Planet Bike Alias Lights

Comes with Intellicharger Pug and Forget Recharging System. Quick-Cam light bracket for easy installation, removal and adjustment. Cord-mounted on/off switch. Planet Bike donates 25% of company profits to causes that promote the use of bicycles for the good of the planet. Alias comes with Spectra blue halogen bulb for cleaner, brighter light, also has low and full charge indicator on battery. Run Time: 1:16-3:40 Bulb: 9/12/15w blue spectra Battery: NiMH 4.5amp Weight: 535g

lucyfek   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2007]
Strength:

1. price (sale + 25% towards future purchases at PB, nice;)
2. brightness - what an improvement over CatEye HL-EL500 (even the one I've modded with 3W LED)
3. light pattern - could be wider right in front of the bike (to provide better visibility in tight corners), but overall I like it

1. battery life - rated at < 2hrs, it never ran out while i was riding but this is probably because I'm aware of it and try to plan my ride. has to be recharged after every longer ride/use (do not forget or you'll be looking for a backup).
2. wiring/switch - kinda hard to mount it "securely" and so it's not an eyesore. the cables would use an integrated plug to keep the dirt off while the battery is not mounted.
3. weight - ?, not really that much to complain.
4. charges overnight - one has to remember to get it ready for the next ride - few minutes before ride is too late

love it, makes the night rides so much more enjoyable and safe. huge leap forward over any LED (so far). affordable (saves a ton over HID) and hopefully if will last (can't see a reason why not).

Similar Products Used: CatEye HL-EL500 - not really similar as it is a LED light, also some other "halogens" powered with 2*C batteries (quite some time ago) and even some dynamo powered headlights (good old times). none of these really compares (maybe the dynamo thing if I pushed it really hard;)
Michael H   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2006]
Strength:

Bright light, good lighting pattern, battery indicator, compact parts, decent cable lengths so you can put things where they need to be without much fuss, smart charger

The cables *could* be a pain if you don't take the couple extra minutes needed to route them right when putting the light on your bike.

No helmet mount included.

This is an initial review is for the Alias SC (15 watt).

Overall this is an outstanding light for the money: nice and compact, good light output and a NiMH battery with smart charger. I've fussed around with a number of 10W systems that either didn't have different power settings or had heavy SLA batteries. Many of the features are typical of lights from bigger brands costing a lot more $$'s.

I found the the cable lengths were about perfect for my set-up, which should make it pretty good all around. My words of advice are to make sure you take the time to route the cables properly...if not, you're likely to gripe about the number of cables and their lengths.

The flashing mode is a little bit of overkill for a commuting "see me" light...I mean really, who needs an 8W blinker? I've got a little LED blinker I use instead so I can have all the juice for the trails. On trails at night, there is plenty of light for having fun at a relaxed pace or flying low through the bush.

I'm not big on a helmet mount yet, but I wouldn't have minded having the option without having to buy it seperately.

Overall, I'd say it is a great value and well featured light for someone who wants a "real" light (as compared to LED lights or what are little more than flashlights with handlebar mounts) and doesn't want to spend huge money.

Similar Products Used: several 10W SLA systems
Michael Gough   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2006]
Strength:

This light for the helmet or handlebars ROCKS !!! It is bright and small. The Alias SuperCircuit upgrade is also a great upgrade for the handlebars, but there is no helmet option for it.. until now - I figured out how to use the SuperCircuit on your helmet.

The Alias SuperCircuit needs to be available for the Helmet mount by the vendor.

This light is all that you need for handlebar mount for 10watt or the SuperCircuit upgrade to 15watt. With the Mod I have on my website you can make the SuperCircuit upgrade work on your helmet as well making the Alias lights the best option, light and powerful !!! All you need is to buy 3 connectors and modify as I show.

Regards,

MG

Similar Products Used: various 10watt lights
Hunter   [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Rechargable, Low battery indicator, Helmet/Removable mount, Great visibility, Long battery life

Funky battery, Too much cord

Just got this light and have used it for about 3 weeks. Use it on non-lit paved trails, and streets.

THE GOOD: Nice clean white light. Nice mount with varied positioning options. Seems to have a nice battery life. Added bonus based on the design - the light lacks a bottom bezel - is it lights up the very immediate area under you handlebars and a bit forward of that. It's nice in that it gives you that last minute emergency visibility and helps you not miss your water bottle cage(s).

THE BAD: Compared to most lights in this price point, the battery configuration is a bit of a puzzle. The light doesn't plug directly into the battery, but instead routes through a button/switch. This just adds more of a corded mess to have to manage on your frame (if you mount that way). Also, the battery is a bit longer than most and really only allows for mounting on top/bottom of your top tube. If you have a really compact frame or long legs you might run the risk of bumping it with your knees. While the mount is nice there is no "on the fly" adjusting. So no left/right or up/down swivel. You can force it up and down, but it only if it is not super tightened.

