail about the second one, so I'd rate the support pretty lame. I wasted a lot of time just trying to get a light that worked.

Similar Products Used: Planet Bike
    Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2008]
    Strength:

Bright, long burn time, small battery pack, Lithium Ion w/smart charger. All accessories are included, even adapters for euro/12V auto are included. Works great for night commuting and non-technical night trail riding. Mount is very sturdy and has survived some abuse without cracking.

Not quite as good as the sun.

I will definitely be buying the Switchback 3 when I find a deal on it. In terms of trail riding, this light rocks as a helmet light when paired with a brighter handlebar light. It is sufficient for non-technical trails/bike paths. For commuting, I have no problem confidently riding 35 mph (downhill, of course) in otherwise darkness. The handlebar mount has a quick release which makes removal a breeze. The setup is quite light compared to NiMH systems. Burn times are true to advertised claims, and with a Switchback 3, adventure racing without changing batteries seems do-able. This is one of the most well thought out devices I've ever bought.

Similar Products Used: Cateye blinkies and some other non Li-ion lights.
    Bob R.   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2007]
    Strength:

4 Modes of burn, high mode lasts 4.5hrs, med lasts 6hrs, handlebar and helmet mount, long cords, car charger

Product manual comes on DVD instead of hard copy (I'm being real picky here)

Myself and my racing partner have used this since Summer 07 24hr mtb race. The lighting system is awesome, I highly recommend. If I could do over, I would buy two of these instead of the much more expensive L&M Arc, which is a litter better but 2x the price. Car charger is nice, and simple setup.
    Bottom line: you could ride challenging singletrack at night no problem with this system. I have not tried the Switchback 2 or 3, which are more expensive models. You could easily use this as your night riding light all year.