Planet Bike Dual Spot Lights

Planet Bike Dual Spot Lights

A halogen headlight and super-bright white LED all-in-one. Choose between flashing or steady LED modes, and low or high headlight power. Up to 100-hour run time with two "AA" batteries (batteries included). Built-in QuickCamª bracket mounts adjust or remove in seconds.

[Apr 01, 2003]
Andreas E

Strength:

Small size, 4 different light settings, quick release, battery life.

Just not enough light output.

Use the LED strobe to be visible to cars and the halogens settings for off bike flashlight use. Halogen casts a rectangular beam in front of you and the single LED is not bright enough except for total darkness, but still limited.
Use the new Planetbike's 3 spot which uses 3 LED's and runs on 3 AAA batteries, which as more light, with long life.

Planetbike 3 spot

[Jul 29, 2002]
Josef

Strength:

The DualSpot's bluish LED bulb is bright enough to be seen by on-coming traffic from 2000 feet.It also makes a great daytime running light with the LED/Strobe mode.The LED strobe mode flashes just fast enough to make drivers notice from a very long distance.Because of this,drivers don't cut me off as much compared to when I was using a regular commuter light like a Cat Eye.The bluish LED/strobe really stands out.It's lightweight and mounts/unmounts quickly and the battery run time lasts for a long time.Before,I'd take my chances not running a light because some driver would play chicken with me,or totally ignore me when they turn left.This light makes drivers notice and they won't take a chance.If you're a real fast rider,drivers often wait for you to pass.It could also be they may think you're a police officer on a patrol bike with the strobe on.Whatever it is,it's a great little light and I won't ride in the dark without it.The LEDs are brighter than the halogens.Toss the halogen bulb.

I would like to see an optional plug-in remote switch so I can choose the lights with both my hands on the grips.Riding at night through bumpy streets can be a problem.You have to press the button hard/long enough to switch modes.The DualSpot's halogen highbeam bulb isn't bright enough and is scattered all over the place by the mirrored/prism lense.The lowbeam is useless.The battery cover tends to pop off when the light is mounted.The most flawed part is the locking lever.You have to constantly adjust it to fit the handle bar,even though I use an Easton EA70 bar on all my bikes.Loosen the bolt enough and you may lose the locking mechanism like I did.And if you use this at night,good luck finding that lost piece.Handlebars usually run the same diameter so why does it have to be constantly adjusted?I now use a zip-tie to clamp.While it looks ghetto,it keeps the light on.SUGGESTION: Dump the halogen and add another LED bulb with the high/low beam AND strob option.Add an optional remote switch that can be mounted next to the grips.Fix the clamping system.

It's a cool little light system.It's lightweight.The LED bulbs make you stand-out both day and night.battery run time is great.
The clamping system and weak halogen bulbs are the only flaws.Otherwise,a very effective light for the low price.

Cat Eye,Specialized.

[Jun 08, 2003]
Alvin Ko

Strength:

Decent battery life, fairly stable attachment to handlebars, flashing LED setting is sufficient to prevent car accidents at night.

The other 3 settings available on the light (constant LED, low and high power halogen) are insufficient for actually seeing the road.

If you have $20 to spend and you're looking for a light to keep you from getting run over at nights in the city, this light is for you.

If you want to see where you're going at night or have some serious long-distance commuting to do, consider spending the money on a serious light setup (e.g., Light and Motion Commuter, etc.).

[Feb 14, 2004]
Wallace White

Strength:

- Easy tool-free cam clamp
- Press-and-hold switch prevents accidental turn on/off but is easy to use with gloved hands.
- Good design (IMO).

- Not bright enough to be a headlight, so I just use the blink mode for safety. I got a larger light for dark rides, and I'm glad to know I can fall back on the Dual Spot's incandescent bulb if my main light fails.

I might recommend the three-LED version (the triple spot?) instead, since the Dual Spot is only really useful as a safety flasher and as a backup to a brighter light.