Over all this is a good "budget" light and will likely serve you well, but if you are willing to spend $20-$30 more you could probably get a better light.

Similar Products Used: Many many.
JJ   Weekend Warrior [Nov 07, 2006]
Strength:

Best buy for $100. Plenty of light for 3 hours.

A little temperamental. Some days it lasts longer than others. Charge quality questionable.

Great buy for such a good light. Lights up the trail with enough distance and diffusion to ride as if it's daytime. Not sure why some days it lasts longer than others. Hopefully there'll be a lithium battery upgrade. I'm buying another one for my son. I'm giving it a 4 because of the mixed experience with holding its charge.

Similar Products Used: None
Dimitri Demetrakopoulos   [Oct 03, 2006]
Strength:

Trail Tech MR11 Eclipse HID light
Ordered with the 6 degree spot. Puts out a lot of light.
Uses 13 watts, so it doesn't use too much of my battery.
I commute 40 km/day, 1/3 rual, 2/3 in the city. Since I put on this light, I have not had 1 car not see me, and cut me off. As my bike has electric assist, I am usually going between 40-50km/hour (25-30 miles/hour) In the morning commute when it is dark, the spot lets me easily see any potholes 30 feet in front of me.

The $109 gets you just the light, with cable. You need to supply the switch, and battery.
As I alrady had 48Volts on board, supplying the extra 12 wasmn't a problem.
This is the cheapest HID system you can get, but it is very rugged (made for motorcycles/atvs)

Yes, the HID lighting is expensive, but $109 is not too bad.
The energy efficiency, and light output make a difference.
The increased safety is well worth the cost.

Similar Products Used: LED light's that don't put out enough light.
M J   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2007]
Strength:

Really nice bright white light for a halogen. Excellent illumination in front of the bike for about 20 feet. Solid 2hr run time on high. Good quality and sturdy handlebar mount. Unbeatable price for what you get.

The biggest would be you can outrun this light. Though it really is bright, the throw is only about 20 feet. Lots of wires but that's ok at 75 bucks.

I doubt there is a better light for the money. The quality looks and feels excellent, battery runs as advertised, etc. I was going to use this as a back-up to an HID but it is so good in front of the bike, I now use it in conjunction w/ the HID. It is not a spot and probably not suited for the helmet. All that said, it's a great light on the bars w/ a spot on the helmet. Don't get me wrong, it's totally usable on it's own on the bars. You'll just have to slow down a bit on fast fire road descents.

At retail price of 189 or so, there are other choices now such as LED's. However, under 100 bucks, it's a no brainer. Possibly the best value under 100.

MJ

Similar Products Used: Niteriders and an HID.
Brent   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2006]
Strength:

Bright light, low cost, light weight, looks cool, comes with 2 handlebar mounts, for normal and OS bars.

Wiring setup was designed by a 4 year old.

If you buy this light, you will be happy with it. Its probably not the brightest out there, or the best design but for your money you cant go wrong. The light is very bright for 15w. The light is a blue/ white light, not yellow. Very light weight, battery indicator, smart charger, remote switch to change settings. The light casing is open on the bottom, so it actually throws a lot of light right in front of you, which makes it nice for crossing logs or such. However, I have a silver stem/ bars and this actually makes for a blinding reflection on my bars which sorta kills my eyes natural night vision. I am going to put some black tape on the stem to eliminate this reflection.
The only down side of the light is the wiring setup. You mount the battery to the frame, which is fine unless you have exposed cables... then its not so great, but still not bad. You then have a wire running to a little circuit thingy, that you have to velcro to your stem. Then another wire running to the remote switch that you mount on the bars. Then the light itself. So theres some extra wiring going on. That in itself doesnt bug me too much, however its non coiled wiring, so theres no stretch if one of these wires manages to snag on anything or get tangled up.

Similar Products Used: Niterider Digital Pro 12e (32w niterider), and niterider trail rat 2.0
Daniel Boice   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

The 10w lamp throws a terrific beam of light. I commute on a heavily wooded trail. A downed tree that my previous light didn't illuminate in time(& the resulting 14 stitches) convinced me of the need for more power, & this is the ticket. Lights up the path a long way ahead allowing for decent speed. I managed to break the lever on the mounting assembly (my bad) but Planet Bike had a new one in the mail that same day!

Battery's velcro straps make mounting around cables a bit tricky, & the cable is too short to allow placement anywhere besides high on the downtube.

Combination good product, great price, & outstanding customer service. What more do you want?